UKC

Steve McClure's lecture

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Ian Parnell 16 Feb 2004
Went to Steve's lecture last night in Sheffield along with a 120 others and thought it was top. Surprised me actually (sorry Steve!) as he's always seemed such a quite bloke, but it was brilliantly understated and got plenty of giggles while still putting over the drive that makes him such a beeping beep of a beeping climber (i.e. amongst the very best in the world). The tension amongst the audience watching the film of the first ascent of Rainshadow was palable (one of those times when you find yourself involuntarily reaching for an imaginary chalk bag to take a dip). I know I've been involved in this series but genuinely worth catching for the last few gigs.
 Adam Lincoln 16 Feb 2004
In reply to Ian Parnell:

Agreed!
squeek 16 Feb 2004
In reply to Adam Lincoln:

i'll be there in a few hours.
 Rubbishy 16 Feb 2004
In reply to Ian Parnell:

I missed his talk at the West Resi centre last week. Hopefully catch up at one of the other venues.
Ian Hill 16 Feb 2004
In reply to Ian Parnell: good bit of self promotion there Ian!...bump...
Ian Parnell 16 Feb 2004
In reply to Ian Hill:
> (In reply to Ian Parnell) good bit of self promotion there Ian!...bump...

ERm..? It would be nice to say that I climb 9a and onsight 8b+ but unfortunately I only plod up snow slopes.

....If however you like snow plodding I will be doing a series of lectures in March about Annapurna III ... now that is self promotion. Sorry couldn't resist!
Ian Hill 16 Feb 2004
In reply to Ian Parnell: glad to give you the opportunity...it was the lectures I meant

oh no, now this goes bump again...
squeek 17 Feb 2004
In reply to Ian Hill:

It deserves to be bumped a bit the lecture is excellent, Steve was down to earth and very humble even though he is in the world's elite, very refreshing in contrast to what the hyped up world stars of other sports are like. The photos and videos were top drawer as well.
James Negus 17 Feb 2004
In reply to Ian Parnell:

Awesome lecture, although my arse was screaming with pain on those bloody uncomfortable stools. Well worth it though, found myself stuck to every word, photo and film. Just makes everyone want to get better and better. Greenland looked amazing, and big up the female photographers.
 Paul Evans 17 Feb 2004
In reply to Ian Parnell:
Yep I caught this in Manchester and was very impressed. I enjoyed the short films, the photos were excellent and Steve's lecture was well put together and presented. The mix of slides and video clips was not something I'd seen used before but I thought this works very well, better really as a mix than either pure slides or just a film. Well done to the boys and don't forget to check the power on the PC nest time!
ste mac 17 Feb 2004
In reply to Ian Parnell:

cheers for the positive feedback, I'm hardly a born speaker so this is good for the old self confidence. Sorry about the computer cock up in Manchester, I know computers are complicated, but plugging them in should really be within my capabilities!
mat s 17 Feb 2004
In reply to ste mac:

Is there a website with a list of dates?
mat s 17 Feb 2004
In reply to Adam Lincoln:

Cheers.

Always good to know I've managed to miss them all. Well at least the ones I could get to.

Any more lectures in London coming up (Other than ian Parnell)?
 John Alcock 17 Feb 2004
In reply to ste mac:
Steve, you're doing great.
Ian Parnell's first lectures had far fewer people. I should know I was there.
OP McGus not logged in 17 Feb 2004
In reply to Ian Parnell:

any plans for Edinburgh Ian. Gather you met some good mates of mine (Graham & Clare) as you were walking out and they were walking in to do some rather more modest stuff! Reckon you might get an interested audience north of the border somewhere!
 BelleVedere 17 Feb 2004
In reply to McGus not logged in: Think hes at ratho on thursday - see the website listed above
OP mcgus not logged in 17 Feb 2004
In reply to es: cheers Es. I was meaning "was Ian going to be coming north" - hopefully I'll be there on Thursday to see Steve. Heading out tonight for a few hours so will see if there are tix left.
 MattH 19 Feb 2004
In reply to Ian Parnell:

Thanks for all the feedback again folks.
Overall it's been a great series.

Plenty of people have asked if there will be a similar one next year. I'd like to say yes, but outside of Sheffield and Bristol the numbers just weren's good enough to warrant a re-visit without some major re-thinking. I'm thinking that next year I would like to pass on some of the resonsibility (read finacial burden) to local activists who are keen to get bums on seats, rather than relying on posters, the internet, emails and word of mouth.

If anybody is interested then please get in touch. Obviously there would be some financial reward for anybody involved!

Talking of getting in touch, if anybody would like to be alerted to future events that 'Heason Events' organises or is invoved with, please send an email to m a t t @ h e a s o n . n e t with 'Subscribe Me' in the subject line.

I don;t like finishing on a negative note, but unfortunately I have had to cancel the lecture at Ratho tonight. My apologies to anybody who was thinking of going, especially to anybody who reads this after tonight and turned up to see Steve talk.

Cheers,
MattH
 Simon Caldwell 19 Feb 2004
In reply to MattH:
> outside of Sheffield and Bristol the numbers just weren's good enough to warrant a re-visit without some major re-thinking

It seemed pretty full at Leeds on Tuesday?
 Mike H 19 Feb 2004
In reply to Simon Caldwell: I thought so as well, certainly one of the larger lectures I've been to in Leeds.
 Paul B 19 Feb 2004
In reply to Mike H: i went to the one in sheffield, it was class...and the raidogs footage how lucky for them to be there..class lecture.
 MattH 19 Feb 2004
In reply to Paul B:

The turn out in Leeds was pretty good - there were 36 people, but not really good enough make economically good sense. I reckon that you need 50 people in a lecture (obviously this depends on what the costs are - venue, speaker, equipment etc, but it will do as a ball park figure) in a pub style venue. We averaged 46 over the 19 lectures we did, so I'm pretty happy, but Sheffield really brought the numbers up.

MattH
 Paul B 19 Feb 2004
In reply to MattH: more planned for sheffield? could see much better this time in the lescar by getting there early.
 MattH 19 Feb 2004
In reply to Paul B:

Hi Paul,
Ian Parnell will be doing another, this time on his Annapurna III trip last year. Match 7th.

Am also planning more for next winter, but I don;t think it would be sensible to have too many more now the evenings are starting to get a little longer. I could be persuaded otherwise if there is enough interest. There are plenty of speakers after all!

Was thinking of maybe running a big climbing quiz at the Lescar, with some video to entertain too. Loads of prizes, loads of questions, mostly climbing related (guess the voice, name etc, trivia) plus a little general knowledge.

Also thinking of perhaps organising a big night at the Showroom - either a Best of Kendal night, or a double ot triple bill speaker night with some big names.

Any comments?

MattH
OP Anonymous 19 Feb 2004
In reply to MattH:

a comment passed by people i've spoke to is what about having them midweek evenings in sheff, not on sunday nights - when you've been out all weekend climbing or whatever and you've got wokr the next morning the last thing you wanna be arsed doing is packing down there for some lecture. In contrast midweek nights in winter most people would relish something different to do that wasn't going down the foundry/edge as usual.
 Chris the Tall 19 Feb 2004
In reply to MattH:
Quiz night at the lescar sounds like fun, as does a film night at the showroom (good choice of venues too - one close to home, the other close to work).

Not sure about a summer lecture series - keep em for dark evenings.
 Paul B 19 Feb 2004
In reply to MattH: haha the climbing pub quiz..sounds good if u ban irish si and that lot...
dont know how much interest there is, i saw ian and steves talks and both were good, you going to watch consumed on monday? see hoe many people turn up at that.
 lithos 19 Feb 2004
In reply to ste mac:
> (In reply to Ian Parnell)
>
> cheers for the positive feedback, I'm hardly a born speaker so this is good for the old self confidence.

well i for one enjopyed it muchly and enjoyed the your speaking parts (with your natural wit) more than the video clips, which were entertaining. I wouldnt have played the music on that 8a+ thing you showed (10ft off the ground) as it was interesting to listen to the effort going in and i though it might be nice to get a sparse commentary on it with maybe (if you can recall) what you were thinking or some comment on the thought process/pain as you continued.

Watching the Rainshadow video i wondered how it made you feel. Ian P has alluded to our sweaty palms but i wondered do you replay the route as you watch, can you recall the moves as you watch them, i am curious what its like to watch both somethng so hard, susatined and important to you.

The personal element where you (and also Ben H) talk about the approach you take (have taken) in a non sales-pitch, open and thankfully psycho-bable free manner are (for me) the intersting bits.

I think both talks (BH,SM) ive been to have been great events, reasonably priced and well produced. I do wish however, that the speakers wouldnt hide away in the dark.

Carry on at it you are an intersting entertaining lecturer,

cheers.

MattH 19 Feb 2004
In reply to Paul B:

I'm planning to go down to the show on Monday. See you there.
M

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...