UKC

Want to do a lot of Alpine this winter in the UK

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 Chownsy 30 Dec 2016
Hi all,

I have been alpine before but not got to do much as the weather was so snowy that by the time we had hiked up to the pitch it was starting to get fading light and it was my first outing so didnt fancy night climbing.

Is anyone going to be climbing this year in either wales or the lake district that dont mind me tagging a long to learn more and also to get more alpine climbing done.

I have all the kit and its sitting un-used otherwise and I am missing being out in snowy/icy conditions.

I live in Worcestershire and dont mind driving people if it makes easier. Just have to work it around my shifts.

Richard
 GridNorth 30 Dec 2016
In reply to Chownsy:

I hate to be the one that has to break this to you but Winter climbing in the UK is NOT Alpine climbing, far from it.

Al
OP Chownsy 30 Dec 2016
In reply to GridNorth:

Maybe a wrong choice of words then, My apologies. "Winter climbing" then.
 Johnsulli 30 Dec 2016
In reply to Chownsy:

Hi pal. I'm a lake district local, this will be my first proper winter season but got out a fair bit last year on easy stuff. Available most weekends. Drop me an email and we can discuss. Same goes for anyone else keen to get out in the lakes when conditions eventually turn up again
 gordo 30 Dec 2016
In reply to Chownsy:

Good evening.

I am looking to do more this year and will be free most weekends. Based in Birmingham but currently working away in Yorkshire
OP Chownsy 30 Dec 2016
In reply to gordo:

okay brilliant, I bet all my shifts now will be weekends haha. But I know I will have some time off in feb.
OP Chownsy 30 Dec 2016
In reply to Johnsulli:

I will drop you an email shortly, thanks
 JohnBson 31 Dec 2016
In reply to Chownsy:

I'm based in Yorkshire. Can climb in the lakes and n. Wales and Scotland. I've got a rack and experience up to grade IV. I'm looking to gain experience for ML and would like to do longer days where possible.
OP Chownsy 31 Dec 2016
In reply to JohnBson:

Hi,
Drop me an email as well and can have a chat about getting out sometime too.
If possible I'd be out every day in between my shifts.
 Renfrew1 03 Jan 2017
In reply to JohnBson:

Hey,

Drop me an email as i'm trying to work on my winter skills at the moment and keen to get out.

Al
In reply to Renfrew1:

To all on this thread and anyone else interested:

I am booked in for Winter ML assessment w/c 20 March.

Keen to get out with others in the same situation. Also those relatively new to the game who'd like some support in winter walking and low grade climbs.

My programme is still taking shape but likely in Scotland roughly Feb 5-16, Feb 24-March 1 and March 11-16. Sheffield based and keen to carry passengers for some company on the long drive, and a fuel contribution.
Tobytittickler 09 Jan 2017
In reply to fairweatherclimber:

I did a lot of climbing 5 years ago but not a lot since. Looking to get back into it wherever. I've climbed Wales and Scotland. Live in cheltenham. Happy with a trip anywhere. Happy leading iii iv
AHS 10 Jan 2017
In reply to Chownsy:

Hey Richard,

I am going to be in the lakes based in Kendal all next week. Driving up on Saturday. Im hoping things turn a little more wintry over the next few days but will be out and about in the lakes regardless. Let me know if you are heading up. Things might get good towards the end of next week. Fingers crossed.

I climb WI 5/6 and have done a fair bit of mixed winter climbs in Norway (NO grade 4/5) but this is my first visit to the lakes in winter- should be fun!
In reply to Tobytittickler:

Ok thanks.

I'm going to tighten up my plans in the next week or two, so I'll drop you a line then.
OP Chownsy 12 Jan 2017
In reply to AHS:

My shifts are all next week

I am free from the 27th Jan until about the 6th Feb so far.

Richard

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...