UKC

belay police at Kendal Wall

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
richard 12 Mar 2001
anyone else had acceptable belaying (ie holding down the bit on a gri-gri to give slack to a leader) attacked to extent of being 'offered' a 'better' device like a ATC? i had and wasn't pleased as just then a more local climber who was rather good and friendly with the people then allowed a partner to plummet in an entertaining way before catching them. no response from the police except a laugh.
Iain McTaggart 12 Mar 2001
If you read the instructions for a grigri it says be careful when doing that. It doesn't say don't do it. I have seen people dropped from doing it though.
loz 14 Mar 2001
likewise ive seen plenty of people dropped using an atc, come to think of it the biggest fault of users of the gri-gri are not reading the instructions. ive seen people not holding the dead part of the rope, just pulling the lever and marvelling at the speed of a) the descent of the leader b) the speed of the rope running though the belay....

it really puts a chill through seing beginners with a gri-gri..

at the end of the day. belay police are there for youre well being and i try and remember that, no matter how much i find them irritating.

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...