UKC

Climbing in Germany

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Jayne F 02 Feb 2004
Im due to be going to live in Ingelheim in Germany as part of my uni course from September (its on the Rhine, near Frankfurt) and have little idea of what climbing there is to be done- although im assuming there is quite a bit from various mumbles i have extracted form people so far. Was wondering if anyone could be of further help, or point me in the right direction of where i might find out more. Initially i applied because it was on the right side of the water for the alps, but its actually still quite a way away, oops, and am determined to get out climbing still.

Obviously ill be looking for a new climbing partner as well......so if anyone happens to know of any clubs etc out there that would be much appreciated.

Cheers
Johno 02 Feb 2004
In reply to Jayne F:

You're a bit far from the Alps unless you go for a weekend - probably about 4-5 hours drive to the nearest limestone peaks in the Allgäu or Eastern Switzerland. You can get to the Frankenjura (the northerly bit north of Nürnberg anyway) and the Schwaebisch Alb (closest city = Ulm) in a couple of hours. The closest area to you will probably be the Pfalz. I'm not sure if there is any climbing in the Taunus hills just to the north of Frankfurt. It's not a major venue, if there is. There are links to lots of climbing areas at: www.climbing.de, www.softrock.de. You could always do a search on "klettern in Hessen" on google.

I'm afraid I can't be more specific - I don't really know the middle bit of Germany very well, as I live in the south.
OP steve h 02 Feb 2004
In reply to Jayne F: Ive only climbed in the frankenjura region and cant say i I was too impressed .Being soft limestone all the easier stuff is horrendously pollished. If your leading trad 5c/6a you will probably do ok as long as you like very steepand very glassy climbing.On the plus side the beer and food is fantastic and the locals are on the whole fairly freindly
Petje 03 Feb 2004
In reply to Jayne F:
The pfalz is worth a lot of visits!
Red sandstone with some pebbles here and there. A lot of tradition and for the enlgish interresting cos there is not a lot of bolting there. Lots of routes that are still climbed with own placed gear.
Think about it: Wolfgang Güllich started here when he was young!

Go in the direction of Dahn (near the french border) and get to the "bärenbrunnerhof". this is the meeting scene for climbers. You will certainly get a climbingpartner there.
And lots of good beer there!
ian vincent 03 Feb 2004
In reply to Jayne F:

No climbing around frankfurt. Best bet is the northern Frankenjura. East of Forcheim, climbing is excellent but some of the crags are a bit difficult to find.

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...