UKC

South Manchester Climbing

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 Grover 04 Oct 2001
Heard a rumour yesterday that someone is looking to build a new wall in South Manchester. Didsbury area I think.

Has anyone else heard anything about a new wall?
linz 05 Oct 2001
In reply to Grover: i know theres the rope race in marple, but if there building any new ones id like to know as i live in south manchester myself
OP Grover 06 Oct 2001
In reply to linz:

Yeah Rope Race in Marple is close to me and IMHO has the best non-elitist friendly atmosphere of any wall. Unfortunately the facilities are a little run down and tired despite continuous rumours of improvements and expansion.

These improvements at Marple or a new wall in south Manchester with the atmosphere of Rope Race would be fantastic. Let's hope something comes along soon.
OP Grover 08 Nov 2001
In reply to Grover:

Has anyone heard anything about this yet?

sarah 27 Nov 2001
In reply to Grover:

Yep agree Rope Race is good, I learnt to climb there when I was at the local college (Ridge Danyers, Marple) so spent loads of time there! But also agree it is looking a bit tred and old and not much change, well except for that huge new blue wall!

Have any of you tried Salford Universitys climbing wall, a lot smaller that Rope Race but prolly more routes at more varying grades! Mainly bouldering and theres a competion on at the moment! (Can you tell I go to Salford Uni & spend all my time in there!)

Its a good place to try for a change if you live in south manchester! Its 15 miles from Marple and depnding on the time of day (ie traffic) it can take from between 1 hour and 1/2 drive from Marple or a 3/4 hour train trip from Marple (I live in Marple so now this info for a fact!)

Also there iss Brougton wall (near Salford!)

Another climbing wall in south manchester would be great though!

Is there any news of a new one?????
CaptainScarlet 28 Nov 2001
In reply to Grover:

Salford uni wall is by far the greatest in the area, well organised bouldering comps twice yearly, and some very worthwhile lead stuff. The broughton wall's only for headcases, I think the easyiest grade is 5c.

ex-sumc chairman

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...