UKC

Standing on the roof of your van

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
BernieMac 10 Jan 2017
So I have a bit of a funny one for you lot. I just bought a T4 and will be starting the conversion soon enough but one thing I need to do is install a van on the roof. Now this might sound like a stupid question but will the roof be able to take my weight?

I don't weight a lot to be fair (around 70kg) and will only be up there to cut the hole for the fan, but would like to know incase in the future i find myself wanting to possibly kip out on the roof of the van during the summer on a clear night instead of inside an insulated metal tin. Obviously two different things as the weight is spread more evenly when lying down but still worth asking.
 MrJared 10 Jan 2017
In reply to BernieMac:

I think your weight would be the least of the vans problems if you are installing a van on the roof!
 girlymonkey 10 Jan 2017
In reply to BernieMac:

"one thing I need to do is install a van on the roof."

Double decker van! Sounds like a nightmare in a multistorey carpark! :-P

I used to regularly go on the roof of my fiat scudo. I never had any issues
BernieMac 10 Jan 2017
In reply to BernieMac:

Oh christ! I have van on the brain!! I did say I have a bit of a funny one...

"...install a FAN on the roof..."
 JEF 10 Jan 2017
In reply to BernieMac:
If it's a fan of Morris Dancing don't fit a black one.
 DD72 10 Jan 2017
In reply to BernieMac:

When I took mine to the carwash the guy stood with a foot on either edge of the roof and jetwashed the it but he was pretty careful not to step in the middle.

Why not cut a hole from the inside and get a roofrack if you want to sleep up there?
 peebles boy 10 Jan 2017
In reply to BernieMac:

One drunken night many moons ago myself and a mate played golf off the roof of my old van into Dunbar harbour in the early hours of a party at his house. Great days!

Less great, was the leak the van developed the next time it rained hard.

Whilst the roof itself (the metal) dealt well with us prancing about and scudding the roof a couple times with the club, the bit that created the leak was the bonding between panels. Repeated large movements of the panels weakened/peeled the bonding apart. Fixing with silicone didn't work as it still needs a bit of flex (not sure what they use in the van making factory in the first place?). Ended up going for duct tape, then silicone, then whole lot sealed with vinyl. Not pretty, but it worked!!

My advice? Stay off the roof if you can.

So close to hitting the far side of the harbour too....
 petenebo 10 Jan 2017
In reply to girlymonkey:

>
> I used to regularly go on the roof of my fiat scudo. I never had any issues

Eeeeww!

gethin_allen 10 Jan 2017
In reply to BernieMac:

I would say it should be fine, I've stood on a few van roofs without denting anything.
To be absolutely sure you could use something to spread the load. I imagine you'll probably want to be in a seating/kneeling position to cut the hole so having something soft to kneel on would be useful anyhow.
 deepsoup 10 Jan 2017
In reply to gethin_allen:
> To be absolutely sure you could use something to spread the load.

I'd say ^this^ seems like a wise precaution, especially if you have a bit of ply kicking about anyway. (As you surely will if you're converting the van yourself.)
 timjones 10 Jan 2017
In reply to BernieMac:

> I don't weight a lot to be fair (around 70kg) and will only be up there to cut the hole for the fan,

Have you considered cutting the hole from the inside?
baron 11 Jan 2017
In reply to BernieMac:

The roof of a van will not stand being stood on.
You'll end up with some nice dents although the parts that have the strengthening ribs underneath might be ok.
However, I am not sure why you need a fan in your van?
 FBSF 11 Jan 2017
In reply to BernieMac:

Cut the hole from the inside, I put a skylight into my scudo which is higher than yours and didnt need to stand on the roof. Can get and mastik work etc done from the back on a ladder pr the sides
 Cheese Monkey 11 Jan 2017
In reply to BernieMac:

Will be fine. A few of us danced on the roof of my van at a rave. Was alright
 deepsoup 11 Jan 2017
In reply to baron:
I think you're thinking of a different kind of fan, OP's talking about a "wind driven extractor fan" Flettner type thing.
 jkarran 11 Jan 2017
In reply to BernieMac:

You may dent or scratch it, the dents may or may not pop out completely. Probably better cutting from the inside. Worth a bit of research to see how noisy the fan will be especially if it's wind driven and can't be switched off when it starts driving you mad. Sleeping on the roof is bloody freezing
jk
Moley 11 Jan 2017
In reply to BernieMac:

No idea, but I would certainly chuck a piece of plywood up there and work from that to spread the load. I've been on plenty of house and shed roofs by using a base to work from.
 broady 11 Jan 2017
In reply to BernieMac:

No it's not a good idea to stand on the roof, I've got a Renault Traffic that looks like it's had an elephant tap dancing on it. God knows what the previous owners were doing up there !
BernieMac 11 Jan 2017
In reply to baron:

I will be converting it into a camper and need something for the ventilation to keep the moisture levels down and for when we are cooking and have to do it in the van itself.
BernieMac 11 Jan 2017
In reply to FBSF:

I had considered that alright from the start and the more I looked the more I saw people up on the roof drilling holes for their van so figured it may be the done thing. Cutting the hole from the inside definitely sounds like the go to solution, just need to be sure I can get to it from the ladder/wall (as I don't have access to a ladder :P)
 Hat Dude 11 Jan 2017
In reply to girlymonkey:

> "one thing I need to do is install a van on the roof."

> Double decker van! Sounds like a nightmare in a multistorey carpark! :-P

Too late he's done it

http://buzzboombox.com/his-profile-said-he-drove-a-mercedes-and-owned-his-o...

baron 11 Jan 2017
In reply to BernieMac:

Most T4 camper conversions manage without a fan.
Cutting a hole in your roof is fraught with danger (maybe a slight exaggeration).
Check the VW T4 forum for some excellent ideas - if you haven't already done so.
Good luck with your conversion.
 Baron Weasel 12 Jan 2017
In reply to BernieMac:

I used to have a T4 and you could stand roof above the strengthening bars, but the rest of the roof flexed and would be at risk of denting if stood on.
 althesin 12 Jan 2017
In reply to broady:

Probably parked too close to a Zebra crossing.
 Fruit 12 Jan 2017
In reply to BernieMac:

Side window for cooking and wind deflectors on front windows so you can have some ventilation at night. My current van just has the wind deflectors.
 Timmd 12 Jan 2017
In reply to BernieMac:

Front and side windows being opened might be enough, possibly if you have an internal fan to hasten the steam out of the van too?

Billhook 12 Jan 2017
In reply to BernieMac:

Why on earth would you want to sleep on the roof?

What happens if you fall off after a few beers/drinks?
Are you going to stand up on it to have a leak at 2am?
Are you going to stand up on it and have a leak at 6:30am in the summer when its light and everyone can see?
Why can';t you sleep in it with the windows all open. Or at least outside on a mat?
 peebles boy 12 Jan 2017
In reply to Dave Perry:

And the midges, don't forget midges!!
Jim C 13 Jan 2017
In reply to Fruit:

> Side window for cooking and wind deflectors on front windows so you can have some ventilation at night. My current van just has the wind deflectors.

I suppose it depends how steamy it gets in Berniemac's van at nights

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...