/ Keela Belay Pro Jacket

Please Register as a New User in order to reply to this topic.
Westy on 08 Jan 2017
Hi all, just wondering if anyone has any experience of the Keela Belay Pro Jacket?

http://www.keela.co.uk/belay-pro-jacket.html#product_tabs_description_tabbed

The insulation looks pretty good, but it doesn't appear to have a hood?! How essential is that?

I'm heading to Scotland for a week in Feb, and was wondering if this would be any good as a belay jacket?

Any thoughts appreciated.
Dave Kerr - on 08 Jan 2017
In reply to Westy:

> it doesn't appear to have a hood?! How essential is that?

I think it is essential, makes a massive difference.

purplemonkeyelephant - on 08 Jan 2017
In reply to Westy:

If my neck and head aren't warm then I'm not warm. Has to have a hood IMO.
Dell on 09 Jan 2017
In reply to Westy:

They do a seperate hood.

http://www.keela.co.uk/sherpa-hood.html
mac fae stirling - on 09 Jan 2017
In reply to Westy:

You could pick up a Montane Prisim jckt for less money, hood and all.
Bish - on 09 Jan 2017
In reply to Westy:

I have one that I use for work. I don't find it that warm if I'm honest. It has more fill than all my other jackets but still feels colder.

A lack of adjustable bottom hem and hood are some of the downsides to the jacket.

A prism jacket has a quarter of the insulation weight of the keela so will see be colder even if it does have a hood.
angry pirate - on 09 Jan 2017
In reply to Westy:

I'd agree with the above comments re a hood.
Have you tried one on? It looks a little short to me. I used to have a Paramo Torres belay smock which was chock full of insulation but was short so didn't cover the bum well and I always cold in it. I now use a Rab Alpine Generator which has much less filling but is a cracking length and is much warmer as a result.
IMHO a belay jacket should cover the bum/groin to be useful (should also have a 2-way zip so you can access the belay loop)
ads.ukclimbing.com
Westy on 09 Jan 2017
In reply to angry pirate:

> Have you tried one on? It looks a little short to me. I used to have a Paramo Torres belay smock which was chock full of insulation but was short so didn't cover the bum well and I always cold in it. I now use a Rab Alpine Generator which has much less filling but is a cracking length and is much warmer as a result.

I've not tried it on, so have no idea about the sizing, but I take your point about longer being better!

Appreciate the thoughts re:hood, I've emailed Keela to see if their separate one attaches to the jacket.

Please Register as a New User in order to reply to this topic.