UKC

A record for overpriced gear?

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 Greasy Prusiks 10 Jan 2017
Morning all,

I bet no one can find a piece of 'climbing' kit more overpriced than this beauty...

youtube.com/watch?v=UFsjri3Q8-A& (skip to 2:20)

€85 for two tubes on a piece of rope!
In reply to Greasy Prusiks:

> Morning all,

> I bet no one can find a piece of 'climbing' kit more overpriced than this beauty...

> €85 for two tubes on a piece of rope!

I got my suspension trainer for 12 quid.

I'm sure if you tell some climbers that it will make them able to climb E12 by using one of these then they might pay for it.

Not that all climbers are that gullible.

starbug 10 Jan 2017
In their defence you get what looks like a petzl tandem and a bunch of carabiners in there as well as the tubes
and rope

What is indefensible is the "Double sick send" at 20 secs in
Post edited at 10:54
In reply to starbug:

Ah I didn't see the tandem. Still pretty expensive though.

Double sick sends, dodgy name but a great feature.
 deepsoup 10 Jan 2017
I always think ratchet slacklines are a funny one, given that they're effectively a long truck strap with a bit of branding on the webbing for about four times the price.

Am I tripping or was there an article or an advert on here a while back for some mad water bottle thing with a kind of magic (woo!) lining that somehow 'energized' the water making it better for you?

I'm sure I remember reading the thread about it, it was compared to some of the more ridiculous hi-fi products. ('Audiophile' - those guys are in an entirely different league for overpriced nonsense.)*

Can't find it now.

Edit to add:
* - quick example of the above: http://www.analogueseduction.net/amr-fuses/amr-audiophile-gold-hi-fi-fuse-1...

Edit to add (again):
http://www.analogueseduction.net/wall-sockets-receptacles/ms-hd-power-ms328...
:-O
Post edited at 12:34
In reply to deepsoup:

Bloody hell! 84 quid for a plug?

I'm in the wrong job.
 jon 10 Jan 2017

Well he does say 'we're selling for the amazing price of €85.50...'
Lusk 10 Jan 2017
In reply to deepsoup:

Pinched from elsewhere ...
"there is no other industry so dedicated to fleecing money out of the gullible than the high end audio sector lol. "
 Robert Durran 10 Jan 2017
I switched off as soon as I realized it was a bouldering video.......
Post edited at 13:04
 deepsoup 10 Jan 2017
In reply to Lusk:
> "there is no other industry so dedicated to fleecing money out of the gullible than the high end audio sector lol. "

Hm, well, no other secular industry maybe.

https://www.washingtonpost.com/news/acts-of-faith/wp/2015/06/03/pastor-cref...
 Lemony 10 Jan 2017

The TRX trainers which kickstarted the whole suspension training trend are even more expensive. I think they're £114 for the basic kit.

I got the exact same thing for £15 off Amazon after having them recommended for some physio exercises.
 Jimbo C 10 Jan 2017
In reply to deepsoup:

Going a bit off topic here, but surely these audiophiles want low resistance in their audio cables and having the same expensive gold plated stuff in their incoming power cable is not going to make a bit of difference? Some people must be daft enough to buy them I guess.
 Rob Parsons 10 Jan 2017
In reply to Jimbo C:

> Going a bit off topic here, but surely these audiophiles want low resistance in their audio cables and having the same expensive gold plated stuff in their incoming power cable is not going to make a bit of difference?

Can I interest Sir in some speaker cables? : http://www.russandrews.com/kimber-12tc-speaker-cable/

Currently a bargain at 20% off. Oh yes: for you, I make *special* price!
 zimpara 10 Jan 2017
 TMM 10 Jan 2017
In reply to deepsoup:

That's a bit unfair.

The plug has some obvious and 'proven' benefits.

'Audio listening trials have been undertken to assess the impact different materials and 'colours' have on this plug design casing, re. audio performance. It was found that black cases offer slightly less dynamics and clarity. The tests were all tried using a very high end audio system where the sound qualities could be readily heard in A/B comparisons. There is no firm technical explaination for this, but it is suggested that the carbon powder used to manufacture black colour plastic is acting as a slightly capacitive or inductive element between the plug pins. Using a blue dye in the plastic material had no detrimental effect v. clear plastic, and the blue semi-transparent finish was considered both attractive and transluscent enough to partially hide the internal wire connections.'

I am currently using one for PC and I can hear Radio 4 very clearly so it must work.

Will be getting one for my toaster next.
 Denzil 10 Jan 2017
In reply to zimpara:

> Thi is quite pricey! Haha $1000 hdmi cable

Brilliant! The great thing about digital transmission systems like HDMI is that you put a code in at one end and the same code comes out the other end - and the system can monitor errors and correct them. When it gets to the point that they can no longer be corrected the system simply mutes - so you never see/hear the errors. Over 1 metre, even the cheapest/nastiest cable is going to work just as well as the $1000 one. Never convince an "audiophile" though!
 deepsoup 10 Jan 2017
In reply to TMM:
> The plug has some obvious and 'proven' benefits.

Clearly. One of the reviewers on that site says he put one on his Sky box and gets a better picture now than before.

> Will be getting one for my toaster next.

Good idea. You'll probably get a better Jesus face on your cheese on toast.

Sorry, I seem to have derailed the thread with this hi-fi nonsense. I've mentioned religion twice now too, but we've got away with that so far.
 Siward 10 Jan 2017
In reply to deepsoup:

Are you thinking about moon water, i.e. water exposed to moonlight and better able, therefore, to hold on to cosmic energy?

I'm selling vials exposed to the solstice moon for a mere £80 for 10ml if you're interested?
 deepsoup 10 Jan 2017
In reply to Siward:
> Are you thinking about moon water, i.e. water exposed to moonlight and better able, therefore, to hold on to cosmic energy?

I don't think so. It's frustrating that I can't quite remember the thread on here.
(Or if it never actually happened, perhaps that I can't imagine it a bit more clearly.

> I'm selling vials exposed to the solstice moon for a mere £80 for 10ml if you're interested?

Cool! How much for a pint?
There's a thought - can you brew special cosmic solstice moon beer with it?
 jkarran 10 Jan 2017
In reply to deepsoup:

> Audio listening trials have been undertken to assess the impact different materials and 'colours' have on this plug design casing, re. audio performance. It was found that black cases offer slightly less dynamics and clarity. The tests were all tried using a very high end audio system where the sound qualities could be readily heard in A/B comparisons. There is no firm technical explaination for this, but it is suggested that the carbon powder used to manufacture black colour plastic is acting as a slightly capacitive or inductive element between the plug pins.

LOL... Thanks for that, I needed a laugh. Audiophile bullshit is the very highest fidelity, most dynamic bullshit with hints of (steaming) warmth
jk
 EddInaBox 10 Jan 2017
In reply to deepsoup:

> Am I tripping or was there an article or an advert on here a while back for some mad water bottle thing with a kind of magic (woo!) lining that somehow 'energized' the water making it better for you?

Woo water comes up on threads every now and again, like here:
http://www.ukclimbing.com/forums/t.php?t=131926&v=1#x1873946

The website address in the thread above doesn't seem to be in use any more, but there are plenty of others:
http://www.energydots.co.uk/pages/products/aquadot/69
http://petapendlebury.co.uk/blog/being-gifted-the-water-re-energising-coast...
 gethin_allen 10 Jan 2017
In reply to Rob Parsons:

> Can I interest Sir in some speaker cables? : http://www.russandrews.com/kimber-12tc-speaker-cable/

> Currently a bargain at 20% off. Oh yes: for you, I make *special* price!

Add on a "burn in" and a "deep cryo treatment" and stick another £160 on that.

Bargain.
 Neil Pratt 10 Jan 2017
In reply to Rob Parsons:

> Can I interest Sir in some speaker cables? : http://www.russandrews.com/kimber-12tc-speaker-cable/

> Currently a bargain at 20% off. Oh yes: for you, I make *special* price!

You can even pay an additional £64 for DCT (Deep Cryogenic Treatment), which presumably means they bung them in the fridge for 20 mins before sending them off to you!
 gethin_allen 10 Jan 2017
In reply to EddInaBox:

> Woo water comes up on threads every now and again, like here:

> The website address in the thread above doesn't seem to be in use any more, but there are plenty of others:

I'm amazed these charlatans aren't shut down by trading standards.
 deepsoup 10 Jan 2017
In reply to EddInaBox:
> Woo water comes up on threads every now and again

I'm sure you're right. Perhaps the thread I'm half remembering was in the Pub, and gone now.

Ha ha. That's fabulous.

And scientifically tested, on the 'product' page it says:
"Recent machine testing in the USA has shown that the energy of the water increased from 16.50 before being placed on the coaster to 1790.00 – that’s more than 100 times!"

Well you just can't argue with numbers like that can you?

She's selling those magic coasters for a tenner, made from glass and presented in a nice box. Given that at the very least it is a working coaster, that's actually not that bad.
Clearly she has much to learn from the hifi charlatans.
 Rob Parsons 10 Jan 2017
In reply to gethin_allen & Neil Pratt:

Yep - you just *gotta* have that Deep Cryogenic Treatment.

And - of course - when you've gone to all that trouble over your cables, make sure you use some 'Audiophile Cable Supports' to keep them safely off the floor: http://www.russandrews.com/cable-elevators-set-of-4-42279990004/

Brownie 10 Jan 2017
In reply to Rob Parsons:

My personal favourite is gold plated optical cables! Do you think someone needs to tell them how they work!
B
 GrahamD 10 Jan 2017
In reply to Brownie:

Or gold plated mains plugs for that matter.
Lusk 10 Jan 2017
In reply to Brownie:

Bling for Audiophiles
Shame most connects are round the back, I'll give them an ABU of 378.
 Ian W 10 Jan 2017
In reply to deepsoup:

Am I tripping or was there an article or an advert on here a while back for some mad water bottle thing with a kind of magic (woo!) lining that somehow 'energized' the water making it better for you?

Accapi Nexus?
 deepsoup 10 Jan 2017
In reply to Ian W:
> Accapi Nexus?

That's it! Thank you.

it isn't a special magic water bottle, of course not, what on earth was I thinking?
It's a special magic sock to put over your existing water bottle:

http://www.accapi.info/en/photonizer-4-14-accapi-nexus/
 jkarran 11 Jan 2017
In reply to Ian W:

> Am I tripping or was there an article or an advert on here a while back for some mad water bottle thing with a kind of magic (woo!) lining that somehow 'energized' the water making it better for you?
> Accapi Nexus?

Are they the ones that did the magic healing pants too? A snip at something like £180 for a pair of black boxer shorts IRC.
jk
 Ian W 11 Jan 2017
In reply to jkarran:

You remember correctly.

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Black-Diamond-ATC-XP-Belay-Device/dp/B01KH4ITNI/re...

There you go

£58.95 for a belay device .

Insane

TWS
 tingle 13 Jan 2017
In reply to Chive Talkin\':

to be fair there is some ridiculous priced stuff on amazon, you can easily find it for £15 elsewhere. Noticed it while looking for a discontinued jacket that retailed around 120 and there were ones on amazon for around 300. Nobody in their right mind would buy it and i dont quite get why it happens.
 jkarran 13 Jan 2017
In reply to tingle:

> to be fair there is some ridiculous priced stuff on amazon, you can easily find it for £15 elsewhere. Noticed it while looking for a discontinued jacket that retailed around 120 and there were ones on amazon for around 300. Nobody in their right mind would buy it and i dont quite get why it happens.

Does it cost anything to list stuff or do you just pay a commission on the sale. Chances are people put up ads with silly prices without holding stock, if someone takes the bait in ignorance they quickly buy one at the 'right' price and ship it on for a hefty profit. I can't be alone in having little idea what most stuff 'should' cost and plenty of people don't much care, they just want to click and buy.
jk
 tingle 13 Jan 2017
In reply to jkarran:

As a tight Yorkshire man i sift through forums and ebay for peoples unwanted impulse buys. I wouldn't be able to sleep at night knowing i had spent £60 on a belay plate.
 Timmd 13 Jan 2017
In reply to tingle:
> As a tight Yorkshire man i sift through forums and ebay for peoples unwanted impulse buys. I wouldn't be able to sleep at night knowing i had spent £60 on a belay plate.

New Scientist had something in it about how changes in the weather can change how careful or not people are with money, the nicer the weather the less careful people are (essentially). Coming from Sheffield it made sense to me that people from Yorkshire might be careful/canny with money, given the number of rainy or overcast days there can seem to be.

It struck me as possible before I discovered about the link, that the weather might affect peoples' mood, which could affect how they are with money, it struck me that a long enough spell of grey and drizzly days can seem to make one want to hunker down, be less free wheeling.
Post edited at 19:44

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...