UKC

Awesome Walls lighting

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
PeteT 18 Feb 2004
Awesome Walls Liverpool - nice friendly wall with lots for everyone but one thing lets it down. The lighting. I know someone will reply "the lighting's perfect get some new glasses you blind bastard", but I have heard a lot of complaints recently. It does spoil the experience if you are doing a route with blue or grey holds and in the top third you enter a murky twilight zone where you can't see a thing. Warrington, for instance, is much brighter - though I think the routes at Awesome are better. Dave Douglas is doing a grand job but he needs to respond to this consumer feedback. Anyone out there agree?

The Gnome With No Home 18 Feb 2004
In reply to PeteT:

I know someone will reply "the lighting's perfect get some new glasses you blind bastard"

here goes then....

the lighting's perfect get some new glasses you blind bastard

....ah that feels better
OP MarkA not logged in 19 Feb 2004
In reply to PeteT:

Or how about 'take your guidedog with you; that way you'll know you've nearly finished the lower off when the lead goes slack'.

Personally never had a problem with the lighting, unless there are routes of a very similar colour on the same rope.
 ranger*goy 19 Feb 2004
In reply to PeteT: It is a bit dodgy in places, but its a minor complaint for me.
ceri 19 Feb 2004
In reply to PeteT: agree with the problem identifying clours, partly due to dirty holds, partly due to similar colour routes too close together and partly due to light. However, the main thing about the lights, for me, is that you look at your hand/foot and get blinded as you climb past the floodlights!
Dave D 19 Feb 2004
In reply to PeteT:
> Dave Douglas is doing a grand job but he needs to respond to this consumer feedback.

Hi Pete

If you put your comments (written, email or verbally) direct to us you will get a better response!
I always value customer feedback.
The lighting is on the list of ‘jobs to do’.
As hard as I try, unfortunately someone will always find something to gripe/comment about, but I guess that's life eh!

Dave D.

Dave D 19 Feb 2004
In reply to ceri:

> However, the main thing about the lights, for me, is that you look at your hand/foot and get blinded as you climb past the floodlights!

Ceri

You make it sound so so bad!
Last week it was the routes!
What next week?

Why don't you express your views to myself or the staff personally?

Dave D.
 CENSORED 19 Feb 2004
In reply to Dave D: I'm sure next week, they'll be complaining that your tea and coffe is too cheap and that they can't get a skinny latte?

Then the week after they'll be asking why they can't pay an annual membership fee?

Then the week after that I can see it, "Awesome walls is such good value for money, I hate it!"

You just can't please some people!
OP I'm not DD 20 Feb 2004
In reply to PeteT: Leave Awesome walls alone. Nowhere in this world is perfect, indoors or out! Dave and his staff do try and help, and the place is far friendlier than some other local walls. If you have a problem with something mention it when you are down there. Posting on here relies on someone looking. Tell then to their face and you won't get your head bitten off. Just try being friendly to the staff, you'll be surprised what results it will bring. They are all climbers and want to help you enjoy yourself.
One more tip, don't go down at 8.30 on Tuesday night and expect everyone to jump to what you say - use common sense. Think how you like to be approached.
Carl Price 20 Feb 2004
In reply to Dave D:

I just wanted to complain about the free beer running out the other day, oh, and is the 'free Mercedes with every climb' promotion still on at weekends?

Regards,

Carl.
OP Anonymous 21 Feb 2004
In reply to Dave D: I crocked myself on Thursday night, and the staff were excellent. Even gave me DD's home address to send the compen claim to!
ceri 23 Feb 2004
In reply to Dave:
Sorry. I dont mean to be always complaining about the place! Its just that noone ever starts a thread about "isnt awesome a lovely wall".

I'm not sure what you could do aboput the lights anyway, short of natural light, its always hard to distinguish colours in artificial light. This is why i never mention it to staff.
As for complaining about routes, i think it is true that it was a while between september and any new grade 4-6 lead routes, but to be honest, it didnt stop us going. And the complaints about me being a short-arse and not reaching tall routes is not just true or awesome, but found generally indoors (all route setters seem to be tall). Simon knows what Rob and I think about reachy routes, as he is the one we usually manage to complain to.

On the whole, i think that Awesome is a good wall. It is a lot cheaper than NWF, and with more to do (for me anyway).
Simon Aldridge 23 Feb 2004
In reply to ceri:

I haven't set any routes for a while so i'm definately not responsible for setting reachy routes this time!! None of the present crop of routes have been set by anyone over 5'7". I don't think that you can call them tall. I always appreciate your feed back and look forward to talking to you again soon.
ceri 23 Feb 2004
In reply to Simon:
I know, your routes arent reachy particularly, just have some slightly odd moves. This can be a good thing, as you have to use your brain a bit, but sometimes can be annoying (if you cant do them!). Not sure if the "reachy " thing really applies to the current routes or not (except for the lime at the left end of the vertical wall, with a dyno in it for me) as i havent been in for a bit (been going away at weekends).
see you
ceri
OP philgb 23 Feb 2004
In reply to Simon Aldridge:

Accurate but doesn't give the whole picture, most of the routes may have been set by someone only 5'7" tall but he is Jamie C... arms like a gorilla, cranks like a b*****d, and just won the latest round of the BICC (well done Jamie). Even by his own admission many of the latest routes are a bit cruxy... so whilst some routes are fine if you are tall, they are almost impossible unless you are climbing well above the grade you are attempting.

Not a complaint.. just an observation

ps I'm tall
Peter Burden (ancient climber) 23 Feb 2004
In reply to PeteT:
We (like others) are going to Awesome and Liverpool each week - (although we did manage some routes/bouldering at Helsby last thursday), which shows the advantages and disdvantages of the 2 best walls in the region.
What I've heard from a number of climbers is that they would appreciate some improvements at Awesome Walls, the major points are:-
1. Lighting is patchy and dim in places and extra spots would help us older folk whose eyesight is not so good.
2. Low temperatures may be good for winter training and young warm bloods, but my scarf gets in the way, on the big slab - which is the warmest place. Warrington is warmer.
3. This may be contentious, but there is inconsistency in the grades,with extreme long reaches quite common. I know it is difficult to set a broad spectrum of routes but Warrington seem to do better.
Peter
OP mattci 25 Feb 2004
In reply to PeteT:
I'm a regular face at Awesome Walls, Dave and staff know about some of your concerns, however suprisingly enough they are not mind readers! Pls let them know if you have corncerns at the time they arise.Im sure your suggestion are welcome but don't go over old ground...

Awesome is without doubt the most friendly centre I've climbed at and i've been round a few. Well done guys!

ian woodcock 20 Mar 2004
In reply to ceri
i have found that some routes can be a bit 'reachy' for the grade, but surely that can be a good thing to make you try that bit harder and subsequently improve your grades. not a reason to complain, surely. is it?
 Andy Farnell 20 Mar 2004
In reply to ian woodcock: Exactly my thinking. I was down there this morning/afternoon and found the routes hard work, but as training they are excellent.

If they weren't hard you wouldn't get better would you?

Andy F
 yer maw 21 Mar 2004
In reply to ian woodcock: I'd rather have a smaller hold closer than have to be dynamic in moving for holds. Those type of moves aren't sound training for the outdoors at VS/HVS grades where you simply don't lunge at holds when on-sighting.
 David Hooper 21 Mar 2004
In reply to PeteT: I visit Awesome regularly and like the staff there- some who have become friends. But I do have one big moan which keeps getting ignored. "GET RID OF THE SHITTY INSTANT COFFEE AND BUY A DECENT CAPPUCINO MACHINE WITH FLAVOURED SYRUPS AS WELL - ESPECIALLY HAZELNUT". Ah thats better.
OP cliff hangar 06 Apr 2004
In reply to PeteT:

I know nothing about this venue but I am very interested in getting the lighting right at climbing walls, so give us some bright (arf arf) ideas!

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...