UKC

Brimham - anyone name this route?

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 ebf 15 Jan 2017
We did an obvious line in the Indian's Turban area of Brimham yesterday - Brimham Rocks - but can't find it in the list of climbs at the crag. There is a photo of the line at https://goo.gl/photos/7VJgy3yBLZNAC7bH6 - to the left of the climber in blue, with Indian's Turban on the left in the background.

We thought about MVS/4c in the end. Could it be B18, P13 (V0) - I can't believe it's a new route, as it's so obvious, right next to the path.

Anyone able to help? Brimham Rocks
 Offwidth 15 Jan 2017
In reply to ebf:

Cant work it out yet. It won't be a route though... too short. Btw both climbers are in blue, presumably you mean between them?
 Bulls Crack 16 Jan 2017
In reply to ebf:
Boulder 18 no. 13 in old Rockfax Yorkshire Grit bouldering: 4c RH side of arete, sloping top?
Post edited at 20:12
OP ebf 16 Jan 2017
In reply to Offwidth:

I meant the blue hat; thanks for pointing out my mistake. It is short for a route, but with that top out, you're happy with a piece of pro... Interesting question...at what point is a route "too short"?
OP ebf 16 Jan 2017
In reply to Bulls Crack:

Thanks, that looks about right: nasty sloping top and the right kind of grade. Appreciate it.
 Offwidth 17 Jan 2017
In reply to ebf:
It's not defined but boulder problems usually start to get joint route grades at around 5 to 6m, depending on the top-out, the gear and landing. A tiny number of old fogies argue that the main style of ascent should count more for old short VDiff type stuff but I think they are wrong in principle and on traffic (hardly anyone uses a rope on such stuff and if even you do it will rarely stop you decking). If you go to Font there is huge amounts of stuff in easy grades twice as high as that lump (which itself would be about f2 or f3 depending on the polish). A f3 problem I did on the Mauve Damme Jouanne circuit had what would be protectable HVS/E1 moves in the UK: bouldering UK tech 5b moves 7m above a bad landing. Its a big concern of mine as new climbers who romp through the low V grades indoors (badly graded) and stubbornly beleive the numbers will likely fall off your problem and hurt themselves and potentially kill themselves at font.
Post edited at 09:42

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...