UKC

Recommend headtorch

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 adrspach 06 Jan 2017
I am looking for new headtorch. The catch is that I am looking for headtorch with the light source colour more into natural spectrum than present blue ish which i have seen so far.
Anybody can advise? Thank you
 WildCamper 06 Jan 2017
In reply to adrspach:

You dont really seem to get "warm" led headlights thats more of an incandescent bulb thing. All the modern Cree etc are blue...

Havent seen a none led headlight for years :/
 LG-Mark 06 Jan 2017
In reply to WildCamper:

> Havent seen a none led headlight for years :/

I certainly don't lament the passing of my old Petal Zoom 😀 give me a bucket load of LED lumens any day!
 zimpara 06 Jan 2017
In reply to adrspach:

Find pictures of people painting with light to find what options throw warm over cold. I have seen a few on here but don't know what they are.
 DaveHK 06 Jan 2017
In reply to adrspach:

Can I ask why?
 benp1 06 Jan 2017
In reply to adrspach:

Check out Zebralight, they do a warm tint option
OP adrspach 08 Jan 2017
In reply to adrspach:

Reaso why I am looking for warmer colour is that when is misty/drizly like it was on New Years eve on Snowdon with blue light of my Petzl was absolutely useless giving me visibility under 5 m. When I have increased power of the torch it was even worse.
 deepsoup 08 Jan 2017
In reply to adrspach:

That's not really to do with the colour of the light is it?

I'd have thought it's more to do with the torch being physically so close to your eyes, and shining through the mist right in front of your face.

Being rather slow and wheezy, I occasionally have similar problems running on humid nights even when it's perfectly clear - the light just illuminates a cloud of steam right in front of my face and it's dazzling so I can't see a flippin thing beyond it. I find the answer to that is to use either whip the head torch off my head and hold it in my hand, or to use a proper hand-held torch.

Sorry if I've got the wrong end of the stick and am stating the bleedin obvious here.
OP adrspach 09 Jan 2017
In reply to deepsoup:

Perhaps bleedin obvious however, what I am looking for is more functional than this. My old torches did have the same issue as you describe but not as exadurated as the new one. Just if you get somewhere on two handed job remember your advice about holding hand torch and good luck.
 pavelk 09 Jan 2017
In reply to adrspach:

These guys might help you
http://luciferlights.net/
They use 4000 K led which are little yellow (and they are very helpful)
 thedatastream 09 Jan 2017
In reply to adrspach:

The colour temperature of my Alpkit Gamma main beam is on the warm side, a little too much for my taste.
 deepsoup 09 Jan 2017
In reply to adrspach:
> Just if you get somewhere on two handed job remember your advice about holding hand torch and good luck.

Well I was talking about running/walking. Fortunately, when I do find myself on two handed job I generally manage to muddle through somehow without being able to see very much further than the length of my arms.

Thanks though! Good luck to you too in your endeavours to see further through the clag by squinting directly along a beam of slightly more yellowy light.
OP adrspach 09 Jan 2017
In reply to adrspach:

Thank you guys for any advice given. I am hard on my tools but still trying to look after them as there are not many which fit my needs. Had Gammas before (got fed up with unpredictable durability). Will speak to those Czech guys and we will see what happens.
 Ridge 09 Jan 2017
In reply to deepsoup:
I'd agree with you. Running in mist or drizzle with a headtorch is a pain, and high output LEDs just make it worse. Last time it was misty I took a small high output LED hand torch with me to play about with, and it was far more effective than using the headtorch. Not sure how a different colour LED would improve things.
Post edited at 20:40
 thedatastream 10 Jan 2017
In reply to thedatastream:

Correction, I meant Viper (Mk 1).

Edit button for original post appears to have disappeared.
 deepsoup 10 Jan 2017
In reply to thedatastream:

> Edit button for original post appears to have disappeared.

They do that. You get about half an hour to edit/delete a post before the glue sets and it's permanent.

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...