/ PRESS RELEASE: Speed Climbing Holds

Please Register as a New User in order to reply to this topic.
Beacon Logo, 3 kbBeacon Holds can configure a speed climbing route for your climbing facility, just in time for speed climbing to take off in the run up to the 2020 Olympic Games.

Read more
Durbs on 12 Jan 2017
In reply to UKC Gear:

> just in time for speed climbing to take off in the run up to the 2020 Olympic Games.

LOL.

Place your bets...

Niblet on 12 Jan 2017
In reply to UKC Gear:

How do you belay speed climbing anyway? I doubt I could keep up taking in slack seeing how fast people climb at competitions.
zimpara - on 12 Jan 2017
In reply to Niblet:

> How do you belay speed climbing anyway? I doubt I could keep up taking in slack seeing how fast people climb at competitions.

There is a behind the scenes video on youtube of a Speed climbing comp, (Chamonix iirc) which shows all.

Oceanrower - on 12 Jan 2017
In reply to Niblet:

Turn your back to the wall and run like f*ck!
La benya - on 12 Jan 2017
In reply to Niblet:

auto belays
winhill - on 12 Jan 2017
In reply to UKC Gear:

Seems a bit of a desperate way to earn a few quid, given that climbing isn't in the Olympics as a regular sport and the 3 climb format isn't set in stone (and v unpopular) and surely the holds themselves aren't worth that much?

But yeah, paradigm shifting or was the f a typo?
becauseitsthere - on 12 Jan 2017
In reply to UKC Gear:

Aren't the Ifsc due to discuss changing the speed route?
Murd on 12 Jan 2017
In reply to becauseitsthere:

That's what I read recently, think they are meeting next month to discuss the issue
TimB - on 13 Jan 2017
In reply to Niblet:

> How do you belay speed climbing anyway? I doubt I could keep up taking in slack seeing how fast people climb at competitions.

Two people - one with a grigri on their harness who pulls rope down, the other in front of them (back to the wall) who pulls the rope through.
1poundSOCKS - on 13 Jan 2017
In reply to Murd:

> That's what I read recently, think they are meeting next month to discuss the issue

The IOC have insisted the shape of the holds is changed to allow the addition of both the Coca Cola and McDonalds logos.
tom_in_edinburgh - on 13 Jan 2017
In reply to La benya:
> auto belays

Normal autobelays don't take in anything like fast enough and if you climb fast and come off you get a big jolt because there is no stretch on the sling.

If you don't have two belayers like in a comp a combination of a GriGri and walking backwards as necessary can just about keep up with a reasonably fast speed climber.
Post edited at 09:51
Niblet on 13 Jan 2017
In reply to TimB:

Ahh, that makes sense.
ludlowjim - on 13 Jan 2017
In reply to UKC Gear:

I have recently started climbing at the Beacon where they have a speed route, it seems very popular- as it has folk on it all the time, and is safeguarded by an autobelay which seems to cope from my layman perspective.

I think that this is a positive development, although I recognise that others may have other viewpoints.

It would be good to see this at the Olympics,

Jim
In reply to UKC Gear:

We use a Perfect Descent auto belay unit at Beacon Climbing Centre this has the fastest retraction speed of any auto belay on the market and is the official unit used for IFSC World Speed competitions.
johncook - on 19:56 Sat
In reply to ClimbUK:

Having watched the IFSC speed comps they have two belayers per climber. One with a gri gri on his harness, who pulls the rope down and another who pulls the rope quickly through the gri gri. Never seen an auto-belay on any of the IFSC comps.
Auto belay may work for your average climber, but even as a bumbly I can out climb an auto belay on F5 routes (I am a 67 year old 6b leader for reference!)
Could you post a link to an IFSC official comp which uses autos please.
ads.ukclimbing.com
chrishedgehog - on 20:44 Sat
In reply to UKC Gear:

"Speed Climbing Isn't" Shocker.

Where on earth did this speed climbing idea come from for the Olympics? I've never met anyone who does it, or is interested in it, or knows what it is, or cares, etc However, if that's the tone the Olympics are aiming for, maybe we could have speed snooker? Crazy golf? Walking sideways on a horse? (Oh yeah, we already have that.) If "Sport Climbing Is Neither", then "Speed Climbing Isn't". It doesn't exist, it never will, no evidence to the contrary will ever convince me it does, therefore it doesn't. So it isn't.

I don't mind that A R Dolphin or whoever it was could do Bird's Nest Wotsit at Almscliff in 15seconds or whatever it was. In Woolies pumps. Carrying a pipe in one hand and rolling a fag with the other. That's cool. Spot the difference. Duh.

Please Register as a New User in order to reply to this topic.