UKC

climbing in north germany

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
gump 01 Jan 2004
am about to move to north germany. i know there's lots of climbing down south, but i know nothing about what's available up north. any info on guidebooks much appreciated!
Pete W 02 Jan 2004
In reply to gump:
Forces? Whatever worth getting in touch with or even becoming a member of Germany´s BMC. Click on the map to find the section nearest to where you are going to be living then e-mail them in english your needs. Good luck,

http://www.alpenverein.de/include/caller.php?id=4
 Smitz 02 Jan 2004
In reply to gump: Hey Gump, my condolances. I live just out of Hamburg (OK Parents do, but I visit a lot).
Thar be no mountains thar, m'lad! Bit too close to Holland, I think, but if your under Hamburg, then you might be OK as I have no idea of that area's geography.
This reply is pants, but I thought I'd offer my £0.02.
Ost-Friesland climbers REPRAZENT
 Smitz 02 Jan 2004
In reply to Pete W: 9:23? Spooky.
Pete W 02 Jan 2004
In reply to gump: The best and nearest good climbing you´ll find in the Hartz Mountains stradeling the old East/west border
 Arne 02 Jan 2004
In reply to Pete W:
Depends on where you'll be based...but Belgium might be a good option. Not too bad there. 2 hrs drive from the Ruhr-area
OP niff 02 Jan 2004
In reply to Arne:

The Ith is good - short, outcrop style stuff. Roughly between Hamlen and Hildesheim, a bit south of Hannover. Better than the Harz IMHO.

Other tha that, I used to head over to Freyr, near Dinant in Belgium. Motorways are good - doesn't take long.
Nick in Hamburg 02 Jan 2004
In reply to gump:

The outlook isn't brilliant I'm afraid. So much so that I chose to advertise the fact in my user name, trying to get people to feel sorry for me. That said there are other advantages to living here - see my profile.

However, all is not lost. Depends a little on exactly where you'll be based, but as others have said, the Ith is a nice outcrop/ridge although the only guidebooks I've seen have been copies of copies of.... The Harz is also good and more of a (vaguely) mountainous area proper. For example there are ice routes there.

Joining the DAV (=BMC) is certainly a good idea. It's a very strong movement here in Germany and should be a good springboard for meeting people who want to go to the real rock. Also good, of course, for meeting people are the walls. If you're in Hamburg the DAV owned wall is reasonably entertaining - I'll happily give you the guided tour.
OP Anonymous 03 Jan 2004
In reply to Nick in Hamburg:
> (In reply to gump)
>
> trying to get people to feel sorry for me. That said there are other advantages to living here - see my profile.

Been to the model railway museum in the harbour quarter yet? WELL DONT
stu mac 03 Jan 2004
In reply to gump:

The Ith Ridge is within cycling distance of Hameln. It's a long series of limestone outcrops, mostly hidden away in the woods. It's not brilliant, but it's the best there is in the North. Some of it is actually not bad !

The Oker valley in the Harz is well worth a visit.

Belgium/Luxembourg also worth a trip. Dave/Marches les Dames/Camp Commando etc all good venues.

Might be worth tapping into the Forces scene if you haven't already (www.theama.org.uk). They have an area rep etc etc

Happy climbing
Gary in Germany 03 Jan 2004
In reply to gump:

I have lived in Germany for the past 5 years, 3 years in Herford (near Bielefeld) and now near the Dutch Border.

There are bits and bobs in the North, there is a guide book published.

The Ith near Hameln has lots for most grades including some killer overhangs.

Belgium is superb.

Let me konw where exactly you will be in Germany and i will supply mopre details.

Gary
OP About as anonymous as you Smitz 03 Jan 2004
In reply to Anonymous:

> Been to the model railway museum in the harbour quarter yet? WELL DONT

Ha! Of course not. Schoolboy error. Literally.
gump 04 Jan 2004
osnabruck's where i'm going, so it looks like anywhere'll be a drive away...thanks for the info - much appreciated!
Gary in Germany 04 Jan 2004
In reply to gump:

When you get there call me on Elmpt Mil (68) 4701.

I can put you in touch witrh some climbers on the Mil net.

We have gresat plans for this year!

Gary.
OP niff 04 Jan 2004
In reply to gump:

that puts you 250 miles (about 3.5 hours) from Freyr and about 75 miles from the Ith. Could be a whole lot worse. You could live in Surrey....
OP Anonymous 04 Jan 2004
In reply to gump:
Yo Gump,
You can climb in Ibberburen, there are some rocks in the forrest. near the camping 1 minute out of de town at the highway. suc6.
greets Mr polarbear
OP Rita 04 Jan 2004
For further information and topos regarding Harz and Ith you should have a look at //212.94.235.100/klemmkeil/
Have fun. greetz Rita
Waldmeister 05 Jan 2004
In reply to gump:
There is the nice little area called Teutoburger Wald (little sandstone rocks and quarries) with around 200 routes on it just 10 min. away from Osnabrueck near Ibbenbueren.

For all other near areas have a look at www.kletternimnorden.de

It's in german, but has it all about climbing and bouldering in the north of Germany (Ith, Harz, Göttinger Wald)!

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...