UKC

Bothy bags

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 tony 16 Jan 2017
Recommendations please for a 2-person bothy bag. Is there much difference between the various Rab, MSR, and Terra Nova options?
 Welsh Kate 16 Jan 2017
In reply to tony:

Have a look at these guys:
http://www.summitgear.co.uk/product-category/bothy-bags/

Good quality, the flourescent yellow is very bright. Their new supalite range beats Terra Nova superlight bothies in terms of pack size. Can't comment on durability yet as haven't had the chance to use it I'm afraid.

The standard bothies are tough.
In reply to tony:

I have been sat in one of my mates bothy bags for an hour or two waiting for some grim weather to pass over. From that perspective it was orange and warmer than on the outside …. Not much else worth mentioning

But having a quick google brings up the popular brands and I could not tell you which I had sat in from the images. so I suspect it’s much of a muchness.
OP tony 16 Jan 2017
In reply to Welsh Kate:

Thanks Kate, funnily enough I'd just found them with Google. They do look good and I like the idea of very bright yellow. 4 x 6 pack size is tiny! Of course the hope is that it would never get used
 Doug 16 Jan 2017
In reply to tony:
> Of course the hope is that it would never get used

When I was still living in Scotland I used mine quite often, especially in winter. Makes lunch time stops much more pleasant.
Post edited at 15:40
 brianjcooper 16 Jan 2017
In reply to tony:
Hi. Tony.

I've got a Terra Nova 2 person Superlite bothy bag. (253g) bright red. It's more expensive than the standard version, but also much lighter. It lives in my car boot just in case of a breakdown etc as well as my rucksack at this time of year.

As the shop assistant said to me 'How often are you planning to use it, so why carry the weight unnecessarily'.

I think they all do the job, just personal preference in the end.

B
 galpinos 16 Jan 2017
In reply to tony:

I have a Terra Nova Both 4:

http://www.terra-nova.co.uk/tarps-bivis-bothies/all-bothies-bothy-bags/both...

and a Rab Superlight 2

http://rab.equipment/uk/superlite-shelter-2-silbothy

The Terra Nova has been used a lot (mainly for lunch stops in winter when very windy). It's a bit tight for four, ideal for three, fine for two. I pack it if I think i will use it, hence don't mind the weight as it is tough as old boots and will take a hammering.

The Rab I bought for emergencies, so is there for if I DON'T think I'll need it, hence the superlight version. Seems a lot more fragile than the Terra Nova.
 tallsteve 16 Jan 2017
In reply to tony:

> Of course the hope is that it would never get used

Great for kids. A real pick-me-up when out in the hills with youngsters. They loved hiding inside it in the rain and munching their butties and peeping through the airvents at passers by. Glum faces could be transformed in minutes to big smiles. Also good as a changing tent on the beach.

angry pirate 16 Jan 2017
In reply to galpinos:

I have a Terra Nova bothy 4 which is still bombproof after over 20 years. I can't recommend it enough except that it's snug for four, perfect for two.
I'm often tempted by a lighter one but the reliability is reassuring!
 brianjcooper 16 Jan 2017
In reply to galpinos:

Hi.

As you can see from my post I have a Terra Nova Bothy2. It's quite 'cosy'. Is the Bothy4 TOO large for two people?
EG. Doesn't Flap all over the place like a demented fly sheet.

Chhers

Pipecleaner 16 Jan 2017
In reply to tony:

I've got a Tera nova bothy 2 and would highly recommend it. Not used any others so couldn't comment on alternatives. Mine comes out all winter and is snug for two and useable for one.
Great to get a break from really foul weather and could w
Make all the difference if you really needed shelter. You'd end up damp from the condensation but I've had my gloves off and not gotten cold hands for a half hour stop in 50mph winds and -5c temps outside. it wasn't fun getting in or out of it that day but was keen to try it out!
Removed User 16 Jan 2017
In reply to brianjcooper:

> Is the Bothy4 TOO large for two people?

> EG. Doesn't Flap all over the place like a demented fly sheet.

I've got a 4 person one and used it with two and three people. It's fine with two, you just sit a bit further apart, but it is still cosy. I haven't had 4 in it, I suspect that might be fine for keeping warm but not so great for passing food or a flask around. Great things, wish I'd bought one years ago. Err on the big side.
Removed User 16 Jan 2017
In reply to tony:

I have a Terra Nova 4 person and a lightweight Rab 2 man bag.
The standard TN bag material appears far more robust than the Rab bag but is also far more heavy. I have never had to use the Rab bag in anger.
I use both bags but for different purposes and you also need to consider just what you will use it for.
I take the Rab bag when I am climbing/ski touring when it will be used only in an emergency. The heavier TN bag is used when I am guiding in the Alps and snowshoeing in the Pyrenees when it is likely to be used for sitting on/sheltering in adverse weather rather for just an emergency.
Both are superbly made.
 galpinos 16 Jan 2017
In reply to brianjcooper:

It's ideal for three, fine for two. You just sit further apart. I've used it for sorting out gear/having a snack etc having topped out a route many a time with no issue. For four, in a survival situation it would be ideal but for eating lunch and passing round butties and a flask, it's a little cramped.

As you can see, I'm pretty hardcore.

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...