UKC

Ice Factor welcomes 10,000th visitor

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Fort Person 19 Feb 2004
Good to see the Ice Factor is a great success and long may this continue.

Lochaber is also going for "Outdoor Capital of the UK" status.
Removed User 19 Feb 2004
In reply to Fort Person:
> Good to see the Ice Factor is a great success and long may this continue.
>
> Lochaber is also going for "Outdoor Capital of the UK" status.

Lets face it they couldn't have had a better winter to open in could they?

How much do they charge as a matter of interest. Assuming every visitor spends £10.00 that's £100K they've earned in ~8 weeks = £12.5K per week. About the same as a pub perhaps but with bigger overheads.

Norrie Muir 19 Feb 2004
In reply to Removed User:

Dear Eric

Not all visitors pay. When we went, we never participated in climbing the ice wall, only looked. It looked impressive. We did spent some money however in the Tailrace and it was more than a tenner and bought a carry-out in the Co-op.

Norrie
 Ian Kirkham 19 Feb 2004
In reply to Fort Person:
Yes, great place and may it just be the start of a trend for more ice walls.

I vote we have one built down Reading way - soon.
Anyone fancing chipping in?
YOUTH 20 Feb 2004
In reply to Fort Person:
it is good to see that it is a success i thought it strsnge that it would go there and not the fort but i suppose the grant was a sort of area development thing and kinlochleven sure needed it.
although i dont think the people of that area will be that well benefitted?
OP George the Greek 20 Feb 2004
In reply to Norrie Muir:
I don't think they have someone at the door counting individual visitors, it may perhaps mean 'paying visitors', otherwise it would just be a guess.
You like talking about your beer cosumption?
Norrie Muir 20 Feb 2004
In reply to George the Greek:
> You like talking about your beer cosumption?

Dear George

If you trawl through all my postings, you will not find me talking about my beer consumption. The simple reason for this is I do not drink beer, however, I do drink other bevvy.

The reason we spent money in the Tail Race, was we required to wear a helmet on the wonderful ice wall. Well I never have and never will wear a helmet ice climbing only on a motor bike.

Norrie

PS I am not criticising the Ice Factors H & S Policy, they have to look after their clients.

OP the estivator 20 Feb 2004
In reply to Removed User:
A city pub maybe. Can't see the Antler bar taking in that sort of money!
I would say the overheads were about 15 metres higher than a pub!
Seriously, as a percentage of income I wonder if the overheads are greater? Now that the wall is built, the costs of maintaining it must surely be lower than stocking booze in a busy pub, and re-stocking is not an issue. Staff wages will be similar. A busy pub will use as much ice as the wall! I'm not having a go at you, but pubs are notorious for going bust. Anyone who drinks in The Lorne in Oban will know all about that one!!!!!
As for the winter, totaly agree.
OP Alan Mullet 20 Feb 2004
In reply to Norrie Muir: What a guy! The only benefit being that one day that large lump of rock or ice will surely knock some sense into you.
Norrie Muir 20 Feb 2004
In reply to Alan Mullet:

Dear Alan

Have you not heard the expression - "The good die young", well I have been active in the hill for over 40 years without a helmet. The reason I am not dead yet, is I realise I am not good. I can live with that.

Norrie
In reply to Norrie Muir: Don't know about not being good. I've seen your name in the guidebooks!

After reading your post on soloing i'm also surprised your still alive!

Very impressive list though.
Norrie Muir 20 Feb 2004
In reply to Alan Mullet:

Dear Alan

Thanks, but you should not be impressed, I'm not. If I knew the names of all the routes I did the list would have been longer. I never used a rope when I climbed on the grit either.

Norrie
In reply to Norrie Muir: I've climbed most of the routes you mention. But I wouldn't contemplate soloing them. But i'm shite, a wimp and enjoy sex too much for that!

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...