UKC

weight gain to improve performance?

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
sharkey 21 Feb 2004
just before i go to work...

i was thinking a the wall last night that i haven't put any weight on through climbing. i've weighed between 10 and 10 1/2 stone for the last 3 years, and i was just wondering whether my climbing performance would increase if i was to gain some weight...
my reasoning being that i haven't put much weight on so far through climbing, which could explain why i don't seem to be getting that much stronger...and i don't know if my sessions at the wall have made me any stronger at all. i'm trying to go more often, and concentrate on circuits to try and build up pure strength and stamina, but i don't know whether this will work on my 'skinny' frame...i've had a few people comment that i should put on some weight, including my doctor; apparently the optimum weight for my height is around 11 stone (i'm 5.11). i eat pretty healthily, and do a fair amount of walking every day (about 2-3 miles - train station to college and back, bus stop to my house, etc.)

any thoughts?

sharkey (confused, as always)
OP iain hill 21 Feb 2004
In reply to sharkey:

big muscles aren't nescessarily any stronger, its all about recruitment-how many of the fibres in your muscle you can get to contract-when muscles any near their maximum recuitment level the grow any way,
try eating more protien though, and have bigger muscles means they are less likely to get injured..
JoHNY 21 Feb 2004
In reply to sharkey:

To be honest mate you look good to me. You climb good too, maybe you should do what you advised me yesterday, train harder. As far as putting on weight is concerned, maybe eat a little more carbo, spuds and such. Although i don't think you really need to. If you feel well and are not hungry all the time, then your probably at your optimum weight.
OP sharkey at work 21 Feb 2004
In reply to ian:
yeah, i know big muscles don't necessarily equal strength, but i was just pondering that maybe because my arms are, well, quite 'slim' (in proportion with the rest of me i guess) that they weren't working at their optimum for strength gain.

hmmm.

to JoHNY:

hehe, cheers mate, although i don't agree with you about my climbing :oP
i should probably train harder. trouble is i can't afford to go to the wall as often as i'd like to...but i think i might splash out and buy a monthly ticket at one of the walls...hum. andy suggested swimming as well, i might investigate that one.
as for the eating thing, i dunno, i think i eat pretty well - i usually end up finishing off other people's leftovers at college/home because i'm still hungry. hmmm.

OP Anonymous 21 Feb 2004
In reply to sharkey at work: You have email
 Dominion 21 Feb 2004
In reply to sharkey:

Have a look out for Performance Rock Climbing by Dale Goddard and Udo Neumann

Your library may be able to order a copy for you

ISBN 0-8117-2219-8

published by Stackpole Books
OP sharkey at work 21 Feb 2004
In reply to Dominion:

unfortunately we don't have it in the borough, but i might be able to get it on laser though (inter-library loan)...or bromley might decide to actually buy it!

in reply to mr anonymous:

thanks for the email, but i'm not really after a 'quick fix solution' - i have a shoulder injury that i don't want to aggravate, and i feel that if i was to train with weights as well as climb i would end up regressing to the point i was at before my year of physio. thanks for the advice though, i may bear it mind.

i shall just climb more (if i can) and see how things go.
Stefan Lloyd 21 Feb 2004
In reply to sharkey: I'd stay skinny while you can. If you are like most people, you will be struggling to keep your weight down in 10 years time. You probably don't believe it now - just wait.

Jay218 21 Feb 2004
In reply to sharkey at work: No probs Jamie (Mr anonymous)

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...