UKC

Minimum space to fit pressurised hot water cylinder

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
m0unt41n 16 Jan 2017
Moving into a flat which will need some changes.

There is a directly heated (immersion heater) pressurised hot water cylinder, 60cm dia, in the airing cupboard but it’s badly positioned so most of the cupboard is unusable. Back of cupboard is lightweight partition wall with bathroom.

I would like to increase the size of the cupboard by moving the wall and reducing size of bathroom, and moving the cylinder into a corner in this extra space. Also put in a condenser tumble dryer and some vent panels in wall into bathroom so any extra humidity goes into bathroom.

How much space do I need to leave around the hot water cylinder to allow access etc? I deally the absolute minimum since its cramped already and need the usable space in the airing cupboard to be as large as possible.

Cupboard is 1.2m wide and 1.1m deep now and I plan to increase depth to 2.0m
Tumble dryer is 0.6m by 0.6m so it would have to go side by side with the cylinder which is 0.6m dia along the 2.0m wall.

Question - how much space either side of cylinder and how much at the back of it against the wall do I need to have?

The side wall, to be 2.0m has the kitchen on other side so I can directly connect the water outlet of the condenser dryer to drain to the kitchen sink.

Many thanks

PS trying to work out what we do with the flat now and whether the above is possible or produces worthwhile increase in usable size. Will discuss with plumber later if we go ahead with it.
 jkarran 16 Jan 2017
In reply to m0unt41n:

Our condensing dryer produces next to no vapour, far less than boiling the kettle once or cooking with the extractor on. Also there is no vent pipe, you can't direct what little vapour it does produce.

As for the tank, I suspect they all differ but chances are all the connections will be on one 'face' rather than randomly clocked all over it so you'll need very little space beside and behind it once you get the pipes laid out sensibly. My brother's tank eats up half a walk in wardrobe that would be a small room in my house simply because of sloppy plumbing so far as I can tell, they had the space so they filled it with a tangle of pipes!
jk
 Richard Wilson 16 Jan 2017
In reply to m0unt41n:

You can get tanks made to suit where you want the ports to be.

I would also look at non pressured, non direct tanks that have a large coil in them so you still get mains pressure hot water.

Ours has the header tank built in.

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...