UKC

PSA- Mountain Equipment Touch gloves

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 zimpara 30 Dec 2016
Soft shell Polartech ME gloves

https://www.alpinetrek.co.uk/mountain-equipment-womens-touch-glove-auslaufm...

£9.32 a pair!!! Just bought 2 pairs, should have bought more!

Just for reference, a review that delves into sizing.

youtube.com/watch?v=kWwQOmamc1E&
 Snot 30 Dec 2016
In reply to zimpara:

Was this just a ruse to make me listen to dubstep?
 neuromancer 30 Dec 2016
In reply to zimpara:
Zimpara, are you an ex-tom?

Every time I read your posts I can't help but think nobody but a tom could smoke so much crack.

Also; these are fleece gloves, not softshell?
Post edited at 17:20
OP zimpara 30 Dec 2016
In reply to neuromancer:
> Zimpara, are you an ex-tom?

Good guess. Quite a few Reg lads on here. Most are on a lower dose of crack though.

> Every time I read your posts I can't help but think nobody but a tom could smoke so much crack.

Try to stay off crack myself. ( makes me jitter )

> Also; these are fleece gloves, not softshell?

I thought polartec was softshell. I might be wrong, but fleece is fleece and polartec is polartec no?
Post edited at 19:57
 PPP 30 Dec 2016
In reply to zimpara:

Do you always keep crampons on your table or only when recording videos?
 TobyA 30 Dec 2016
In reply to zimpara:

> I thought polartec was softshell. I might be wrong, but fleece is fleece and polartec is polartec no?

No. But not having a clue about what you are talking about has never stopped you in the past, so why now?

By the way if people want thin stretchy gloves that you can use a touch screen with, you can get them for I think 2 quid from Decathlon. Get yourself a pair then you can do a whole comparison video on them Zimpers!

OP zimpara 31 Dec 2016
In reply to TobyA:

Send me a pair for review.
 Billhook 31 Dec 2016
In reply to zimpara:

A man doing a review of women's gloves?

Are we going to have a review of women's underwear next?
 andrewmc 31 Dec 2016
In reply to Dave Perry:
Sometimes there is very little difference between the mens and the womens stuff, except a) price (often cheaper on sale stuff), b) colours (often nicer in womens) and c) fit (often smaller, which is good if like me you usually Mens XS (or should be, less so thanks to Christmas) and most manufacturers don't make mens stuff below S.

That said, you would think that someone who spends their time reviewing gear and posting Youtube videos about it would learn the difference between a fabric manufacturer and different types and purposes of fabric.

Not a bad price for Powerstretch (in my unreliable opinion the finest fabric ever made) gloves, though there are cheaper (looking at the web HiGear do some!).
Post edited at 15:53
OP zimpara 01 Jan 2017
In reply to andrewmcleod:
Thanks for the good comment Andrew

> That said, you would think that someone who spends their time reviewing gear and posting Youtube videos about it would learn the difference between a fabric manufacturer and different types and purposes of fabric.

“Softshell” is a class of knit or woven materials, made from polyester and nylon".

That is my definition of softshell. Power stretch or polartec is soft shell then and not fleece in the craghoppers fleece sense of the word.
Post edited at 10:42
 marsbar 01 Jan 2017
In reply to zimpara:
I thought soft shell is like fleece but with an outside layer type thing?

http://www.fabricsolutions.com/wp-content/uploads/2015/05/softshell-fabric-...
Post edited at 11:05
 TobyA 01 Jan 2017
In reply to zimpara:

Polartec is a company zimpara, http://polartec.com/ the make dozens of different fabrics, probably 100s, and particularly famous for being the first big producers of fleece 30 odd years ago, indeed Polartec was an early name for their different weights of fleece, although I think they sold "Polarfleece" as their first branded fabric. That pilled though so Polartec was an improvement. The company was originally called Malden Mills but they seem to mainly use Polartec now for trading purposes.
 andrewmc 01 Jan 2017
In reply to zimpara:

It's hard to say exactly where you stole that quote from, since it is repeated all over the web...

Softshell is a vague and poorly-defined concept, and I'm not sure the idea of a 'softshell fabric' always makes great sense. You could make a softshell jacket from fleece or fleece-like material, such as Polartec 200, Polartec High Loft, Polartec Thermal Pro or even Polartec Alpha, and either a membrane or a face fabric such as Pertex Microlight, without ever using a 'softshell' fabric. Or you could use a non-membrane wind-blocking fleece material (one with a very dense arrangement of fibres, like Polartec Wind Pro, which might make a softshell jacket all on its own (although you might still add an face fabric) - is this a 'softshell' material? Wind Pro is definitely still a fleece.

What about Polartec Windbloc, Polartec Powershield or Polartec Powershield Pro (which is almost a waterproof material more akin to Neoshell) which incorporate membranes to make them wind/water resistant?

'A class of knit of woven materials, made from polyester and nylon' is a terrible definition for a number of reasons (albeit not your definition).

For a start not all are made from a mixture of polyester and nylon. By your own definition, Powerstretch is not a softshell since it consists of a mixture of polyester and Spandex (apparently a 'polyester-polyurethane co-polymer'). Powerstretch Pro adds a nylon layer on the outside to protect against abrasion or something like that - does that make it a softshell?

Secondly it doesn't actually give you any information about what makes a 'knit of woven materials' a softshell or not. I can tell you that fish are a class of animal, but I haven't told you anything about how to work out whether something is a fish or not (other than it must be an animal)...

Softshell and fleece are not mutually exclusive and are different classes of concept. Dubious analogy: you make a hardshell from a waterproof fabric; you make a softshell from a wind/water resistant fabric (which could include/be a fleece). Other people may have a different idea of what softshell is

e.g.
http://andy-kirkpatrick.com/articles/view/the_best_softshell_in_the_world
http://andy-kirkpatrick.com/articles/view/cut_the_crap1

To be clear - the reason you were talking rubbish was your lack of understanding of what Polartec is.

And yes, I am procrastinating
OP zimpara 01 Jan 2017
In reply to andrewmcleod:

I stole it from a website called (What the hell is softshell!)

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...