UKC

Troll Wall

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Iain McTaggart 28 Jan 2004
Hello,

Just wondered if anyone had climbed the Troll wall, in particular the Rimmond route? Do you know what the current guidebook is called? Any other advice appreciated.

Thanks,

Iain.
 Lizard 28 Jan 2004
In reply to Iain McTaggart:
I believe the book you're after covers the Romsdal area....

http://www.needlesports.com/acatalog/Mail_Order_Scandanavia_124.html

4th book down the list.

Good luck

I know that there was a huge rock fall on the Troll Wall about 4 years ago. Don't think it affected the Rimmon Route. But the rock ain't that good. Strange stuff. (I have done the easy but dangerous and serious Fiva Route to the right of the main Troll Wall) I think latest edition of Tony Howard's guide is still the most up to date English one.

Lizard 28 Jan 2004
In reply to Lizard:
My link is to the Tony Howard book but I've just noticed it's out of print. Doh!
 HeMa 28 Jan 2004

For basic info and for the guidebook go to: http://home.no.net/bjartebo/englishstart.html
 Dave 28 Jan 2004
In reply to Gordon Stainforth:
> (In reply to Iain McTaggart)
>
> I know that there was a huge rock fall on the Troll Wall about 4 years ago. Don't think it affected the Rimmon Route.

It did, although I dont know the current situation with the route. Many say the Swedish route is better.
Dave
 ChrisC 29 Jan 2004
In reply to Dave:

I believe a few people have been up and looked and described it as very very loose and dangerous. Don't think its been ascended in its current state, although I may be wrong on that last bit...
 Nj 29 Jan 2004
In reply to Dave: FORGET ABOUT IT!!!
After the first major rockfall the thing has been slowly crumbling. Only the left edge of the main wall is climbable at the mo. Local hotshots tried teh Rimmond and the Swedish, as well as further right to Död at Alla, everything was tottering.
If you want Norwegian big walls, go to Kjerag near Stavanger, it is way nicer rock, and 900m of vertical is enough (The Troll is 1300m at it highest I think)
 jwi 29 Jan 2004
In reply to Iain McTaggart: Yeah, as Nj says: forget about it, at least in the summer. I think some of the scared routes have been repeated in the winter, by some Frenchmen?
iain mct 29 Jan 2004
In reply to Nj:

posting from work so not logged in.

Thanks for the advice everyone. Shame about the rock fall but the other suggested area sounds very good.

Any British climbers going to be near Piz Badile middle of July or early August? Going out to climb the Casein route.

Thanks,

Iain.

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...