UKC

Bike vs horse controversy

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 Big Ger 28 Dec 2016
Just thought I'd stick this here out of interest. I'm neither a biker* nor a horsey person so no axe to grind.

http://www.cornwalllive.com/horse-spooked-by-illegal-motorbikes-on-popular-...

PS. if you check the vid they are not "motorbikes" as per link

* Except for my trusty SV 650
 Toby_W 28 Dec 2016
In reply to Big Ger:

Bit odd, the vid is 2014, there are no motor bikes and the two cyclists ( on hybrids) that seem to spook the horse are pulled over to the side waiting with the ladies son on his bmx to let the horse pass. The sound is also off?

I think it's click bait by the paper and they've made up and chosen the pics (riders by a bike park sign) to generate traffic.

Cheers

Toby

OP Big Ger 28 Dec 2016
In reply to Toby_W:

That was my impression too. Though the vid could be wrongly time stamped due to not setting up the camera properly.
 d_b 29 Dec 2016
In reply to Big Ger:

This is all going far too well for a UKC thread, so let me just state for the record that horses belong in fields* and have no business being on the road AND the cyclists are in the wrong for having the wrong number of wheels.

While I'm at it, pedestrians and car drivers are a menace and should be taken off the roads.

Space hoppers for all!

*or cans of dog food.
abseil 29 Dec 2016
In reply to Big Ger:

Give horses wheels and an engine, problem solved. [Sometimes I amaze myself]
 d_b 29 Dec 2016
In reply to abseil:

How many horsepower?
abseil 29 Dec 2016
In reply to davidbeynon:

> How many horsepower?

200. Then I can 1. win the Derby, and 2. take it on the M6
ceri 29 Dec 2016
In reply to Big Ger:

Looks like that horse was too spooky to be in an area where there are obviously specific cycle trails. It jumps around when it sees the bikes on their seperate trail then she rides towards the apparently stationary bikes and it bucks. Without sound they dont look like motorbikes to me?
In reply to abseil:

200. Then I can 1. win the Derby,

But only if it's a 3 year old engine!

Springfield 29 Dec 2016
In reply to Big Ger:

Horses have no place on roads with modern traffic levels, it's not fair on the horses above all else.
 JEF 29 Dec 2016
In reply to abseil:

> Give horses wheels and an engine, problem solved. [Sometimes I amaze myself]

What about the emissions though?
 EddInaBox 29 Dec 2016
In reply to Springfield:

Quite right, and since the horses were here first, the fair thing to do is to ban cars from any roads where horses might have a prior claim.
 JEF 29 Dec 2016
In reply to davidbeynon:

I think it was John Francome on channel 4 racing who said
"that horse won't win a race until he's inside a greyhound "
 phizz4 29 Dec 2016
In reply to Big Ger:

If it wasn't for horses you wouldn't have most of the roads that you can drive on! Everyone, cyclists, pedestrians, car drivers, horse riders, have a right to use the roads and paths and tracks that they are permitted to use, it just needs people to be more tolerant of each other. I walk, road bike, mountain bike and horse ride, as well as drive a car ( not all at the same time I would add, before some wag suggests it), and experience problems with other users in every discipline. There are just a few (my experience suggests 1 in 10) selfish or unthinking people who think that they own the highway and no one else should be on it. My horse is pretty good in traffic and with bikes, dogs etc. but at the end of the day you are dealing with flesh and blood ( not a mechanical device) so there will always be an element of unpredictability with animals.
 Trangia 29 Dec 2016
In reply to Springfield:

> Horses have no place on roads with modern traffic levels, it's not fair on the horses above all else.

Agreed. They should be banned from bridleways too because they churn up the mud which makes my walking boots dirty.
 Brass Nipples 29 Dec 2016
In reply to Springfield:

Ban cars, excellent idea to rid the roads of the pollution and danger.
abseil 29 Dec 2016
In reply to Hugh J:

> 200. Then I can 1. win the Derby,

> But only if it's a 3 year old engine!

OK and thanks for the input. I can't decide at the moment between an old Honda Jazz engine (nice and slow) and one off a Boeing 707, any thoughts?
abseil 29 Dec 2016
In reply to JEF:

> What about the emissions though?

I'm thinking about solar panels or possibly batteries
 Stone Idle 29 Dec 2016
In reply to Big Ger:

Just goes to show you can't trust a half tonne animal, but here we have a dodgy horse and a silly and incompetent rider. Plus some dodgy journos of course, but then, what's new?
 d_b 29 Dec 2016
In reply to EddInaBox:

It's obvious that motorways were designed for horse racing.
In reply to phizz4:

> Everyone, cyclists, pedestrians, car drivers, horse riders, have a right to use the roads

Car drivers are there by licence, not by right...
 Brass Nipples 29 Dec 2016
In reply to davidbeynon:

> It's obvious that motorways were designed for horse racing.

I wouldn't bet on that
 kedvenc72 29 Dec 2016
In reply to Big Ger:

All a bit weird and a non-story, inaccurate at that. Wo/man falls off spooked horse is like saying wo/man looses footing on gritstone slab. They're clearly not motorbikes and the article clearly says popular cycle track and bridleway (which are for cyclists as well). Horses tend to spook at bicycles (more than motorbikes but depends on horse) because they move fast and don't make much sound. She seemed a pretty competent rider to me but would've been more prudent to let the person with the headcam go first since the horse was obviously not happy with the bikes. On a more personal note, I'm a great believer in ritual sacrifice with a wicker man and as C3PO once said, big up the chest much junglist.

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...