UKC

Dog Days of January

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 Babika 09 Jan 2017
Ok, maybe it's me. But this time of year just seems profoundly depressing.

Short daylight and no twinkly expectation of festivities going on. Not cold enough for proper snow and ice, too wet for enjoying walks or working in the garden.

A long gap to payday........

I think there's something in this SAD phenomenon. I need a pick-me-up.......
 aln 09 Jan 2017
In reply to Babika:

Try one of these

hfttp://tinyurlcom/hjas75h
 Yanis Nayu 09 Jan 2017
In reply to Babika:

Are you in a position to plan a trip or holiday, something to look forward to?
 TheFasting 09 Jan 2017
In reply to Babika:

Not cold enough? I thought January was the coldest month of the year
 Timmd 09 Jan 2017
In reply to Babika:
What else can you do but crack on until the gloom has passed? There's probably something you can do that's productive or similar, to do and feel better about doing?

If all else fails buy some dark chocolate and eat some? It's scientifically been found to be good for one's mood.

I've been thinking about my Mum today, with it being just over 3 years last September since she passed away, and our first Xmas (just gone) with my Dad's new partner.

Whatever the cause, the gloom seems to eventually pass.
Post edited at 19:52
 Dave the Rave 09 Jan 2017
In reply to Babika:

As lot is about motivation and exercise, exercise and more exercise.
Had a pretty w--k few days and was right pissed off, but took the mutt out up Moel Famau with the headtorch and now it's all groovy! Slurp !
 gethin_allen 09 Jan 2017
In reply to Babika:

> Ok, maybe it's me. But this time of year just seems profoundly depressing.

> Short daylight and no twinkly expectation of festivities going on.

The lack of impending christmas actually improves my mood

> A long gap to payday........

Too right, I haven't currently got a job so who knows when the next payday is. Eeek!

> I think there's something in this SAD phenomenon.

There's definitely something to it but I'm not sure if the light boxes some people recommend actually do anything.
I'm keeping my spirits up by getting out on the bike and bashing a few strava segments.
 dollydog 09 Jan 2017
In reply to Babika:

i can relate;try getting into a good book;works for me.
Moley 09 Jan 2017
In reply to Babika:

The dog days are meant to be in the hottest period of the year, relating to Sirius the dog star.
I think another term is needed for January - sh***y perhaps?
Sorry to be pedantic.
In reply to Moley:

Will cat days do? Nothing else worth doing but sleep all day!
 Scarab9 09 Jan 2017
In reply to Babika:

...and meanwhile...within the first week of January all the things bar one that I went into xmas feeling so positive about have fallen apart!
Last one rests on tomorrow and isn't even down to anything I can do. Joy.
Moley 09 Jan 2017
In reply to Hugh J:

> Will cat days do? Nothing else worth doing but sleep all day!

Our tortoises are hibernating, another preferable option. Tortoise days of January??
OP Babika 09 Jan 2017
In reply to Moley:

Aha. I've learnt something (which is always good). I thought that dog days meant generally S**t. Didn't realise that they had to be hot!
But I can certainly relate to slowing down, wanting to hibernate a bit so tortoise days will do.

Thanks for the useful suggestions - I'm trying the exercise - only walking, too lethargic for anything else and planning lots of positive stuff. Just need some brilliant UV I reckon...

abseil 10 Jan 2017
In reply to Babika:

> Ok, maybe it's me. But this time of year just seems profoundly depressing... I think there's something in this SAD phenomenon. I need a pick-me-up.......

I know it might be obvious, but if it's possible a trip to somewhere warm is an excellent palliative for SAD. The further away and the warmer the better. Also for me/us warm and bright light lighting at home help. Otherwise definitely exercise - walks/ climbs are perfect despite the cold and wet, followed by warming up afterwards in warm dry clothes + hot chocolate [well these are my brilliant ideas ha-ha anyway]

Good luck, spring is on it's way
 lummox 10 Jan 2017
In reply to Babika:

The older I get, the more reluctant I am to " write off "weeks/months. Rubbing my nose up against the dark/bad weather- either on foot or mtbing definitely helps my mood. Doesn't mean I don't crave the lighter days though..
 lorentz 10 Jan 2017
In reply to OP

Have you tried a vitamin D supplement? There's not enough sunlight around for a few months for the body to produce enough naturally in winter apparently. I'm using the daily max strength cheek spray from Holland and Barrett. D-lux 3000. It could just be placebo effect, but combined with wrapping up & getting out into the elements to stretch my legs once a day at least, have felt more chipper this winter!
Moley 10 Jan 2017
In reply to Babika:

I would recommend 2 months in the southern hemisphere every winter, but I'm sure if we all had the money and opportunity that is where 90% of us would be now. I'm stating the bleeding obvious.
Ho, hum just have to settle for another day of grey skies.
paulcarey 10 Jan 2017
In reply to Babika:

There's loads to do in the garden!
Pruning of trees and shrubs, clearing leaves etc where there are too many. Put up a couple of bird boxes.
Its also not too late to plant bulbs in pots if you want - they might be a bit late, but they'll be fine. Now is also the best time to plant snowdrops in the green.
I love this time of year as the garden is showing signs of waking up. Hazel catkins, hellebores flowering, snowdrops coming up, winter flowering clematis and cherry, viburnum.
 deepsoup 10 Jan 2017
In reply to Babika:
> Aha. I've learnt something (which is always good). I thought that dog days meant generally S**t. Didn't realise that they had to be hot!

When I saw the thread title I just assumed you were Australian. ;O)

I have a few aussie friends on facebook, so see regular "Argh, it's too hot!" type posts this time of year. Poor dears, my heart bleeds for them.
 Hat Dude 10 Jan 2017
In reply to paulcarey:

> There's loads to do in the garden!

Another reason to be depressed
Rigid Raider 10 Jan 2017
In reply to Babika:

Get a job in export sales. Even Lagos, Khartoum or Nairobbery look attractive at this time of year.
In reply to Moley:

I thought the 'dog days' refer to Winston Churchill. He suffered depression and when he was feeling it, he refered to it as the Black Dog.
pasbury 10 Jan 2017
In reply to Babika:

One has to take a certain grim satisfaction in going out in the cold rain and squelching through muddy fields, while imagining the view that's behind the mist.
paulcarey 10 Jan 2017
In reply to Hat Dude:

ooh, you big misery-guts
 Hat Dude 10 Jan 2017
In reply to paulcarey:

> ooh, you big misery-guts

I hate all you "flowerpot is half full" type people
 steveriley 10 Jan 2017
In reply to Babika:

Daylight is 2' longer than yesterday, 23' longer than the shortest day and I've got a lovely cup of tea in front of me
 Timmd 10 Jan 2017
In reply to lummox:
> The older I get, the more reluctant I am to " write off "weeks/months. Rubbing my nose up against the dark/bad weather- either on foot or mtbing definitely helps my mood. Doesn't mean I don't crave the lighter days though..

Same here. Even clearing my back garden in the overcast gloom feels good(ish).

Walking or MTB-ing is nicer...
Post edited at 15:23
In reply to Babika:
Found a light box to be pretty effective as well as the other stuff of exercise and good diet. Noticing the days getting longer, especiaĺly up here in north of Scotland , helps the mood!

By th the way 'dog days' is said to refer to late summer in, I think, the US when rabies infections in dogs were thought to peak
 Flinticus 10 Jan 2017
In reply to Babika:

Every day is a dog day for me.

Each one starts with an hour walk in the park. Once in the park, its grand, whetever the weather.

Right now I am considering cycling to the climbing centre but its v gloomy, lightly raining and I am tired and might miss what may be a small weather window on Saturday as one of the headlights has gone on the car, which brings my mood down.
 tony 10 Jan 2017
In reply to stucknortherner:

> I thought the 'dog days' refer to Winston Churchill. He suffered depression and when he was feeling it, he refered to it as the Black Dog.

'Dog days' is much older than that - it refers to the rising of the Dog Star Sirius, typically in July or August, depending on exact location, and on which particular Dog Star you're referring to. They're generally supposed to be the hottest days of summer, so the phrase clearly doesn't apply to Scotland
In reply to tony:

> 'Dog days' is much older than that - it refers to the rising of the Dog Star Sirius, typically in July or August, depending on exact location, and on which particular (Dog Star you're referring to.

Yes, according to Brewer's Phrase & Fable it goes back to the Romans. They called the hottest weeks of the summer caniculares dies. They thought that the Dog Star, rising with the sun (about 3 - 11 July), added to the heat.

In reply to tony:
Well I feel very silly now.
 tony 11 Jan 2017
In reply to JJ Krammerhead III:

> Well I feel very silly now.

You shouldn't. Yours is quite a good possible derivation of the phrase and is recorded in various places, so it's a perfectly legitimate explanation. The English language has a fascinating and complex history, and it's always interesting to read different takes on the same issue.
In reply to Babika:
Personally I think getting outside with some excercise is great all round. Best "cure" for lots of folk.

That said, a possible long shot, but have you considered whether you could be low in Vit D? It is natural to run low at this time of the year due to lack of sunlight, but some are more sensitive to it than others, and there are known links to serotonin levels. Maybe worth looking into, depending on your age, health, and other symptoms? Just a thought if your normally otherwise an outside person raring to get out there.

OP Babika 11 Jan 2017
In reply to Climbing Pieman:

Good shout.
I'm googling "sources of Vitamin D" as we speak.........

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...