UKC

anybody done a winter skills course?

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Original BB 11 Dec 2003
i don't know if anybody out there can help me but i want to do a winter skills course so when i go to the alps i ve got a smaller chance of dying through doing something stupid!

i been looking at the P.Y.B brochure, and the scottish winter mountaineering course looks good, just wondered if anyone had done it, what was it like? or is there somewhere else i can do one?

cost isn't too much of an issue as parents are paying, its my christmas and birthday presents for the next 2 yrs! they are very keen on things like helmets, skills courses and survival bags, believing that if they buy me safety stuff i ll be ok!
rich 11 Dec 2003
In reply to Original BB: yeh - i did that about 3 years ago - it was 'walking plus' rather than 'climbing' but there's plenty to go at with that

i rated it - they're a very professional outfit, well resourced and attract quality instructors (i went on a climbing course with them more recently and two of the instructors had just got back from completing the eiger north face for example)

i won't go through the sylabus or anything but would add that is was the almost incidental stuff they imparted that has stuck with me most rather than digging snow holes or whatever

glenmore lodge (actually based in scotland) do very similar stuff plus various smalller / private guides if you can get a few people together (a search here would find more stuff)

Lurking Dave's Boss 11 Dec 2003
In reply to Original BB:

I've never done a course. I already had plenty of summer mountain experience, bought the books and went out and practiced lots.

If you want a course, have you tried the subsidised Conville Scottish Winter / Alpine courses?
Check the BMC website.

I know some people who have done these and they picked up both skills and confidence.

Make sure your keen parents don't buy you too much gear.
Safety in the mountains, especially in winter, is a fine balance between carrying enough gear and travelling fast and light.

LDB.
ps. If you're parents are VERY keen, they could buy ME some Grivel 360's
OP Anonymous 11 Dec 2003
OP almost sane at a different PC 11 Dec 2003
In reply to Original BB:
I have used Glenmore Lodge, and it was good.

You could also look at the Instructors database on this site. Steve Spalding is a good guy.
OP kings 11 Dec 2003
In reply to Original BB:

Did one via Outward bound scotland, good instructors, good value and lots learn't. Read lots of books first and it helps.

Worth every penny.
 Andy Myles 11 Dec 2003
In reply to Original BB:

I've done the Glenmore Lodge mini winter skills and winter mountaineering courses and I'd recommend them.

Depending on where you go in the Alps you may be able to get some excellent instruction there. I did a 1 day glacier travel course with the Grindelweld Bersteigerzentrum and it was fantastic value for money. For about 60 quid we covered cramponing on ice of varying angles, roping up for glacier travel, crevasse rescue, basic ice-climbing and got a famous guide instructor (Hans-Reudi Gerstch (sp?)) into the bargain. 60 sheets well spent and surprisingly cheap for Switzerland!

Andy

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...