UKC

The things that you read online

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
I was looking for decking rope online and I found this rope. Check out line six of the product description. Is it worth emailing the company and letting them know that this really isn't a good idea to advertise this rope as suitable for climbing? If so, is there anything that they need to know that would make them think seriously of changing their description? I can imagine some highly inexperienced kid trying to save some money on a rope and setting off up the side of Tryfan with a mate in tow (I know this because it was kind of how I approached climbing - luckily my school got there first and we got to see how the local outdoor pursuits centre did it properly first).

https://www.westwardropeandwire.co.uk/decking-rope-6mm.html?gclid=CjwKEAiAk...

ceri 13 Jan 2017
In reply to Martin Brierley:

You could always email and ask what safety standards it meets as a climbing rope?
 Duncan Bourne 13 Jan 2017

By climbing ropes I assume that they mean those ropes you get on playgrounds that you can shin up like in an old fashioned gym. It is misleading though to someone who wouldn't know the difference and should be clarified
 Doug 13 Jan 2017

I though maybe they mean the sort of ropes for climbing up we had in the gym when I was at school, but 6mm diameter would be a bit thin for that

But whats wrong with starting to climb with a bit of old car tow rope/mum's washing line* ?

* delete as appropriate
 toad 13 Jan 2017

I think you are overthinking it. I'm reading (and I'm pretty sure it's what they mean) "climbing" to mean as a dangling rope to climb up, not a mountaineering tool. To be frank, anyone reading it otherwise and buying it for climbing is probably in line for a Darwin Award in any event.
In reply to ceri:
Good point!

Another similar rope supplier advertises theirs as gymnasium climbing ropes, which makes a lot of difference for the intended use.

http://www.cheaprope.co.uk/natural-hemp-rope-p-503.html?mkwid=sbzlyTRDP_dm|...

I would still want an operational working load on it mind you.
Post edited at 09:11
 StuDoig 13 Jan 2017

Read in context with the uses around it, play area rope, tug of war rope etc they aren't advocating its use for rock climbing, but for people to climb up (e.g. like you used to get in gyms etc).
In reply to toad:

I probably am over thinking it to be fair, but I remember what it was like being a survival nut (before Bear Grylls showed us how to do it safely ). If experienced people hadn't have showed me the way I probably would have thought about it. From memory I did abseil on some dodgy old rope that my mate's dad had kicking around his shed. Lucky I'm here really.
 Doghouse 13 Jan 2017

If you worried about it just email the company rather than debating it on here.

DerwentDiluted 13 Jan 2017
For fecks sake dont show that to Zippo or we'll have a youtube vid entitled 'leader fall onto decking rope dont try this at home'.

At least it is appositely named, decking would be very possible.
Post edited at 19:30
 stp 14 Jan 2017

Looks like a hawser laid hemp rope. Isn't this the kind of rope used for climbing before the development of modern kernmantle ropes? If so presumably that means it is suitable for climbing, even though it's less ideal than a modern rope.
 graeme jackson 14 Jan 2017

I'd be more concerned at it's diameter being given as 6mm while the photo's clearly show something around and inch and a half.
 Offwidth 14 Jan 2017
In reply to DerwentDiluted:

Dont fret, UKC seem to be moving such posts to the pub. Soon it will all seem like a slightly worrying dream.
 Rob Exile Ward 14 Jan 2017

'but I remember what it was like being a survival nut (before Bear Grylls showed us how to do it safely ). '

Please tell me that's a smiley gone wrong at the end of that sentence.
 nniff 14 Jan 2017

part of growing up. I prusiked up a telegraph pole using an old bit of nylon hawserer laid rope to lasso the workman's rungs at the top, and then climbed up that using bailer twine - acting on advice received in Banks' survival book. Nearly cut me in half - not to be repeated

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...