UKC

When did you join UKC?

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 mark s 18 Jan 2017
When did you join UKC?

December 2001
 Doug 18 Jan 2017
In reply to mark s:

I was one of several who moved here from a now deceased site which was something like mountain.co.uk, circa 2000
 bouldery bits 18 Jan 2017
In reply to mark s:

Don't know, how do I check?
 DerwentDiluted 18 Jan 2017
In reply to mark s:

2001 during the great 'Where do I climb during foot and mouth' crisis, though I have changed my name since.
In reply to mark s:

You've got a pretty low user ID!

I was July 2002.
 GarethSL 18 Jan 2017
In reply to mark s:

'06 bloody hell that's a while ago!

I like to think I've matured ever so slightly since earlier days.
 payney1973 18 Jan 2017
In reply to mark s:
Apr 09, it seems like so much longer
OP mark s 18 Jan 2017
In reply to DerwentDiluted:

> 2001 during the great 'Where do I climb during foot and mouth' crisis, though I have changed my name since.

is that when that was?

we were kicked off ramshaw the night before the ban opened it up again.
 toad 18 Jan 2017
In reply to payney1973:
2005 apparently. Think I was lurking for a year or so before I signed up
OP mark s 18 Jan 2017
In reply to Doug:

> I was one of several who moved here from a now deceased site which was something like mountain.co.uk, circa 2000

i remember a rival to this site but cant recall the name. didnt think it was mountain though.
rockfax was its own site before it joined here i think
OP mark s 18 Jan 2017
In reply to Paul Phillips - UKC and UKH:

> You've got a pretty low user ID!

> I was July 2002.

when did the site start?
 Fraser 18 Jan 2017
In reply to mark s:

Dec. '02, but I lurked for a bit before then.
OP mark s 18 Jan 2017
In reply to Doug:

you were a day before me
 wilkie14c 18 Jan 2017
In reply to mark s:

I was actually here before the internet but as the site didn't exist then I've no way of proving it
 TobyA 18 Jan 2017
In reply to mark s:
Registered as TobyA in Oct 2000, but there were a few of us just using "Toby" before that, so I guess I started using Rocktalk in 1999 - oddly at the same time as starting my PhD, funny that...

I knew some people online from UKrec.climbing before AJ went all www/http with Rocktalk (started using the internet in 95 when I needed to chat up a girl on the other side of Europe, but soon found the newsgroup and that from there I could find out if the turf was frozen in the Southern Highlands as well!).
Post edited at 20:34
 Jack Frost 18 Jan 2017
In reply to mark s:

I am userid 956

Jan 2002...15 years (((
 TheFasting 18 Jan 2017
In reply to mark s:

I joined last year. But it's really the very best website online for both logging climbs and for talking about different types of climbing than sport or bouldering
 TobyA 18 Jan 2017
In reply to Jack Frost:

Is the user ID the number in our profile web address? In which case I'm 527.
Removed User 18 Jan 2017
In reply to mark s:
Dec 2001, 588 but I was migrated from Rockfax or something similar from 1999, didnt they consolidate onto one site? been a long time anyhow.
Post edited at 20:52
OP mark s 18 Jan 2017
In reply to Removed User:

i didnt know that, im 586

i think i had a profile on rockfax and came to here.like you say its a long time and hard to remember it
 petestack 18 Jan 2017
In reply to mark s:

September 2007, but I'd have thought *why* possibly the more interesting question (in my case initially so I could see the full-size photos!).
 Dave 18 Jan 2017
In reply to mark s:

From the Usenet newsgroup rec.climbing in 1993, via uk.rec.climbing, the establishment of which I voted against... and then via some indeterminate mechanism here.
 Tall Clare 18 Jan 2017
In reply to mark s:

October 2002 with my original name, CJD...
In reply to Doug:

mtn.co.uk, aka climbuk

I found it just as it was starting to die. Rob Naylor and sutty were regulars there, too. Came here some time around end May 2001.
In reply to TobyA:

> Is the user ID the number in our profile web address? In which case I'm 527.

Yeah, but profiles with numbered IDs were a 'later' introduction...
 Jack Frost 18 Jan 2017
In reply to captain paranoia:

July 01 according to your profile. You are the lowest id so far on this thread 294.....
 toad 18 Jan 2017
In reply to mark s:

I saw a ukrec.climbing t-shirt at a Fall gig in Sheffield a few years ago!!
 JIMBO 18 Jan 2017
In reply to Jack Frost:

I'm 248 and registered in 2001 but I'm sure I migrated from rocktalk or similar from 99 ish
Kipper 18 Jan 2017
In reply to JIMBO:

> I'm 248 and registered in 2001 but I'm sure I migrated from rocktalk or similar from 99 ish

455 - but I was here before this ID.

Nevis-the-cat 18 Jan 2017
In reply to mark s:
2001 under the pseudonym John Rubbishy

I was living with CJD in a three way swinging relationship just outside Immingham at the time.

I then adopted Darren Jackson after i became his prison visitor.
Post edited at 22:25
 Dave Garnett 18 Jan 2017
In reply to mark s:

10 November 2000 apparently but there were plenty of current posters already resident before that I think.

deepsoup 18 Jan 2017
In reply to toad:
> I saw a ukrec.climbing t-shirt at a Fall gig in Sheffield a few years ago!!

"Escape to continue"? I've got one of those somewhere. (But I've never worn it to a gig.)
 Tall Clare 18 Jan 2017
In reply to Nevis-the-cat:

I remember nothing. To be on the safe side, I deny everything.
 Skyfall 18 Jan 2017
In reply to mark s:

I think also 2001, when living in Cumbria during the great FMD outbreak, whilst improving my grade by early retirement to the Lakes. The FMD outbreak and other things put an end to that plan. I then moved back to real life, real work, and went through various aspects of mid life crisis, all played out on UKC.... I was on another forum pre UKC, maybe just Rockfax, certainly for a few years before that.

Where do I find my user ID?
Post edited at 23:38
 TobyA 18 Jan 2017

15 year old jokes I still don't really get John, I must have actually needed to do some work the day you all started discussing owls and tapirs.

I suspect a number of us can still remember the "turn on your tv" thread on 11/9/2001.
In reply to Jack Frost:

As I explained; profiles and IDs were a later, somewhat reviled introduction at the time... We had to submit eventually. That's why, even though I'm a relative newcomer compared to TobyA, I have a profile ID lower than his.

My first post was on a thread called 'A n E', 31 May 2001. Yes; I have them saved...
In reply to mark s:

> when did the site start?

Check out the Business History tab here: https://www.ukclimbing.com/general/about.html

Tyler 19 Jan 2017
In reply to mark s:
> you were a day before me

I was five days after you. I'd been writing stuff on here using this name for quite a while before, it was around this time they were introducing more features and it made sense to join. My first post were in an argument with Al Evans!
Post edited at 01:11
Removed User 19 Jan 2017
In reply to mark s:

June 2005 under different username.
 ben b 19 Jan 2017

mtn.co.uk was good while it lasted: ukc has stood the test of time though.

I lurked for a while and only registered on here as a New Year's Resolution in 2002.

Is there a long service medal?

Thanks to ukc/ukh for being here....

b

The Lemming 19 Jan 2017
In reply to mark s:

I'm a new boy as I joined March 2002.

I sort of drifted away from the site but I recall a big drive to promote phots and galleries and got sucked back in.
 James FR 19 Jan 2017

Some of mtn.co.uk is archived on https://web.archive.org/web/19991110054704/http://www.mtn.co.uk/

It looks pretty good for a website from 1999...
 Rob Naylor 19 Jan 2017
> mtn.co.uk, aka climbuk

> I found it just as it was starting to die. Rob Naylor and sutty were regulars there, too. Came here some time around end May 2001.

Yes, we were using mtn/ climbuk back then. I'd started using Rockfax in about 1999 and "migrated" along with several others. My profile shows first registration Feb 2001 but I was definitely here before then. My first climbing "forum" was (along with a couple of other posters here) the newsgroup "rec.climbing" (from about 1995) and then uk.rec.climbing, which was where I first encountered the foul-mouthed ravings of JoHNy (aka Mr unidexter since his unfortunate amputation).

I also used the CompuServe "Outdoors" and "UKOutdoors" forums from about 1993. Not so much climbing as walking. We were having regular "meets" of people on there from about 1994.....usually wild camps or bunkhouse meets in the Brecon Beacons, North Wales or Scotland. Well before UKC "picnics" started. I believe there are a couple of "survivors" from those forums back then kicking around on here somewhere, but they don't often post.
Post edited at 08:37
 Rob Naylor 19 Jan 2017
In reply to deepsoup:

> "Escape to continue"? I've got one of those somewhere. (But I've never worn it to a gig.)

Still got one! Wasn't it drawn by Duncan Bourne?
In reply to Paul Phillips - UKC and UKH:

> You've got a pretty low user ID!

There is only one person active who beats my user id of 15

http://www.ukclimbing.com/forums/profile.php?id=14

Not sure how Al managed to register before me!

Next up is Alex Messenger - http://www.ukclimbing.com/forums/profile.php?id=19

Alan
 Martin W 19 Jan 2017
In reply to TobyA:

> I suspect a number of us can still remember the "turn on your tv" thread on 11/9/2001.

And the "now it's your generation's turn to get it" thread started the same day. Nice. I can't remember the name of the obnoxious idiot who posted that but IIRC they didn't last much longer on the forum.

I had signed up on 7th March that year.
 Andy Johnson 19 Jan 2017
In reply to mark s:

May 2015 - just after I got back into climbing after a long break.
 Andy Johnson 19 Jan 2017
In reply to bouldery bits:

Info is on your profile page, on the right-hand side.
 The New NickB 19 Jan 2017
In reply to mark s:

Some time in 2004, although lost login details meant that I've only been registered under this profile since 2007. Hence "The New" part of my username.
 Duncan Bourne 19 Jan 2017
In reply to mark s:

2001 before that it was uk.rec.climbing
 Wingnut 19 Jan 2017
In reply to Rob Naylor:

>>My profile shows first registration Feb 2001 but I was definitely here before then.

Likewise, I'm showing as having registered in 2001, but was definitely on here before then - was posting here before profiles really became a thing. IIRC my first post on here was something or other about bivvy bags ...

Was on uk.rec.climbing before then, but under a different username.
OP mark s 19 Jan 2017
In reply to Wingnut:

seems a lot started in 2001

so the forum proper began on rockfax

i remember when you could post as anonymous if you were not a member
 kathrync 19 Jan 2017
In reply to mark s:

My profile shows that I was registered in 2004.

I briefly had a profile under another name before then, but probably only for a year or so.
 Rob Naylor 19 Jan 2017
In reply to Duncan Bourne:

> 2001 before that it was uk.rec.climbing

And I AM right in thinking you did the T-shirts, aren't I?
 deepsoup 19 Jan 2017
In reply to Rob Naylor:
> Still got one! Wasn't it drawn by Duncan Bourne?

Twice, I think. There were two different versions a few years apart.
In reply to Rob Naylor:

I did indeed. Well the design anyway, not all the printing and stuff
In reply to Wingnut:

That's true I may have been on a lot earlier in that case
pasbury 19 Jan 2017
In reply to Martin W:

> And the "now it's your generation's turn to get it" thread started the same day. Nice. I can't remember the name of the obnoxious idiot who posted that but IIRC they didn't last much longer on the forum.

What's this all about?
 Mooncat 19 Jan 2017
In reply to mark s:

My current profile is my 2nd one, the first died for some reason, I was another migrant from Climbuk.
 TobyA 19 Jan 2017
In reply to Mooncat:

Hi Mooncat, long time no see... err... read. I'm sure I remember your name though from way back in the early days, like Captain Paranoia, Tyler, Al Evans, Rob etc. So was your first profile name also Mooncat?
In reply to mark s:

Early 2000s, after uk.rec.climbing began to wither.

T.
 Morty 19 Jan 2017
In reply to mark s:
I started reading and posting when it was Rocktalk. I was at university so it must have been sometime between 1996-99.
Since then I've posted under several names - starting with my actual name. I had to change it for work anonymity.

Remember Al Downie and Norrie Muir?
Post edited at 19:15
In reply to Martin W:

It was Dennis M. And it wasn't quite how you remember it, I think, even though Dennis was a pretty contentious type...

"So, the shit has hit the fan in your generation"

Suggesting the 9/11 attacks might lead us into a bigger conflict, with US reprisal attacks. Doesn't sound so unreasonable now, does it...?
 pencilled in 20 Jan 2017

No. It doesn't. Apparently I joined in 2004. A bit late to the party although I suspect I was too busy climbing to do more than lurk for a couple of summers before that. I do remember Norrie Muir, and Sutty too.
In reply to pasbury:

> What's this all about?

9/11

UKC was pretty much the only way of finding out what was going on (for those at work). More conventional websites pretty much crashed with what amounted to a denial of service attack due to unprecedented demand.
 andi turner 20 Jan 2017
In reply to mark s:

Mine says 2004, but I was definitely on it way before that:

https://www.ukclimbing.com/forums/t.php?t=2406

Sure it was called something else when I joined up. Maybe.
In reply to andi turner:
> Mine says 2004, but I was definitely on it way before that:

Mine says 2008, but I think it was more like 2004, but my name was changed by UKC in about 2008, Hugh Janus was apparently too risque! I notice your name has changed too.
Post edited at 08:07
 CurlyStevo 20 Jan 2017
In reply to mark s:

2001 at some point
 Nevis-the-cat 20 Jan 2017
In reply to TobyA:

> 15 year old jokes I still don't really get John, I must have actually needed to do some work the day you all started discussing owls and tapirs.

It's best not to over think it Toby .....

it's all part of an unanswerable connundrum, like "Who's harder - a squirrel with nunchakas or a badger with a fork"?

Jon Read 20 Jan 2017
In reply to mark s:

Same as many others, migrated from uk.rec.climbing (sadly demised) to rocktalk / climbuk (was it?), and then here in late 90s early 00s.
 ChrisBrooke 20 Jan 2017
In reply to mark s:

Looks like 2005 for me. I feel like such a Johnny-come-lately.
Lusk 20 Jan 2017
In reply to Hugh J:

> Mine says 2008, but I think it was more like 2004, but my name was changed by UKC in about 2008, Hugh Janus was apparently too risque! I notice your name has changed too.

Oh, that's what it means, I always thought you were implying that another of your body parts was enormous!
 Stu Tyrrell 20 Jan 2017
In reply to mark s:

I have been on here all of my long life!!Rockfax before that.........

Do any of you remember the live chat we had with a famous climber?

Name him.
 Dave C 20 Jan 2017
In reply to mark s:

I came here in 2003 or 2004 when I emerged from a 10 year retirement. Promptly left the country at the end of 2005 and rarely visit anymore. I recognise a few characters from back then on this thread but most that I knew from here seem to have flown the coop.
In reply to Stu Tyrrell:

Jude did a thing with John Redhead.

I recall that went well........ :s
In reply to mark s:

Ah, the good old days of Sloper and the 3 people left posting on Parsleywood.

https://www.ukclimbing.com/forums/t.php?t=49534
 Dave C 20 Jan 2017

So how/where is Sloper these days? I haven't heard from him since junior came along and he left UKB.
In reply to Dave C:

Still out and about. Haven't seen him in a while but we occasionally chat over emails and phone.

His spelling is still shite.
 Stu Tyrrell 20 Jan 2017

Yes and that one, what about John Dunne! again by Jude.

Sloper - what a man, he helped me out and he did not know me.....
 Mick Ward 20 Jan 2017
In reply to Stu Tyrrell:

Well, that's the thing about Sloper. I never had a problem with him but obviously others did. And maybe he liked putting a few noses out of joint.

But I remember one morning when somebody had a messy legal problem and was wringing their hands in despair. Sloper was straight in to help them.

He seemed a pretty good guy to me.

Mick
 Monk 20 Jan 2017
In reply to mark s:

10th November 2000 for me, but I'd been around much longer than that. It's great to see the longevity of this site compared with many others.
 Mooncat 20 Jan 2017
In reply to TobyA:

Hi Toby, ditto. Yes, I was originally Mooncat, I worked away for a few months and that didn't work so posted anonymously for a while then set up another Mooncat profile.
In reply to Mick Ward:

Sloper was extremely helpful to me once too, when I needed legal help.
 Mick Ward 20 Jan 2017
In reply to Gordon Stainforth:

'The evil that men do lives after them;
the good is oft interred with their bones.'

Mick
Removed User 20 Jan 2017
I was always grateful to you for the 'white powder' delivery from London to Millstone CP

It was Silver Nitrate for a Photographic Project I was doing at Ilam hall around 2004. Delivery was going to take too long and John went and picked it up and dropped it off, saving my sanity. A totally random request for help on UKC.
Post edited at 21:48
 Dave Garnett 20 Jan 2017
In reply to Mick Ward:

> Well, that's the thing about Sloper. I never had a problem with him but obviously others did. And maybe he liked putting a few noses out of joint.

He liked winding up the plebs in his online persona but he's pretty well-behaved in person. As long as you don't use the incorrect cutlery, obviously.

Morty 21 Jan 2017
In reply to Stu Tyrrell:

Jude hosted a chat with Dawes as well.
 Big Steve 21 Jan 2017
In reply to mark s:

October 2003, only seems like yesterday
 Offwidth 21 Jan 2017
In reply to Dave Garnett:
Not always he wasnt... I always liked him but quite a few didnt. He could be extraordinarily kind but I always felt the online cartoon persona was a waste of his talent. Also very knowledgeable on the grit with some good ticks in his younger days.

Since we are on registrations I miss Chris Tan here the most. Alan should have relented and let him be the only person to use the site unregistered. A few of us held out a long time but it became pointless if we wanted to continue posting (hence my relatively late registration). Maybe its nostalgia but the site seems grey compared to the early days.
Post edited at 10:58
 Nevis-the-cat 21 Jan 2017
In reply to Removed User:

It a was a pleasure, glad to be of use. I hope you're keeping well chap
 Guy 21 Jan 2017
In reply to Offwidth:

The Chris Tan death knot!
 Offwidth 22 Jan 2017
In reply to Guy:
Its all still online... just not here.

http://www.kakibusok.plus.com/Equipment/

Its much more than that though... he was a master of obscure crag knowledge and a really funny but gentle guy in his posts.
Post edited at 10:50
 sharptill 23 Jan 2017
i was joined jan 2017

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...