UKC

Noel Conway

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 mypyrex 07 Jan 2017
Yesterday I saw the news item about this poor gentleman who is suffering fro Motor Neuron Disease and wants the law changed to legalise assisted suicide in cases such as his.

I admit I am open minded about such matters however, being an outdoor type, it brought a tear to my eye when I realised what an active life he had led - walking, ski-ing and climbing. He is 67 and I think it's true to say that many of us of a similar age like to think we've still got a few years to look forward to albeit at a slower pace. This chap, despite his active life, is now stricken by this awful condition. How terrible to have led a fit and active life and then to be struck down becoming, in his own words, a prisoner in his own body.

We all moan occasionally about trivia yet most of us are so lucky not to be so afflicted. Spare a thought for others like Noel.
Moley 07 Jan 2017
In reply to mypyrex:

I too really felt for him and the future he faces, which is horrifying; he put his case across with great dignity.

I know the assisted dying argument will always polarise people and opinions (sure it will on UKC) but personally I feel strongly that the choice should ultimately be with the sufferer. How we get to the place where everyone accepts their wishes I don't know.
 Big Ger 07 Jan 2017
In reply to Moley:
I don't think there is much polarisation of opinion, I think the majority are in favour of voluntary euthanasia, albeit with checks and balances in place.

The only real opposition comes from those of a god bothering bent who think that their belief trumps other's right to decide for themselves.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/health/6293695.stm
Post edited at 22:04
 john arran 07 Jan 2017
In reply to Big Ger:

It's rare that I find myself agreeing with you, so

... have a 'like'.
 Big Ger 07 Jan 2017
In reply to john arran:

My thanks John.
baron 07 Jan 2017
In reply to Big Ger:
That'll be the large majority of MPs who oppose any attempt to introduce legislation?
Gone for good 07 Jan 2017
In reply to baron:

The BMA also voted against assisted dying at last year's conference. The majority of Doctors are also against euthanasia.
 Big Ger 07 Jan 2017
In reply to baron:
No one ever accused politicians of being brave.

> Others spoke of their religious convictions. Opposing the bill, Caroline Spelman said “life is a gift from God with all the pain and suffering that it entails”. Ms Spelman’s colleague, Sir Edward Leigh, agreed, asking “what kind of society do we want to create?” when legislation supports the extinguishing of an “eternal soul”
Post edited at 22:44
baron 07 Jan 2017
In reply to Gone for good:
This always confuses me.
I would have thought that, seeing the things that they must see, that doctors would want to put an end to suffering, oath or no oath.
Gone for good 07 Jan 2017
In reply to baron:

I suppose the hippocratic oath compels them to preserve rather than end life.

I will respect the privacy of my patients, for their problems are not disclosed to me that the world may know. Most especially must I tread with care in matters of life and death. If it is given me to save a life, all thanks. But it may also be within my power to take a life; this awesome responsibility must be faced with great humbleness and awareness of my own frailty. Above all, I must not play at God.
baron 07 Jan 2017
Yes, sort of ties their hands. Certainly as far as openly supporting euthanasia.
Moley 08 Jan 2017

> The BMA also voted against assisted dying at last year's conference. The majority of Doctors are also against euthanasia.

Do they worry about the potential repercussions of being involved in an assisted euthanasia? A relative of the deceased (who is very strongly against these actions) may then mount legal challenges against the doctor involved for taking a life?
Perhaps doctors see it as another burden on their shoulders with possible dire consequences - just a thought.

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...