UKC

In my most humble opinion...

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 The Ice Doctor 30 Dec 2016
this is well worth a read.....

https://www.theguardian.com/us-news/2016/nov/30/political-correctness-how-t...

Very interesting....(don't label me a leftie please)
 Greasy Prusiks 30 Dec 2016
In reply to The Ice Doctor:

Snowflake. (Someone had to say it).

Worth a read in my opinion too, especially this section....

"But upon closer examination, “political correctness” becomes an impossibly slippery concept. The term is what Ancient Greek rhetoricians would have called an “exonym”: a term for another group, which signals that the speaker does not belong to it. Nobody ever describes themselves as “politically correct”. The phrase is only ever an accusation.

If you say that something is technically correct, you are suggesting that it is wrong – the adverb before “correct” implies a “but”. However, to say that a statement is politically correct hints at something more insidious. Namely, that the speaker is acting in bad faith. He or she has ulterior motives, and is hiding the truth in order to advance an agenda or to signal moral superiority. To say that someone is being “politically correct” discredits them twice. First, they are wrong. Second, and more damningly, they know it."
 wercat 30 Dec 2016

I first heard "not politically correct" used in the mid 80s by a friend who was in the Civil Service in London. I found it ("politically correct") a bizarre term and always it was a way of stifling other people's viewpoints
 Big Ger 30 Dec 2016

Like it or not, it's now common currency, and well understood.

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...