UKC

Swansea, Derby, or Liverpool?

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 Droyd 16 Jan 2017
So, my girlfriend is in the process of applying to go back to uni, and has interviews that could take us to three places; Swansea, Derby, and Liverpool. I'm trying to figure out what life would be like in each and, as climbing is very important, am looking for any and all perspectives on the places; mostly relating to access to rock and the existence of a climbing community, but any and all observations are welcome. Here's what I understand so far, but if I'm wrong on anything I'm glad to be corrected:

Swansea
Pros: The Gower/other South Wales climbing nearby; closer to Pembroke than most other places.
Cons: Not a huge amount of rock, and much of what there is is sport, which I'm less keen on. Miles away from anywhere else as regards other climbing and general civilization, and I'm guessing that there isn't a huge social side. My really big question is; is there much of a climbing scene? There seem to be indoor walls, although I don't know how good they are, but are there people who live there who trad climb regularly?

Derby
Pros: Close to the Peak, obviously. Decent walls.
Cons: Further from North Wales, the Lakes. Possibly not the nicest place to live, from what I hear.

Liverpool
Pros: Access to North Wales/the Lakes. Also Pex Hill/sandstone (questionable?). Decent indoor walls.
Cons: Liverpool innit. Are Pex Hill etc. any good? I lived in Liverpool as a student, and so didn't get much climbing done, but at least know the city/know that there is something of a scene there.

For reference: I'm self-employed, and have chosen that path so that I can climb as much as possible. I'm keen on trips but not on questing off all of the time, so essentially want to know where works best for regular days out and the odd trip. Currently in Sheffield, but well aware that pretty much anywhere else I move won't be as good in terms of being on rock in 20 minutes/ridiculously good walls everywhere/a neverending supply of keen partners.

Cheers
 CurlyStevo 16 Jan 2017
In reply to Droyd:

Which is the best uni?
 gethin_allen 16 Jan 2017
In reply to CurlyStevo:

> Which is the best uni?

This is the real answer.

And to answer this question you need to know what course is being studied.

As far as location goes; Swansea has a lovely beach and surroundings, the university varies depending on what you want to study (engineering- good, business-terrible etc.), the town is fairly ropey but not dangerous/scary and will hopefully see some investment soon ish.
The local wall, Dynamic rock, is fairly small but the routes are good and they change them fairly often.
 CurlyStevo 16 Jan 2017
In reply to gethin_allen:

and the Gower is absolutely stunning.
 gethin_allen 16 Jan 2017
In reply to CurlyStevo:

> and the Gower is absolutely stunning.

That falls under the lovely surroundings bit.
OP Droyd 16 Jan 2017
In reply to CurlyStevo:

It's a good question, but not my department - she's going for medicine, so the whole thing is ridiculously competitive and may end in disappointment anyway. If it doesn't and she gets multiple offers, I imagine she'll be making the decision based not on rankings or any such crap but on how the course is taught (again, not my department) and the place itself, seeing as a medicine degree is a solid qualification regardless of the institution.
Anyway, that's her side of it: I'm looking to figure out which of these places I want to live, or could live, and which would be crap, so that I don't end up regretting the decision to move and/or spending a lot of my time crashing with friends in Sheffield as the climbing is crap in my new home.

We did actually visit Swansea: I had a drive around the Gower and did a few easy routes at No match for crag id:1031, which convinced me that the rock itself isn't too much of a problem (and I reckon I could get into sport if I had to): I'm more worried there about the possible lack of regular partners, i.e. people who actually live in the area and don't just visit on the odd weekend.
 Rob Exile Ward 16 Jan 2017
In reply to Droyd:

I've lived in 2 of the 3 and live in Cardiff now, which is my least favourite; Gower is beautiful, but the climbing overrated, Pembroke's great but it isn't Gogarth, and there's nowhere like Stanage or Pex that you can easily get to of an evening.

The climbing scene in Derby used to be great, though I can't comment now; Pex Hill is pretty stunning, plus you're well placed for Clwyd limestone, N Wales, the Lakes and the Peak. It's perfectly feasible to finish work on a Friday and still get routes done in the Pass before the pub.
Removed User 16 Jan 2017
In reply to Droyd:

> Also Pex Hill/sandstone (questionable?).

How dare you
 spenser 16 Jan 2017
In reply to Droyd:
Currently living in Derby doing a part time MSc (engineering) at the uni.
The uni seems much more disorganised than Loughborough or what I saw of Sheffield uni, if your girlfriend is looking for a student lifestyle with clubs etc Derby will not be her cup of tea, much more of a pubbing kind of city. Derby has a couple of mountaineering clubs (Oread and Clogwyn), the Oread are all very friendly and have two huts, don't know about the Clogwyn, not sure about a scene outside the clubs but there are a few groups of locals who seem to climb regularly at the Climbing Unit (good setting for bouldering, roped stuff ok), didn't think Alter Rock was up to much when I visited. If you're keen you can be on the rock in about 30 minutes depending on which bit of Derby you live in (Wirksworth area crags).
A mate went to uni in Swansea and said he loved it (as a climber).
 gethin_allen 16 Jan 2017
In reply to Droyd:

Swansea university medical school is doing OK as far as I can tell, is she going for grad entry or the full undergrad degree? The school is quite new and has only been taking on undergrads for a few years but the grad entry is fairly well established now. I wouldn't discount the impact of the institutions reputation on the final degree value.

Your girlfriend is making a massive life change in going back to university and if you want it to work between you you may end up having to take a bit of a back seat in the choice. I think you could both end up regretting things if you make this decision based on where has better climbing rather than what's going to set your GF up for the rest of her life (and hopefully your life together).
 Si dH 16 Jan 2017
In reply to Droyd:

I can't speak for Swansea at all but I'm originally from the north west (just south of Liverpool in north Cheshire) and have now lived in Derby for 10 years.
Location-wise, Derby is much better than Liverpool for climbing. The walls are good too and there are lots of climbers around. It's actually quite a nice place to live, there are some good areas (inc close to the univ) and it's reasonably cheap to buy a nice house. Some bad areas, but not as bad as you would find in Liverpool or most big cities. It's great for pubs and beer and pretty good for eating out, but as someone else said, pretty poor for clubbing if that's your thing. If you are into big nights out, Liverpool is 1000x better. There also isn't much of a major cultural offering (concerts etc) - although you can get to Nottingham or Birmingham fairly easily. It's obviously well connected being in the middle of the country.
 Big Ger 16 Jan 2017
In reply to Droyd:

The big problem with Swansea is the Jacks.
 zimpara 16 Jan 2017
In reply to Droyd:
I am a bit confused as to why this is in rocktalk?
Kipper 16 Jan 2017
In reply to Droyd:

Derby don't do Medicine.
 Siward 16 Jan 2017
In reply to Kipper:

Quite possibly Nottingham Uni teaching out of Derby.
 RobOggie 17 Jan 2017
In reply to Droyd:

Currently in the second year of my postgrad (Mech Eng) with Swansea Uni, however I have no idea about the medicine courses other than they're done on Singleton campus. I'd agree with your pros and what Gethin has said, if you enjoy running there's a great trail down the bay and I can run from my house in Blackpill to the bay campus. The town is a bit run down and very post war (following extensive bombing) but it seems to be a city in transition and hopefully on the up soon. The people aren't as bad as theyre made out to be, just don't flaunt too much Englishness in front of a drunk rugby fan! However being a single male in my 20s I'm well up on the social side! There's a bar/club to cater for all and particularly with the uni, there's always something going on. As regards climbing there are the bays on the Gower for trad-ing and quite a few places for bolt clipping local, also +1 for dynamic rock. I personally trad as much as I can between work and uni stuff but it's not as much as I want, however there is an MC at the uni who are always doing stuff.

If you have any specific questions as regards The Swan or the uni, just let me know
In reply to Kipper:

> Derby don't do Medicine.

Derby run the GEM course (graduate entry medicine) -accelerated pre-clinical course, 18months, after which they join the undergrad med students in Nottingham in their 3rd year for the clinical phase. It's a very good option.
 Pekkie 17 Jan 2017
In reply to Rob Exile Ward:

> Pex Hill is pretty stunning, plus you're well placed for Clwyd limestone, N Wales, the Lakes and the Peak. It's perfectly feasible to finish work on a Friday and still get routes done in the Pass before the pub.

You didn't mention great local crags such as Frodsham and Helsby and ease of access to Yorkshire eg Malham and Lancashire eg Wilton. And A55 sport climbing. Also good local climbing walls. I've done the 'the finish work in Liverpool, drive to N Wales and do a route on the Cromlech' stunt - although this was many moons ago.

In reply to Droyd:

It takes me 50 mins to get to derby from where I live near Froggatt/Stoney, and still only 20 minutes to get to the Climbingworks.
Matlock and Ashbourne are both 30 min commutes, so you can easily get in to Derby from most of the south and east Peak.
Derby isn't as grim as it's made out to be. Liverpool is a really great city, good Uni, but a bit pants for sub 2-hour each way close climbing trips. Swansea is a good Uni, but the town isn't great. Too far from grit too.
Looks like Derby then.....
 Mike Stretford 17 Jan 2017
In reply to Droyd: If you do end up in Liverpool I'm sure you'll be fine climbing wise.

I go to Pex Hill in the summer evenings as I live on the western edge of Manc. It's a good venue, traverses to keep your finger strength up and loads of eliminate boulder problems, though all on near vertical rock.

There's some pretty good Liverpool based climbers who regularly go there.... they're a friendly and enthusiastic bunch, seem to get out a lot.

IMA 17 Jan 2017
In reply to Droyd:

You have already seen the pro/con climbing and at the end of the day all are feasible so leave it with the GF and let her pick based solely on which course/style she prefers.

And as mentioned the institution can matter, yes pass your exams and a job is easier to get than with many other qualifications, but the experience you can gain, available opportunities (think about which hospitals placements can be) and the contacts which can be made.

You may choose to move again in 5 years when she is looking as an F1.
OP Droyd 17 Jan 2017
In reply to zimpara:

I stuck this in RockTalk because I was looking specifically for information about the access to rock climbing and existence of a climbing community in each of these places, as well as more general perspectives on living there; although UKC is a great source of information on many things, it isn't my first port of call when looking for advice regarding big life decisions, especially seeing as my girlfriend and I have, in fact, spoken extensively about the possible negotiations that any move would involve, and what we are and are not willing to do.
With that said, I appreciate all of the contributions so far (even the less focused ones - yes, Nottingham University's medical school is based in Derby) - thanks all for taking the time.
 mhughes 17 Jan 2017
In reply to Droyd:

Loads of climbing within easy drive of Liverpool, north wales / peak / lakes etc all within 1.5hrs and loads if other stuff closer! Good local walls, a great local scene, and a good medical school
Mike
(Ex president of LUMC, Trained at Liverpool Medical School, so biased &#128512
Kipper 17 Jan 2017
In reply to Droyd:
> ... Nottingham University's medical school is based in Derby)

This isn't true, but I see Nottingham offer a course based out of Derby.
Post edited at 20:19
 mattdennies 25 Jan 2017
In reply to Droyd:

I'm not sure there's anywhere with better access to a large variety of climbing as Liverpool. 1/1.5 hours to the peaks, sub 2 hours to Snowdonia and 2 hours to the Lakes, look at the weather and take your pick!
For indoor climbing the Hangar is fantastic if you like bouldering and Awesome Walls isn't bad.
Can't comment on the local climbing but it is pretty local so you can't complain, after work climbs are easily do-able.

The city isn't as bad as people make out, you're no more likely to get robbed than any other big city and the people are generally very friendly compared to your average Brit. It's also a very cheap city to live and the nightlife is fantastic.

Current President of LUMC, so yes, also biased!
In reply to Kipper:
> This isn't true, but I see Nottingham offer a course based out of Derby.

Only for graduate entry. Undergrads do it at Nottingham. I made this clear above. I did medicine at derby, graduated from notts with the ones who got in first time. It's the same course for the last 3 years.

And there's plenty of climbing to get to btw, although liverpool a probly better for that.
Post edited at 02:14
 lancsmike 30 Jan 2017
In reply to Droyd:

Liverpool would take some beating; apart from being vibrant progressive city , plenty of shops, new Mall, good nightlife.
There are the indoor walls of 'Awesome' and boulder walls near town and Widnes; as well as Pex Hill a great training ground with tough routes as well as Frogsmouth quarry across the river at Runcorn Hill ; and with excellent M-ways and
connections quarries around Bolton Chorley way are with easy reach never mind the Lakes Snowdonia and Clwyd NE Wales.
 mattrm 30 Jan 2017
In reply to Droyd:

Swansea is the only place I can comment on. The Gower is ok. I don't hear it talked up that often, so I don't think it's over-rated. There's fair number of decent crags and they're nearby. I'm sure it'll keep you going a while.

The main thing about Swansea is proximity to Pembroke. Only an hour down the road. If you're keen it's totally possible to do evening hits (August only really), if you've not lived nearby, you'd be surprised how often it is possible to climb there.

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...