UKC

New Car

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 goldmember 31 Dec 2016
We've outgrown are current car.

Thinking of getting a new one, I know the standard ukc advice on the matter is a Octavia Estate and I really like them, however.

I've found two other deals on 2013 Mondeo and Passat both 2L TDI cars, both quite low mileage and cheaper than a similar Octavia.

Has any an experience of owning and living with these cars, Please share your thoughts? any common know issues?
 gethin_allen 31 Dec 2016
In reply to goldmember:

Go ford I say. They are enormous.
 poppydog 31 Dec 2016
In reply to goldmember:

Aren't the Passat and Octavia more or less the same? I use a Skoda Yeti: two kids, dog, roof box, trailer, climbing, surfing and scuba equipment no problem.
 pavelk 31 Dec 2016
In reply to goldmember:

Ford is the best choice I think. Their common rail engines are little sensitive to diesel quality but it´ s not a real problem in Britain I guess.
VW 2L TDI engines are not the best - they have got week crankshafts
 pavelk 31 Dec 2016
In reply to poppydog:

Octavia is smaller. Passat is the size of Superb
 Fraser 31 Dec 2016
In reply to pavelk:
Really? I was in my first Superb recently - a taxi - and it definitely felt more spacious than a Passat.

Edit: did a quick Google which suggests the Superb is larger:
http://www.autoexpress.co.uk/skoda/superb/92079/back-in-business-skoda-supe...
Post edited at 16:16
OP goldmember 31 Dec 2016
In reply to Fraser:

I like the Ford more. Need to test drive, what should I look, smell and feel for?
 The New NickB 31 Dec 2016
In reply to Fraser:

Traditionally the Octavia shared the same platform as the Golf and the Superb shared the same platform as the Passat, now they all use a modular system. The Superb may be slightly larger than the Passat, but the Passat is significantly larger than the Octavia.
 Fraser 31 Dec 2016
In reply to The New NickB:

I was bored so c&p'd this from carwow.co.uk. All relate to the saloon versions of the cars:

Octavia: 4659 (L-ext) x 1814 (W-ext); h'room: 983 (f) & 980 (r); boot space: 590L; w'base: 2686
Passat: 4767 (L-ext) x 1832 (W-ext); h'room: 989 (f) & 964 (r); boot space: 586L; w'base: 2791
Superb: 4861 (L-ext) x 2031 (W-ext); h'room: 1004 (f) & 980 (r); boot space: 625L; w'base: 2841

Unfortunately they didn't seem to list all relevant internal dims, which are probably the most useful stats. What was most surprising to me was how much wider the Superb is, at least externally.

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...