UKC

Platypus hydration devices

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
bungle 20 Jan 2004
i have had mine for a while but the tube has started turning black. what would anyone recommend to clean the tube?

CENSORED 20 Jan 2004
In reply to bungle: A brush, but failing that, leave it filled with Milton for a few days!
Ming 20 Jan 2004
In reply to bungle:

Thin string and something small thin and heavyish (i.e. a nail) tie nail to string apply a bit of centrifugal force to get the nail down the tube. then tie a small piece of sponge to the end of the string and pull it through.

Iain Ridgway 20 Jan 2004
In reply to bungle: Sos mine, but i still sue it, no real harm done so far, I got a bit out by twisting the pipe and things, then gave up.
Richard Greasby 20 Jan 2004
In reply to bungle: Yep, Milton should do it. I strongly advise you to clean it before you use it again, it really can't be healthy if it's black. My only other advice would be to make sure you dry it properly after each use, try taking each end off and hanging it vertically over a radiator. Either that or just store it (the tube) in the freezer that way the water just stays frozen and mould can't grow between uses. I'm not sure of the long-term effects on the plastic but it seems to work okay so far.

Martin W 20 Jan 2004
In reply to bungle: Soaking it in bicarbonate of soda solution might help. Milton should certainly kill any nasties but it might not make it sparkly clean. Try pouring some neat down the tube, or soaking it in a small bowl of the stuff. Make sure you rinse it thoroughly afterwards.

Best advice is always to rinse it thoroughly and let it dry properly after using it each time - hang it over a radiator or in the airing cupboard, if you have one. Try to hang it up in a way which encourages a bit of air flow through the tube eg hanging vertically rather than coiled.

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...