/ Buying furniture.

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
nocker - on 09 Jan 2017
For financial reasons I tend to be a "careful" shopper when buying expensive household items. We have been looking to replace our suite and after weeks of consideration we had pretty well made up our choice from similar suites from three different "high street" store branches. I belatedly thought to look at some customer reviews online and was shaken to read quite a number for each of the three store brands. Typically they were positive for purchasing experience etc, but almost universally poor for product quality and after sales. I am aware of "buyer beware" but I would appreciate any general advice about navigating these dilemas and also opinion about the reliability of reviews, etc. Thanks
deacondeacon - on 09 Jan 2017
In reply to nocker:
My wife and I have moved around a fair bit in the twelve years we've been together and have ended up buying a sofa four times. Twice from ikea and twice from big sofa showrooms. Ikeas were far better quality for the money than the other two.
I suppose you get what you pay for but I really think your pound stretches a bit Further at ikea ( they also don't try and bamboozle you with lying sales pitches and 'buy now, pay when it's f**ked' deals).
Post edited at 17:50
arch - on 09 Jan 2017
In reply to deacondeacon:
Ill second Ikea sofas. Very well made, came in four parts and just needed bolting together. Tools provided as well. Very sturdy and comfortable.

Our Daughters whole house is Ikeaed out. 32 boxes of the stuff, conveniently delivered to dads house so he can "check" it's all there..........Some nice stuff.

Post edited at 19:41
gethin_allen on 09 Jan 2017
In reply to nocker:

I'd say buy it on a credit card as a starter just in case the company/shop folds before your stuff arrives.
I need to buy a new sofa or two and I've been putting it off for ages because they are just to difficult to compare and determine what you get for your money.

Like a few people have said above, Ikea seems reasonable; the stuff I've sat on (in rented accommodation) has been pretty good and survived years of student grade abuse. Saying this, their prices have been rising gradually and worst of all you'll probably have to go to one of their shops and you may never find the way out.
Neil Williams - on 09 Jan 2017
In reply to arch:

I'm sitting on an Ikea sofa, entirely happy with it.
Neil Williams - on 09 Jan 2017
In reply to gethin_allen:

I feaaar Ikeaaaaaa...
Party Boy on 09 Jan 2017
In reply to nocker: When our sofas were damaged by a water leak the insurance company insisted that we replace them from DFS. Not a problem, or so we thought. New sofas were delivered and I noticed that a leg on one of them was too far away from the corner. Called DFS and they said they would send a 'technician' to sort it. Technician arrived and proceeded to drill a new hole in the base to move the leg...he seemed to be struggling so I asked him if he wanted to use my Dewalt drill. He said that may help so I gave it to him; he couldn't get his drill bit in so asked me how to tighten it. When I proceeded to put his bit in I noticed it was a masonry bit!! Explained to him that masonry bits aren't very good for wood and he was totally perplexed. Would never buy from DFS...

gethin_allen on 10 Jan 2017
In reply to Party Boy:

... Explained to him that masonry bits aren't very good for wood and he was totally perplexed. Would never buy from DFS...

A while back I was trying to explain to a neighbour between HSS and masonry drills after she was moaning that her new drill was useless and was taking ages to put a small hole in a gate post. Initially I thought she'd hit the re-bar but then saw she was using a HSS in concrete.
girlymonkey - on 10 Jan 2017
In reply to gethin_allen:

However, she was, presumably, not there in an official capacity as a 'technician'! It's one thing Joe Public not knowing these things (I would know that I needed to check the bit, but would have to find further information as to which was which - I couldn't tell by looking), but the person being paid to do it should know!
ads.ukclimbing.com
toad - on 10 Jan 2017
In reply to Neil Williams:
You don't need a book case called billy, or a table called Sven?

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.