UKC

NEWS: UKC Christmas Climbing Quiz: The Answers

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 UKC News 01 Jan 2017
Tody's Wall, 3 kbThank you to all 795 of you who took part in our Christmas Quiz. We are happy that it proved to be challenging, but are not convinced by the cries of 'sandbag!'. Congratulations to Ally Smith, who leads the pack with 78%.

To put you out of your agony, here are the answers...

Read more
 TobyA 01 Jan 2017
In reply to UKC News:

"A Dream of White Horses: seeing equines in your sleep. (8,2,5,6)"
The number of letters is confusing on this one.
In reply to TobyA:

Indeed. It was changed before the quiz went live, for some reason I'd written 'Dreaming of White Horses' at first!
 Michael Gordon 01 Jan 2017
In reply to UKC News:

Can't believe I didn't get Banana Wall! Such an obvious clue too
 stp 01 Jan 2017
In reply to UKC News:

Wondering if anyone got the photo of Tody's Wall right. Looks like it could have been the top of any one of a hundred or so different gritstone routes.
In reply to stp:
I thought it might be 'The Cow' at Ilkley?
 jon 01 Jan 2017
In reply to UKC News:

I think Tiger Snot as an anagram of Gritstone is awfully well chosen. Well done Natalie...!
In reply to jon:

I think I'm most proud of 'Bum licking'...but it's not hard when you have an anagram generator!
 ripper 01 Jan 2017
In reply to Natalie Berry - UKC:

UKC will forever be bumlicking.com to me now
 Sean Kelly 01 Jan 2017
In reply to stp:

> Wondering if anyone got the photo of Tody's Wall right. Looks like it could have been the top of any one of a hundred or so different gritstone routes.

As was Direct Route on the Mot, but the crossword was very easy.
 Andrew Barker 01 Jan 2017
In reply to UKC News:

I was particularly pleased to get Hairy Mary considering I've never been to the crag it's on. However, that was quickly cancelled out by a feeling of shame at not getting The File having climbed it a couple of times! It was a very good choice for a quiz photo of such a well-known route.
 Michael Hood 02 Jan 2017
In reply to Andrew Barker: That was the only photo I got (bit annoyed at not realising Tody's or Direct Route as both photo's looked so familiar), realised it was Higgar from the bends on the road!

jon 02 Jan 2017

> > "A Dream of White Horses: seeing equines in your sleep. (8,2,5,6)" The number of letters is confusing on this one.

> Indeed. It was changed before the quiz went live, for some reason I'd written 'Dreaming of White Horses' at first!

So anyone who got it right... got it wrong?
In reply to jon:

No it was all sorted in the quiz. I copied and pasted the previous version of answers without realising in the solution article and changed the answer but not the word numbers.
 jon 02 Jan 2017

I was just teasing!
 zimpara 02 Jan 2017

Sandbagged!
 stp 02 Jan 2017
In reply to Sean Kelly:

> As was Direct Route on the Mot

Yeah I was totally convinced that was another grit route somewhere. Obviously miles off that one.

jon 02 Jan 2017
In reply to stp:

> Yeah I was totally convinced that was another grit route somewhere.

Ha, me too. Don't remember the grassy ledge below. The rock even looks like grit.
 Brown 02 Jan 2017
In reply to UKC News:

I thought the Prozac Link was the cop out finish to the Screaming Abdabs which climbs the bottom two and a half pitches of the original route before avoiding the crux E6 roof.

It looks like they are on pitch two in the photo.

Michael Gordon 02 Jan 2017
In reply to Brown:

Yes, in theory it could be either route. But though the harder line was put up first, the E4 has become the classic and therefore the 'main' route?
 Brown 02 Jan 2017
In reply to Michael Gordon:

I'm just remembering reading about it in the old guide that came as part of the Skye and Hebrides double set.

It looks stunning either way.

(I'm going to mentally award myself another point)

Misha 02 Jan 2017
In reply to UKC News:

Gave up quickly on the anagrams yet they're all so obvious... very good!
 Michael Gordon 03 Jan 2017
In reply to Misha:

Mina looks like a difficult one - definitely did not get that. I also wonder how many who've done Ardverikie didn't get the photo?!
 Martin Hore 03 Jan 2017

> Mina looks like a difficult one - definitely did not get that. I also wonder how many who've done Ardverikie didn't get the photo?!

Well, me for one. But then I've done several of the others (Tody's Wall, Direct on the Mot) several times and didn't get them either.
Martin
 lithos 03 Jan 2017

me !

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...