UKC

Outdoor Research Gaitors

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Wayne 03 Nov 2001
Does anybody know where I can get a pair of Outdoor Research X-Gaitors. Do they have a UK importer - I can't find anyone who sells their gaitors.
Unless anybody has another suggestion - I am going up Aconcagua in Feb 02 but only have Scarpa Alpha boots. Various people have mentioned that they may not be warm enough on summit day, so I am looking at either an overboot or insulated gaitor - the problem I see with an overboot is that there may not be much snow so I won't always be wearing crampons, which makes the overboots useless. Any ideas would be appreciated...
Ben 03 Nov 2001
In reply to Wayne:

Why not sell your Alpha's and buy a pair of vega's or something?

Don't take a chance with your toes.

ta,

Ben.
Cliff 03 Nov 2001
In reply to Wayne:

Wayne I have just been on the Scarpa Web page and they do a 'High Altitude' Inner for your Alphas should keep your toes nice and toasty.

Cliff
Cliff 03 Nov 2001
In reply to Wayne:

Oops sorry Wayne they were for the Vegas not the Alphas...You could check to see if they fit!!! He says grasping at straws.

cliff
Wayne 05 Nov 2001
In reply to Cliff: Apparently they are devloping HA liners for the Alpha, but won't be available until next winter. Vega liners are much wider than the Alpha liners so they won't go in !!
steve-c 05 Nov 2001
In reply to Wayne:

see link above on insulated gaiters...I am still trying to sort for same trip ...and yes there will be too much rock on Acon ..overboots will just get shredded
steve-c 16 Nov 2001
In reply to Wayne:
Just bought a pair on-line at mgear.com in US..you pay shipping and tax but they arrived within 5days

Wayne 16 Nov 2001
In reply to steve-c: Do you think they would be suitable to go over a pair of Scarpa Alpha plastics for climbing Aconcagua in ?
Steve 17 Nov 2001
In reply to Ben:
At the risk of generating a "duh!"........
Why are the Alpha's not as warm as the Vega's ?

(asking coz I am right now looking at a plastic boot/C£ combo....)
Steve
steve-c 17 Nov 2001
In reply to Wayne:

They look the part and have about 1cm of removable foam all way round ..except a strip down the middle as that is a velcro fastener.

Re: aconcagua I am not sure, they would certainly help and if youre lucky with the weather you could get away with it... but don't quote me on that ..if gets as cold as it reportedly can on occasions you may find you need to turn back on summit day ..and as its a pre-dawn start which doesn't exactly inspire warmth! Any more than than 1/2-1hr of properly numb feet and I am sure you know the consequences. Many people do go up in `normal' plastics but if you do wear them make sure the liners are always dry and buy some of those hand warmers as an instant heat source.

I will start the walk up the Horcones to base camp on the 24th Dec and must confess that the mule will be carrying a new pair of high altitude liners for my vegas...I have spent enough money on getting new high altude tent, duvet flight, permit, hotels etc I figured it wasn't worth the risk for an extra couple of hundred quid! ...I would be pissed if that is what prevented me from getting to the top (although it would have been a good excuse to cover lack of fitness and acclimatisation if I fail anyway!)

Just as a matter of interest when are you going?. I am there (with or without my mate who is still trying to get the time off work) from the 24th as mentioned above..

cheers steve-c
Davis 18 Nov 2001
First let me say that you are free to e-mail me off line for more information.

I took the Alphas to Alaska this year and THEY ARE NOT WARM. Period. I will be happy to e-mail you a picture of my setup--which is ALPHAS WITH INSULATED SUPERGAITORS GLUED ON. I was freezing. Alphas only are good if they are fitted snuggly--otherwise you are better off with Vegas. The sole transmits cold--they are not warm. The boot is slippery so that you HAVE TO GLUE THE GAITOR ON, which is fine, I used seam-seal. The liner is thin. Period. It is not warm. It is a roadside boat. If you don't pay attention to the lacing, you will pinch the ancle--then when you ski in it (or hike) over a long hall, it will rip. This is not an expedition worthy boot.

This is a "performance" plastic boot--make no mistake about it--don't risk your toes--you will have to fit this boot large--in which case you are better off in a different boot--
Wayne 19 Nov 2001
In reply to steve-c: I leave Mendoza on February 1st 2002 with a company called Aventuras Patagonicas, based in the US. A few people I met at Elbrus this year climbed with them 2 years ago and really rated them.
It looks like I'm going to have to go out and buy new boots, especially after hearing about Alaska !! Can't risk having to turn back on summit night - I'd probably carry on with numb feet and lose my bloody toes !!
Can you email me the picture of your boot setup that you used in Alaska - I'd like to see what you used, Thanks.
Sounds like the best setup then is Vegas (or similar) with HA liners and supergaitors, although I've been speaking with a guy at Peglers Expedition Suppliers in Arundel and they do all kinds of different expedition boots - may end up going down there to check them out. Anyone been to Peglers ?
steve-c 19 Nov 2001
In reply to Wayne:
As it happens I was buying mitts in Peglers yesterday..remember though that whilst they do indeed have all sorts of expedition boots most will be cut to shreads on aconcaguas rock rich routes. If you shag a pair of supergaiters or scratch the plastic on some vegas fine..not a big deal..shread £300+ pair of `integral' boots and you'll be f'd right off!
ken 19 Nov 2001
In reply to Wayne: You won't be able to get hold of Outdoor Research kit ever again in the UK, and it is wicked stuff, got a pair of their gaitors a few years back! unless a new distributor takes it on, Field and Trek were the last people to stock their kit, so the only way would be to get them over the internet from the US.
Wayne 19 Nov 2001
In reply to steve-c: As I have to travel down there from Leicester, is it worth it - do they have some good stuff in, and reasonably priced ?
Wayne 19 Nov 2001
In reply to steve-c: As I have to travel down there from Leicester, is it worth it - do they have some good stuff in, and reasonably priced ?
steve-c 19 Nov 2001
In reply to Wayne:
probably not...unless you want to get some of those boots to climb everest in! It took me 1.75hrs from london each way on Sunday. If you know what you want just phone them and get it sent by post..they are sending vapour barrier socks to me to save me having to go there again. Most things I am sure you can get much nearer you though.
steve-c 19 Nov 2001
In reply to ken:

I had asked Up and Under the UK internet retailer to try and get me some stuff before I got it directly from the US. They took the contact details for OR from me and are reportedly now in negotiations to be a UK agent. Feckers wouldn't give me a discount on other stuff though!
OP John P McLoughlin 19 Nov 2001
In reply to Wayne:

If you are looking for kit, drop a line to the guys in http://www.thinkmountain.com. They seem very friendly and cheaper (like loads) than shops over here. If they don't have it , mail them and ask - they are usually able to comply.

John

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...