UKC

Prescription sunglasses

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
jasper 02 Oct 2001
Does anyone know a good place for getting prescription sports glasses, preferably cycling wrap around style (i.e. replaceable clear/tinted lenses). I know that you get problems with lense distortion if they're too wrapped, but am after some glasses which can cope with the rigours of climbing..

jasper
 Grover 02 Oct 2001
In reply to jasper:

Not sure but I'd be interested in the answer.
dave 02 Oct 2001
In reply to jasper:

Forget about prescription sun glasses -
if your eyes can take them, go for disposable contacts -
I've had them for three years and could never go back to
glasses to climb in again.

They're really quite cheap - ~£30 for 30 pairs, and
most options can do you a good deal on them.

Jimmy the Whale 02 Oct 2001
In reply to jasper: Hello

I recently bought a pair of adidas gazelles to run in. They take a prescription insert and the LST lenses that are fitted to the glasses reduce distortion and look cool.

What's not 'cool' however is the price.

Frames £90.00
insert £30.00
lenses for insert £50.00

also if you don't get the insert from BOOTS theyll charge you £20 glazing fee.

total something like £180

on the plus side the isert means that you can get your lenses changed time and time again without weakening the main frames (as can happen with other makes)

on the whole I am very happy with them despite the steep price and will give them 8/10
jasper 03 Oct 2001
In reply to Jimmy the Whale:

Generally wear daily disposibles, but at the end of the year I might be doing a large (world) climbing/biking tour on my motorbike and can be arsed carrying 9 million lenses. Also, I shall definately be in the desert next winter so I reckon glasses would be a better bet.

jasper
Jamesbmp 04 Oct 2001
In reply to jasper: If you've got loads of cash to spend, you can get prescription Oakley, and you shouldnt get the lens distortion with these glasses.
John 09 Nov 2001
In reply to Jamesbmp:
I have had a pair of oakley prescription glasses for 2-3 years now. the best £280.oo i have spent i use them for driving, golf & cycling.
Chris 13 Nov 2001
In reply to jasper: I work for an Oakley dealer in Nottingham and we can arrange for you to have some prescription glasses made by them, give us a call on 01159503455

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...