UKC

Albums that you dismissed

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 broken spectre 15 Jan 2017
Albums that you dismissed at the time of release and yet you now rate when hearing them retrospectively...

I used to think they were wet but I've just really enjoyed Coldplay's Parachutes. Unless the album is poor and it is my taste that has deteriorated over the years? It's either an epiphany or the onset of dementia, who knows? Who cares? Not me!

Any other albums out there that have seemingly improved with the years?
In reply to broken spectre:

I was too immersed in Slayer and Metallica at the time, and totally dismissed grunge, particularly Soundgarden. The Superunknown album is something I listen to a lot these days and I rate as one of the all time greatest rock albums. Same goes for Ice-T, Public Enemy and Dre.
In reply to paul_in_cumbria:

Good stuff. Have you seen Straight Outta Compton? Great film.
Lusk 15 Jan 2017

Pink Floyd - Animals, got dismissed out of hand at the time due to me being a Punk.
 d_b 15 Jan 2017

Tom Waits: The Black Rider. Hated it back in 1994 when I first heard it, one of my all time favourites now.
In reply to davidbeynon:

> Tom Waits: The Black Rider. Hated it back in 1994 when I first heard it, one of my all time favourites now.

I have just YouTube'd this and it is some of the strangest shit I have ever heard in all my days.
 d_b 15 Jan 2017
It is indeed. It's the soundtrack to a musical based on a faustian legend from somewhere in germany I believe.

Also: It is marvellous for inflicting on people who never take their turn to drive to the crag...
Post edited at 21:22

Coldplay started out ok. 'A rush of blood to the head' is a really good album

Everything since then isn't.
 WildCamper 15 Jan 2017

Opeth - Heritage

it was when they made a significant move away from their original black metal vibe to a more prog rock sound.
Wasnt keen at first but then it grew on me.

Same thing happened when Type O Negative changed their sound.
 Big Ger 15 Jan 2017

I bought VDGG's "Still Life" on a whim, and hated it. I gave it away to a musician mate of mine, who is also a student of philosophy.*

A year or so later, he just happened to ask; "Did you actually listen to it properly? Did you read the lyrics?"
He gave me a cassette copy of it.

After forcing myself to sit through many plays, it suddenly clicked. It's a frigging masterpiece

I now own all of VDGG's, Peter Hammill's and all the other spin offs and side projects works. I've seen Hammill live four times, and have seen the reformed VDGG once.

*talented bastard. Probably the hottest jazz guitarist in Wales.
 Shani 15 Jan 2017

The Smith, The Smiths. Loathed it. Love them now!

Early Yes was similarly dismissed by the young Shani. I love them now...and if it was not for Jeremy Clarkson I'd be looking in to Genesis's back catalogue.
Removed User 15 Jan 2017
In reply to Big Ger:

> After forcing myself to sit through many plays, it suddenly clicked. It's a frigging masterpiece

Like so many before me, I found Trout Mask Replica to be 'interesting' when I first heard it, though I couldn't bear it for more than 30mins at a time. After some perseverance, I started to get it, and before long it became my favourite album ever, and it still is.
In reply to Shani:

> The Smith, The Smiths. Loathed it. Love them now!

Beat me to it!
In reply to Big Ger:

> I've seen Hammill live four times

Four or five times myself. First time was supporting Marillion in a place I think was called The Sugarhouse in Lancaster in 1983; he was good, but it seemed a very odd pairing. Then at the South Bank centre in London in 1987 when he was jaw-droppingly good, one of the best gigs I've been to. Then again in London, in 1989 I think, when he was pretty terrible. And a few times since but not for a while.

VDGG never clicked with me either, so perhaps it's time to revisit.

T.

cragtyke 16 Jan 2017
In reply to Removed User:

I like the Captain but I'm still struggling with TMR. Had a similar experience with The Modern Dance by Pere Ubu, bought it and played it maybe three times in two years and was baffled originally, definitely a favourite now.
In reply to Removed User:

> Like so many before me, I found Trout Mask Replica to be 'interesting' when I first heard it, though I couldn't bear it for more than 30mins at a time. After some perseverance, I started to get it, and before long it became my favourite album ever, and it still is.

Same here, I was immersed in Zappa and didn't have time for The Captain until a mate insisted I borrow Clear Spot. Then everything made sense. Every home should have a copy of Trout Mask Replica, Clear Spot and Spotlight Kid.
Really pleased I got to see the Captain live at Brum Odeon back in the day.
 John H Bull 16 Jan 2017

Trout Mask Replica and The Modern Dance are both good calls. I had a lot of trouble enduring them, and enduring The Fall until Slates came out, then it was easy, then Beefheart was easy too. The Magic Band had learned how to play their instruments before unlearning it all - in pioneering fashion - in order to record TMR, but The Fall never learned how to play in the first place, which sorta gave them a head start.

The Bridge album by Red House Painters - their version of I Am A Rock seemed deeply depressing...but that, it slowly dawned on me, is the point - it's about not being a rock when you wish you were. Since I clicked with that I haven't looked back with RHP or Mark Kozelek/Sun Kil Moon.

I have tried with Van Der Graaf, but I don't seem to be able to find a way in, excepting possibly the song 'Still Life' which is brilliant as already noted.
Andy Gamisou 16 Jan 2017

Funkadelic - maggot brain.
 deepsoup 16 Jan 2017
Hard to believe now, but I didn't like Tom Waits the first time I heard him.
I can't remember which album it was back then, bit whichever one it was I definitely love it now.
 Hat Dude 16 Jan 2017

The Motown Chartbusters Albums

Mates & I were into heavy & prog rock, like"The Rotters Club" only even less cool.

Soul music & people that liked it were beneath our contempt until I heard stuff like Superstition, Nutbush City Limits and I heard it Through the Grapevine then more stuff on the Stax label
Removed User 16 Jan 2017
In reply to cragtyke:

> I like the Captain but I'm still struggling with TMR. Had a similar experience with The Modern Dance by Pere Ubu, bought it and played it maybe three times in two years and was baffled originally, definitely a favourite now.

A lot of Pere Ubu also took me while, but it was worth the effort. Only recently discovered Rocket from the Tombs.
 NathanP 16 Jan 2017
In reply to deepsoup:

He's a bit of an acquired taste and some albums (Heart Attack and Vine, for example) are a bit easier to get into than others. Worth it though
 Big Ger 16 Jan 2017
In reply to Pursued by a bear:

> Four or five times myself. First time was supporting Marillion in a place I think was called The Sugarhouse in Lancaster in 1983; he was good, but it seemed a very odd pairing.

Agreed. That was on Marrilion's first major tour I believe, touting "Script for a Jester's Tear", (the full Genesis show,) I saw them in Stevenage.

Hammill plus a guitar player, not bad, but not his best gigs.

Marrilion were ...interesting.... I still have a guilty fondness for that album.
 aln 16 Jan 2017
In reply to John H Bull:

> enduring The Fall until Slates came out, then it was easy, then Beefheart was easy too.

I loved The Fall from the start but to this day I just don't get Beefheart.

John H Bull 18 Jan 2017
In reply to aln:

Have you tried Clear Spot - very accessible...and brilliant!
 Duncan Bourne 18 Jan 2017

As a youngster I bought "Strange Days" by the Doors and the only track I liked was the title track. Fast forward a few years and It was my least liked track and I had got really into the Doors and bought all their other albums
 Andy Clarke 18 Jan 2017
In reply to paul_in_cumbria:

> Every home should have a copy of Trout Mask Replica, Clear Spot and Spotlight Kid.

All excellent. But for me, his greatest of all is Lick My Decals Off, Baby. Still hoping to engineer a situation where I can use the phrase in earnest to a significant other.
 aln 18 Jan 2017
In reply to John H Bull:

Don't think I've heard that one. I'll give it a go.
 snoop6060 18 Jan 2017

I recall absolutely hating antics by Interpol when it came out. In hindsight I can only assume it was all the drugs I was taking at the time as it's defo one favourite albums of all time these days.

Perhaps I should start on the drugs again? Haha
 peppermill 27 Jan 2017

Bit newer than some of the other stuff but 'Hot Fuss' by the Killers. Couldn't stand any of it at the time but looking back 15 or so years later it was pretty much the album of my teenage years.
 BnB 31 Jan 2017

My ears were closed to Eminem when he burst on the scene. But 10 years later I realised he was a lyrical genius.

Was a bit slow to sppreciate The Smiths too. But that was tribal. I'm the original New Order acolyte.
 james.slater 31 Jan 2017
In reply to WildCamper:

One of my favourite bands, although I will have to disagree that they have ever been black metal. Ghost reveries is in my top three favourite albums of all time! However, I just cant get into Heritage, even the album artwork annoys me! I have enjoyed the two albums since Heritage a lot more though.
 Steve Perry 31 Jan 2017
In reply to Hugh J:

> Beat me to it!

+1

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...