UKC

Arc'teryx gear, any good?

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
JH 16 Mar 2004
I have committed to buying a pair of Theta LT pants which are absurdly cheap, less than half price. I think the shop has made a mistake, never mind.
Anyway I know their stuff is very expensive but is it any good? Does anybody own any Arc'teryx gear? Can anybody afford it? Comments please!

Cheers
JH
BONG 16 Mar 2004
In reply to JH:

Most review that I have read concerning Arcteryx gear seem to have the same massage: "I so want to criticise it simply because its so expensive and overpriced, yet it is so well thought out I can't pick on anything....etc.."

In the UK though, I doubt many people have the money to own them, they're so expensive in the states and canada already, add on the huge mark up in the UK not many people have a chance. I'm thinking about their softshells though, a few people seem to own some of those over here.

Why don't you tell me how much they are and where you can get them? I wonder if I can get cheaper.....
OP Ken A 16 Mar 2004
In reply to JH: If i had the money i d just buy arcteryx clothing.
Profanisaurus Rex 16 Mar 2004
In reply to Ken A:

Gotta agree - I've got a Gamma SV jacket and it is the f*ckin dogs bollox. I've worn it in the Alps, Scotland, Rjukan, down the pub, cannot fault it. Pricey, but the best piece of kit I own.
Removed User 16 Mar 2004
I have an arcteryx sidewinder sv and it's awesome. HOwever, I only bought it because it was in a 50% sale, and even then it was 190 quid! My personal thoughts are only buy if your rich, or it's in the sale as other slightly cheaper brands (Mountain Hardwear, PAtagonia etc) are almost as good.
JH 17 Mar 2004
In reply to BONG: So the general oppinion is that Arc'teryx gear is pretty good, the reviews I have read from american web sites seem to back this up.

The pants are costing me 210 euros, about 130 quid. I have seen them at the snow+rock shop for 275 pounds. I was going to get a pair of Berghaus stretch big wall pants but couldn't resist the bargain.

I will name the shop when the pants arrive and I see that all is ok.

Boris!! 17 Mar 2004
In reply to JH:
i've got the following arcteryx gear:

Bora 60l pack
Theta AR goretex
Sigma AR windstopper jacket
Gamma MX hoody
Gamma Lt pant
Various baselayers

All this kit is so well designed it's almost unbelieveable. Very expensive at full price which I paid for most of this stuff but I justified it by the amount of use/abuse it gets.
BONG 17 Mar 2004
In reply to Boris!!:

Please tell me where you live, and which cupboard you store your gear.

Only want to say hi.....promise....
LINDHOLM 17 Mar 2004
In reply to JH: I've gor the Beta Jacket. bought it in Denmark where I live. and yes it was expensive but the fabric, sewings and fitting was all of great quality...

thats all I can say

Lindholm
 Stefan Kruger 17 Mar 2004
In reply to JH:

I do own various bits and bobs of Arc'teryx kit. It's simple, really: you get what you pay for. Non plus ultra.
 Martin M 19 Mar 2004
In reply to JH:
I've got a pair of the Theta pants that I've been using this winter. They are great to wear, they fit really well, none of the flapping about you get with some others and don't feel like a shell, more like a covering on the fleece layer you are wearing. They are not bulky either. My only criticism is that the zips do not fully open so you have to step into them which could be expensive if you had crampons on. I normally have them on before I need crampons so haven't seen the problem. No doubt they are pricey, I got mine for £140 so a very good deal. I'm not sure I'd extend to £280 for them. Overall the best gore-tex saloppetes I've used.

M
 Ben C 19 Mar 2004
In reply to JH: Sell all your old gear on here and buy Arc' thats what ive done it is the dogs.

Alpha SV Jacket, Alpha SV Bib, Fission SV Jacket, Gamma MX Pant, Gamma MX HOODY, Easyrider Jacket, Skaha Shirt & Pant, Covert Collar Zip & PSI V-Neck. N a wooly hat !

Yes i look a sponsored nob jockey. But this kit is awesome worn it in Aconcagua, Alps Winter, UK, Nepal.

Schoeller material & DWR finished products in my opinion far superior to Pertex etc.
Eline 21 Mar 2004
In reply to JH:

Have the Theta wms jacket, old version in 'normal' gtx, bought it@REI-outlet.com for around $300 incl.postage, 3 yrs ago. Never been happier with a jacket in my life!! Its all very expensive, but indeed, just great. Only thing is: its slightly starting to delaminate along the seams on both arms (still waterproof though), so sending it beck to Arc'teryx and we'll see if their service is as good as the gear...
I worked in an outdoor shop for 5 yrs, and people came back with all brands, TNF jackets falling apart, Berghaus leaking etc, but never had someone complaining about Arc'teryx EVER!!!

Eline
OP jimmyv not logged in 23 Mar 2004
In reply to JH: i think i have the beta jacket too. i found two problems, firstly, that the front is a bit bulky compared to some of the newer slimline jackets and secondly that with the hood up, but not zipped up, the two sections that would normally come together to cover up the mouth when zipped up properly get in the way when placing screws or searching for gear on my harness. the end result is that i nearly never climb in my goretex, use a schoeller jacket and wished i had bought a paclite for emergencies...anyone else?
JH 23 Mar 2004
In reply to JH: The pants are excellent, well worth what I paid, I doubt that I would pay the full price though, have seen them on snow and rock for 275 quid.
It is difficult to say if any of the top makes are worth the full price, I suppose only time will tell. If tey fall to bits in the Alps this summer or Argentina this winter be sure I will tell all...

Oh, nearly forgot the shop is George Fisher in Keswick. But I think I got the last pair. Good luck..

JH
Jon Cook 23 Mar 2004
In reply to Boris!!: Hey Boris, how's tricks? Am in the states at the mo so if I see any shiny kit from your biggest addiction I may have to spend dome of my beens!
Vockner 24 Mar 2004
In reply to JH: My name is vockner the third and i am the greatest rock climber in the south of germany you must listen to me ice climbing is crap so stick to indoor climbing it is far far easier

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...