UKC

Steve McClure Lecturing Near You - Feb 8-19

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 MattH 29 Jan 2004
Steve McClure will be giving a series of lectures in:

Birmingham (8th Feb)
London (9th Feb)
South Wales (10th Feb)
Bristol (11th Feb)
Bangor (12th Feb)
Sheffield (15th Feb)
Manchester (16th Feb)
Leeds (17th Feb)
Penrith (18th Feb)
Edinburgh (19th Feb)

Steve will talk about 'The Very Big & The Very Small', basically how his focus has shifted from pure traditional climbing to the hardest rock routes possible. Using state of the art multimedia equipment his talk will include video clips of the first ascent of Rainshadow - F9a, onsighting F8a, and his recent trip to the big walls of Greenland.

Also at each lecture will be a series of photo and video shorts, and some well sponsored competitions.

Tickets cost £5 on the door and £4.50 in advance.

For full details, and the facility to book tickets online see www.heason.net

Lok forward to seeing some of you there.
MattH
OP MattH 29 Jan 2004
In reply to MattH:

I've just finished compiling the feedback sheets that people handed in at the end of Ben's shows. Here are some of the comments (taken from 200 forms):

An honest insight - no arrogance!
Excellent, very inspiring, motivating to improve
Brilliant & Inspiring
Ten out of ten
Superb. Palms of my hands sweating throughout
Life Changing
Very Well Organised. Great talk & Photos
Very Good. Excellent pictures & video clips. Very well put together
It was very interesting and good insight in hard climbing
Toptastic
Excellent. I'll be back again
V Good - Ben is a Good Speaker!
Fab
Very Good. Presentation was a lot more lick than similar events I have attended
Very enjoyable and understated too
*** - better than right wall, but not as good as lord!
Very Good. Well Done
Enjoyable and helpful for my own climbing
Great. I've never been so vicariously gripped
Good photos, good stories, brilliant in general
Well organised & Entertaining
Another excellent evening
1st half great. 2nd half fascinating. Ben is obviously mad as a goat. Keep it up!
Fandabydozy
Cracking
Honest, brilliant
Tres Bon
Veeeery Naiiice
Ace
Fantastic, very interesting & wicked photos
Absolutely excellent! A treat to hear so much detail straight from the horses mouth
Ben's talk was inspiring. Glad I came down
Excellent. More please!
Excellent. Completely Absorbing
Inspiring, brilliant, bonza!
Well worthwhile
Good. Quite different from climbing gigs
Frankly, very inspiring shots and dialogue.
Top dog!

For similar feedback about Ian Parnell's talks in December see http://www.heason.net/feedbackian03.html

Steve has just been round with his photos and videos and shown me his presentation and it promises to be at least as good as Ian's and Ben's. Some stunning photos from Tim Glasby and Keith Sharples as well as some of Steve's own collection from around the world.
 Paul B 01 Feb 2004
In reply to MattH: many tickets left for sheffield? or can i buy them off you if your in the edge?
OP MattH 02 Feb 2004
In reply to Paul B:

Hi Paul,
Plenty of tickets left for Sheffield at the moment. ou can buy on the door (although not in the Edge), but I would suggest buying in advance and turning up early as Sheffuekd is alwasy the busiest lecture on the tour.

Thanks,
Matt
 Paul B 02 Feb 2004
In reply to MattH: cheers
For leeds, would it be wise to book in adance or will there be plenty on the door?
 Niall 02 Feb 2004
In reply to MattH:

Actually he's not lecturing anywhere near me at all.....
OP MattH 03 Feb 2004
In reply to Niall:

Sorry Niall, I guess it was a bit of a tall claim, but he will be doing a fairly comprehensive two week tour. Where are you?

Matt
OP MattH 03 Feb 2004
In reply to MattH:

I now have all the prizes for Steve's lectures. At each lecture we wil be giving away:

A £50 Fat Face voucher (quiz)
A Petzl pocket knife (quiz)
A Petzl zippable chalk bag (quiz)
3 Petzl quickdraw slings (quiz)
A limited edition POD poster print (raffle)

And don't forget there's also the opportnity to be entered into a draw for a planetFear coaching holiday at the end of each lecture.

Cheers,
MattH
 Simon Caldwell 03 Feb 2004
In reply to MattH:
Will the quiz be a proper one about climbing, or will it be a bouldering one like last time
 KA 03 Feb 2004
why is it not coming to Newcastle? Most lectures seem to miss the North East of England out... Except the Winter BMC, Alan Hinkes and Leo Holding/Thoms&Alex Huber lectures...
OP MattH 03 Feb 2004
In reply to KA:

Sorry Kate,
When I chose the ten venues I knew that I would be missing out on some areas. Judging from the number of people from your neck of the woods who have asked why we aren;t going htere, perhaps I should have ditched one of the other venues and come there.... Maybe next time. Having said that Ben did do a lecture at the Sunderland Wall immediately after finishing his tour with me, and only 12 people turned up which doesn;t inspire me with confidence! Perhaps it wasn't advertised that well.

Simon, the comp you'll be doing has one boulder problem, one crag, one route and one rock type to name... Better get working on you bouldering trivia Does that mean you are coming along?

Cheers,
Matt
OP MattH 03 Feb 2004
In reply to MattH:

Ken, no idea why I called you Kate.
Apologies
Matt
 Niall 03 Feb 2004
In reply to MattH:
> Sorry Niall, I guess it was a bit of a tall claim, but he will be doing a fairly comprehensive two week tour. Where are you?

Northern Ireland, very few people ever come here

It's quite safe, hardly any bombs these days....

KA 04 Feb 2004
In reply to MattH: lol, no problem! Think the problem with sunderland wall is its a bastard to get to during rush hour from anywhere north of the tyne, where i d guess the majority of NE climbers live. Many lectures have taken place within the Lipman Building, University of Northumbria, which seems to be a much easier place in terms of access for people both straight from work, and from home.

Thanks for the reply Matt,

Regards,

Ken
OP MattH 04 Feb 2004
In reply to KA:

I'll bear the Lipman building in mind for future do's Ken!

Talking of which, if anyone reading this would like to be added to my mailing list so that I can let you know about future events that I organise, then please send me an email to m a t t @ h e a s o n . n e t. I promise not to inundate people with rubbish, and will happily remove anyone who changes their mind. And I won't pass it on to other organisations.

Cheers,
Matt
 Adam Lincoln 04 Feb 2004
In reply to MattH:

I like the quiz
 Adam Lincoln 10 Feb 2004
Went to Steves lecture last night. Greenland stuff was awesome. That coupled with Bens bit about Greenland has brought the trip to life. Reckon a whole lecture could be done on that alone. Steve really drummed home the effort needed to do these hard sport routes. The comitment and all.

Go see him at your local venue:
 Toby_W 12 Feb 2004
In reply to MattH: I went to the Bristol one last night and thought Steve M was excellent, the best of the three even for me. I look forward to the next set.
Cheers
Toby
 John Alcock 12 Feb 2004
In reply to Toby_W:
I enjoyed last night as well. For someone so inexperienced and unpushy, Steve was an excellent speaker. Loved his dry humour.
The big problem for me was the lack of perspective. Watching a video of Steve climbing 9a should be very impressive, but it doesn't really LOOK any different to watching a lesser climber ascending a 7a. Without a properly shot video with close-ups and maybe other climbers attempting the same line, it was impossible to gauge how hard the moves were.
Here was one of the best climbers in the world, but I didn't learn much about what makes him so good, apart from determination. What are his secrets?
I liked the womens' photos. The one of the boat with the rippling water was stunning.
 Toby_W 12 Feb 2004
In reply to John Alcock: I'm sure I've bumped into you down the wall, I was the one who was very excited to win the petzel extenders last night!
I agree with you as I said I though he spoke very well. Lack of perspective, mm maybe you're a better climber than I am and 9a, 7a are as good as the same to me (In fact 6b,c.......)
Cheers
Toby
 Paul B 12 Feb 2004
In reply to MattH: any tickets left for sheffield because i didnt pull my finger out and get one from planetfear ?
OP MattH 13 Feb 2004
In reply to Paul B:

Thanks for all the feedback.
Yes there are still tickets left for Sheffield. You can still buy online from planetFear or just turn up EARLY on the night.

For any Sheffieldites not wanting to squeeze into a crowded Lescar on Sunday night we will be in Manchester on MOnday and Leeds on Tuesday. Leeds is probably the closer of the two venues, especially if you live over Walkley way. Just a thought.

Thanks,
Matt

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...