UKC

Backpack for a begginer

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Augusttors 05 Jan 2017
This is my first post, I'm new to the mountaineering thing and i would like to buy a new backpack. I want something that is durable vs super lightweight. Any opinions ?
I have seen the millet prolighter 38, the lowe alpine alpine attack, the black diamond speed and the simond mountain backpack 33.

Good Climbs
August
 wbo 05 Jan 2017
In reply to Augusttors: this is for general walking, mountaineering use ? All of those are pretty solid choices so whatever you like the best - try them on, just have a poke and prod. As it's your first sack it won't hurt to see them in the flesh. FWIW in that size I use an Osprey Mutant

zimpara 05 Jan 2017
In reply to wbo:

I chop and change my gear incessantly, So my advice would be to buy something you really like, not the flashiest or the most impressive or the best on paper. Millet is good gear. I would also have a simond. I would personally never have a Lowe or a BD speed. Not particularly useful I know but if it was my money, definitely the Millet.

Have a Haglofs Roc speed 40 right now though.
Good luck.
In reply to Augusttors:

I've got a Lowe Alpine Attack mainly because there was a deal on it. There's a few too many straps hanging off it for my taste but apart from that its been fine and has good flexibility over a range of loads.
 UKH Forums 05 Jan 2017
This thread was started in the EXPEDITION & ALPINE forum and has now been moved.
Please could you try and post in the correct forum, it makes life easier for both users and moderators.

Climbing Gear
Post all your climbing gear-related questions here. You know how you love comparing Friends with Camalots!
More Forum descriptions - http://www.ukclimbing.com/forums/info/forums.html
In reply to Augusttors:

This recent group test of 35-45 litre packs might be a good place to start: https://www.ukhillwalking.com/gear/review.php?id=8649
 marsbar 05 Jan 2017
In reply to Augusttors:

I'd suggest trying them on before deciding. What one person finds comfortable isn't the same as another. Carrying an uncomfortable bag all day isn't fun.
 zimpara 05 Jan 2017
In reply to marsbar:

> Carrying an uncomfortable bag all day isn't fun.

Absolutely agree, My haglofs is nearly unbearable
 Sean_J 05 Jan 2017
In reply to zimpara:

So why do you keep using it? Or even, why buy it in the first place?
 zimpara 05 Jan 2017
In reply to Sean_J:

Just...can't...take.... meah...less...gear...urghhh
 olddirtydoggy 06 Jan 2017
In reply to Augusttors:

Montane medusa 32 is on offer in a good few places. Tends to fit most backs without much pain. Light and tough.

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...