UKC

winter climbing starter pack??

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
SimonT 27 Jul 2001
Going to try winter climbing this year, what would be a good starter list of kit? B1 or b2 boots and axes etc..

Already have winter walking kit -clothing (B0 boots).

'Been rock climbing for 20 yrs now so its about time I got cold and scared instead of warm and scared at the mo.

any advise mucho appreciated..

SimonT
Martin P 27 Jul 2001
In reply to SimonT: The best combination of gear is probably going for B2 grade boots and grade 2 crampins and with that set up you can use them comfortably to at to a grade IV-V ice. Spend a bit more time on axes and thats the one bit of gear you will probably not up date as you get better. Try and go for curved shaftes and hardwaring picks. The best all round seem to be DMM axes or Grivel although there are many good ones out there.

As too hardware as your staring out just get three ice screws to start with as most routes up to about grade 3 have alot of good naturaly pro to be found after some digging around. Compliment this with your noraml summer rack too. Also look at maybe getting a deadman but practice the t axe belay too. Finally get yourself a down jacket and some good warm mitts for belaying in and a good pair of thin fleece gloves and waterproof over mitts to finish it all off.

This is all a very basic set up but would as a basic set up do you to proably about grade iv routes by which time you know the game and what works and what doesnt.
 london_huddy 27 Jul 2001
b2 boots, half decent tools, charlet s12 crampons (or equivalent), a load of hexes and warm clothing; combined with big old balls of steel will see you to grade IV, a couple of ice screws and better boots will see VI. have fun, and buy a synthetic duvet jacket. you won't regret it.
Martin P 27 Jul 2001
In reply to SimonT: i would have to agree on the belay jacket. One of the best bits of gear i have for winter climbing!
stonemaster 30 Jul 2001
In reply to SimonT: A well fitting salopette like the (gasp) Buffalo high altitude does for me. Check out Pegler's in Arundel if you are in the south. THE place for good advice and good prices and a great range of gear.
OP Anonymous 31 Jul 2001
In reply to SimonT:

TA ALL...SIM

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...