UKC

best bouldering centre in Bristol?

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
DiscoBoy 09 Jan 2017
I'm in Bristol next weekend with my girlfriend, and we are planning on going for a bouldering session.

From their websites, bloc climbing and TCA bouldering look to have the most bouldering, but does anyone have a recommendation as to which we should choose? The only requirement we have is that there are a decent number of beginner routes for my girlfriend.

We have a car, so getting to either should be straightforward.
 d_b 09 Jan 2017
In reply to DiscoBoy:
They are both good, and will both have more than enough to go at for one session. I find Bloc a bit easier to get to but it's pretty marginal.
Post edited at 20:52
 hms 10 Jan 2017
In reply to DiscoBoy:

they are both very good. For a one off visit one of the main differences won't matter to you (Bloc reset by panel, TCA by graded circuit). My vote would probably be for TCA as they have a bit more variety of wall angle and the wall is not so high. Hard-core boulderers might appreciate higher walls but personally I find Bloc too high off the deck and they have a habit of putting rock-overs on minging feet as a final move too! Horses for courses I guess.
 springfall2008 10 Jan 2017
In reply to DiscoBoy:

If you are a newbie then I'd choose TCA as the height of Bloc can be a bit scary. For the more experienced they are both really good but personally I'd prefer Bloc.
 cha1n 10 Jan 2017
In reply to DiscoBoy:

I generally prefer TCA but in this situation Bloc may be better as I think it caters more for beginners (as in, it's mainly vertical/slabby) but if you're girlfriend likes steeper stuff then TCA has lots of that at all grades. As mentioned, it's not as high as Bloc.
 Xavierpercy 10 Jan 2017
In reply to DiscoBoy:

The setting is really poor at bloc. Problems with high insecure moves at the top with the prospect of hitting holds on the way down. I used to use it but not any more. TCA is much better and they have a moon board if you are into that sort of thing.
 remus Global Crag Moderator 10 Jan 2017
In reply to DiscoBoy:

Im a bloc man myself. I find the setting more interesting (can't say I've noticed it being particularly dangerous in the 2 years I was going there.) As others have said it is higher than tca.
 Phil Anderson 10 Jan 2017
In reply to remus:

I went to Bloc once. It was a weekday lunchtime and there was a group of young mums having coffee while there toddlers pretty much had the run of the place. There was also a couple who looked like they climbed a fair bit. They had their baby with them in a car seat. They'd move it from route-to-route with them as they went along.

I doubt there insurance covers that sort of setup.
 alexm198 10 Jan 2017
In reply to Xavierpercy:

Yeah this is a good point. I do find the setting quite odd at Bloc, several times I've encountered what you mention - horrible semi-dynamic moves on tiny feet with the prospect of getting castrated by a friendly green jug on the way down if you fluff it.

Strangely I hadn't really questioned it until I read your post...
 Wise 10 Jan 2017
In reply to alexm198:

I think you've all missed the most important factor which is who plays the worst music. And that's both of them.
Best music at Redpoint.
 Paul at work 11 Jan 2017
In reply to alexm198:

I have to say that I very selective of the problems that I try at Bloc, after still struggling with the after effects of spraining an ankle, when my foot slipped off a thin crap hold and landed on a pair of massive blocks underneath it. Flipping me on to my head.
DiscoBoy 11 Jan 2017
In reply to DiscoBoy:

Thanks for the input, all. We'll be going to TCA, I think. The slightly lower walls at TCA, and tales of sketchy last moves at bloc have definitely sealed it; my girlfriend is 14 months in to a serious ankle injury from falling when bouldering, so TCA certainly sounds better.

TCA also has the benefit of being the first place I ever bouldered, so there is that as well!

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...