UKC

Pioneer Cabin tree felled by storms

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 Timmd 11 Jan 2017
In reply to Chive Talkin\':

Kind of a shame given it's alteration by humans.
 Dave Garnett 12 Jan 2017

This is a real shame. I remember having one of those 'wonders of the world' type books as a child that had a old photograph of this tree probably taken in the 40s or 50s with a big American station wagon driving through the arch. Since then I have always had a visit as a minor (but easily achievable) item on my bucket list but haven't done it despite visiting California fairly often. Carpe diem and all that...
 RyanOsborne 12 Jan 2017
In reply to Dave Garnett:

Go see them. However much you read about how big the sequoias are, and how many photos you see, they'll still take your breath away when you see them. We went to visit General Sherman after a Yosemite climbing trip, and the giant forest was spectacular.
Rigid Raider 12 Jan 2017

That'll keep the park rangers in firewood for a few years.
 Billhook 12 Jan 2017

Its hardly surprising considering the abuse this tree, and others have received.

It took huge amounts of efforts from those who wished to have them remain to oppose the loggers and sawmills, who wanted them all chopped down. I believe this continued right up to the last twenty years in California and even more recently in other old growth forests in NA.

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...