UKC

Warning: Pen Y Fan Will Be Crowded Saturday

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 Rob Naylor 04 Jan 2017

For anyone thinking of walking in the Brecon Beacons this coming Saturday (7th Jan), be aware that there's a civilian "Fan Dance" event running, which means about 400 people on Pen Y Fan and environs. Probably best to go somewhere else if seeking solitude in the hills!

Also, car parking around the Storey Arms will be virtually impossible, unless you get a very early start.
Post edited at 11:14
 Welsh Kate 04 Jan 2017
In reply to Rob Naylor:

Car parking around Storey Arms is virtually impossible most weekends these days, unless the weather's minging!
In reply to Welsh Kate:

> Car parking around Storey Arms is virtually impossible most weekends these days, unless the weather's minging!

Absolute chaos there on Monday this week ... even some twonk managed to block in an MRT vehicle!!
Moley 04 Jan 2017
In reply to Rob Naylor:

I've never quite understood the attraction of Pen y fan from Storey Arms, but I guess it gives a lot of people some exercise and fresh air in the hills in relative safety - a good thing. But Storey Arms on a nice weekend is ridiculous and as for walkers parking!!
 Welsh Kate 04 Jan 2017
In reply to Moley:

We drove a couple of kms down the road and had a lovely quiet bimble into Craig Cerrig Gleisiad on monday - hardly met a soul, and fantastic views of snowy hills
All you have to do is walk up the other side of the A470 because everyone else is so focused on Pen y Fan!
 gethin_allen 04 Jan 2017
In reply to exiled_northerner:

> Absolute chaos there on Monday this week ... even some twonk managed to block in an MRT vehicle!!

I wonder if the traffic wardens went up there again this year, last year over 100 tickets were issued on car parked in stupid places.

It's becoming the pen y pass of the Brecon Beacons and they are discussing putting charges in place soon to make it even more like pen y pass.

I usually head around to the north if I'm parking in the area but fear if they put charges at storey arms and not in the north carpark more people will be tempted to go to the north carpark and this will cause chaos on the tiny roads.
 Welsh Kate 04 Jan 2017
In reply to gethin_allen:

Didn't see any Heddlu or Traffic Wardens at all this year. There are already charges at Cwm Gwdi on the north side which is already National Trust, and it's a much tougher walk than from either Pont ar Daf or Storey Arms, so I suspect if the punters aren't prepared to pay when they put in the new car park (if they get planning permission), they'll still park on the verges.

Was talking to the NP warden a few days ago though and it seemed he certainly was looking for sensible charging for the car park to avoid that.
Moley 04 Jan 2017
In reply to Welsh Kate:

Agreed, there's so many alternatives, living nearer Fan Brycheiniog that end is my choice when I head up there.

But I guess Pen y Fan offers people the security of an easy to follow path and loads of other walkers around them. The average walker simply isn't very adventurous nor likes being alone?

I drove home from Cardiff a year ago on a snowy weekend, it was mayhem up there with wardens ticketing cars all over, chaos simply to drive through.
Moley 13 Jan 2017
In reply to Rob Naylor:

I think this weekend may be even more crowded up there. Pen y fan + snow + weekend = chaos.
OP Rob Naylor 13 Jan 2017
In reply to Moley:

Well there's a whole centimetre of snow where I am in Kent and it's already total chaos
 Rob Exile Ward 13 Jan 2017
In reply to gethin_allen:

It is totally bizarre. We knew nothing about Sunday's event so rocked up anyway, and as planned turned west and walked over Fan Fawr and Fan Llia. I think we saw a total of 6 people all day, and 3 of those seemed to turn back within 100 yards of the road.

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...