UKC

Mammut QC issues?

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 Steve nevers 02 Jan 2017
Are Mammut know for poor quality control?

Recently purchased a Xeron jacket from them, and the pertex outer is ruined from strap-rub from a lightweight backpack containing only climbing shoes! grand total of about 30 mins walking and the outer on the back is pulled, stretched and torn.

Is this whats expected from Pertex? Had hoped it would be a lot more hardwearing.

Generally thought a jacket would be able to take simple wear and tear a lot better,and am hugely disappointed.
 L.A. 02 Jan 2017
In reply to Steve nevers:
I had one of these jackets. Found it to be really tough and very warm. No issues with it at all.
If I were you Id see if Go Outdoors will help you out with it assuming thats where you got it from ?
Good luck with it
Post edited at 16:16
OP Steve nevers 02 Jan 2017
In reply to L.A.:

Thanks, did purchase it from them, its the black.grey combo one. Grey material is ruined.
Called GoOutdoors to discuss returning it, amazed that its gone torn and bobbled in a day!
 zimpara 02 Jan 2017
My mountain equipment Lightline got strap rub from a backpack the first day I owned /used it around TOWN! It is one of those things unfortunately I believe. Lower back for me though.

This is easily fixed with a better backpack. Vango Khumbu 40l is the offending pack and no further damage with a Haglofs Roc Speed 40
What is yours out of interest?
Post edited at 17:20
 Neil Williams 02 Jan 2017

> Are Mammut know for poor quality control?

I'd be very surprised - they are Swiss, and Swiss culture is *very* much about designing something up to a spec and doing it properly, not down to a price. Cutting corners is really not in their culture.

Possibly just bad luck (some stuff gets through any QC process). Have you contacted them?
In reply to Neil Williams:

> Possibly just bad luck (some stuff gets through any QC process). Have you contacted them?

Have attempted too, no reply as of yet.

First Mammut purchase so was expecting a little more quality. Guess it may be a flawed item.

In reply to zimpara:

Lower back for me though.

Lower back for me too, well more above the hips where the straps connect. Packs a Lowe Alpine thingy.

zimpara 02 Jan 2017
If you can get a new jacket, then you should. And I wish I had.

With that said. Another pack will more than likely stop that. It's the packs and nothing to do with a bad jacket, I mean you are wearing a ruby chaffie backpack on a £150 insulated jacket.
Post edited at 17:59
 TobyA 02 Jan 2017

Sounds bizarre to me. I've had numerous jackets made out of all different types of Pertex and never seen that. Can you post a pic of it somewhere? Can't really imagine what "ruined" would look like with pertex, you can get holes in it sure, but abraded really badly that quickly sounds odd.
 zimpara 02 Jan 2017
In reply to TobyA:

Imagine pulled/fluffed up threads
 thlcr1 02 Jan 2017

Had the same problem on a Xeron. It was at the front where the rucksack strap sits. A large area has pulled threads and sort of puckered up. Happened in the space of one short walk. The fabric is supposed to be a mix of pertex endurance and quantum. The damage is on the lighter quantum. I've also got a Rab generator which is also quantum, but feels like a completely different fabric to the Mammut. That has little sign of damage after several years of heavy use. Not particularly happy!

Lee
 TobyA 02 Jan 2017
In reply to thlcr1:

Weird. Did you take yours back? If the material starts abrading that quickly sounds like they just picked a really poor fabric for the job.
In reply to TobyA:
Could it just be some kind of adverse fabric interaction? I've got Rab Vapourise Guide trousers (Pertex Endurance I think they are) that very quickly abraded, but only where they have contact with the front Paramo jacket draw string area. Not the sides or back, but just the front of the legs - probably there is a see sawing friction effect?.
 thlcr1 02 Jan 2017
In reply to TobyA:

I've had the jacket for nearly 2 years. Didn't really use it on the hill, more of an about town jacket. Then a few weeks ago was going for a little amble on a frosty windy day ane decided to throw the jacket on. Sort of assumed it was way of warranty. If I can find the receipt, I suppose it wouldn't do any harm to go an ask at the local Go Outdoors,

Lee
 marsbar 02 Jan 2017

Not known for it as far as I know, hope you get it sorted
OP Steve nevers 03 Jan 2017
In reply to thlcr1:

The fabric is supposed to be a mix of pertex endurance and quantum. The damage is on the lighter quantum.

Thats the exact same issue here. The lighter material is all pulled threads and bobbled.

Just a bit annoyed as its quite possibly the warmest item i own, but as i tend to be the one lugging kit about i cant really keep a jacket thats that delicate.
 Siward 03 Jan 2017

This pertex quantum is a really light fabric isn't it? Sleeping bag inner sort of stuff. I've never seen the sort of damage you describe on pertex4 or 6 (if they still exist).

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...