UKC

Krabs for racking

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
DTE 19 Mar 2004
Which Krabs do people use for racking?
I personally use a fader asymmetrical D with a straight gate, but I realised I have a lot of these biners on my harness to rack gear.
I thought it would be better to have some biners with a lot wider end to rack more gear onto one biner, so that I don't need so many.
Will be interested to hear what other people use.
DTE
 Graham Taylor 19 Mar 2004
In reply to DTE:
I use a few different sort so i can fint the right gear without looking, i always found i got the wrong stuff if i had the same crabs
DTE 19 Mar 2004
In reply to Graham Taylor:
Interesting, I hadn't thought of it like that.
Thx
DTE
 GrahamD 19 Mar 2004
In reply to DTE:

I tend to rack larger bits of gear on their own krab so in summer its only really wires I rack like this. I just use 'standard' D snapgates (NOT ovals)without any problem. Other people I know do use larger krabs and I really don't think there is any benefit. In winter, larger krabs are better simply because they are easier to handle with gloves.
 CENSORED 19 Mar 2004
In reply to DTE: It rather depends on your competence. A mte of mine, let's call him 'bob' used to have a tendency to drop his gear when placing it.

So lot's of gear on one krab would leave little gear for the remainder of the pitch!

Worst case with bob was on one pitch, dropping a krab full of nuts swiftly followed by a krab with 4 cams on at the next placement!
OP chris tan 19 Mar 2004
In reply to DTE:

Stubai easyclips - there is no hook on the nose of the karabiner to catch on your wires.
OP Anonymous 19 Mar 2004
In reply to chris tan: These don't seem to be about any more but the new Wild Country Oxygen's have the same nose profile.

This though can cause some problems with multiple items on a frabs such as wires, where they may slip past the nose and off, where as with the normal nose krabs these with hold most of the wires stopping them falling off.

I think its a two way think. The best thing to do if you want to try the cleaner nose profile is probably go to a shop and see how things such as wires hold on the different types of krab.
 GrahamD 19 Mar 2004
In reply to CENSORED:

I dropped ALL my small wires in the sea during a February attempt on Lucky Strike. Its not a pleasent situation to be in ! (as well as expensive)
John Lambert 19 Mar 2004
In reply to DTE:
Nuts are racked on Wild country wiregates. Blue for 3-8 red for 9-13 (bd stoppers) Same colour coding for large and small hexes. Cams on Simmond bogey's (I think)
Daniel 19 Mar 2004
Ovel Krabs seem quite popular over here, think I might get some. Will let you know how I get on with them...
 GrahamD 19 Mar 2004
In reply to Daniel:

Personally, I think Oval Krabs are a disaster for racking - you can't easily see which way the gate opens which means that loads of dropped wires are always a possibility. I had one once because it was cheap and I really wasn't too sad to have to sacrifice for an abseil retreat !
Keith Lester 23 Mar 2004
In reply to GrahamD: I agree with you GrahamD, I bought a set of swedges and they come on an oval krab, you just never can tell which end is which, and I nearly lost the lot doing the traverse on Excalibur on Garbh Bheinn. My nutter sits on it now (too tight to toss it away)
OP Davey Wavey 24 Mar 2004
In reply to DTE:

I use mainly DMM prowires (can't fit tons of gear on them though, but very light), with teeny little Faders wiregates for nuts (not rated to hold a fall, but they're really nice to use and weight virtually nothing).
Daniel 26 Mar 2004
In reply to DTE: Got some Wiregate Ovel biners last night, they are excellant you can get a ton of wires each one and with the wiregate there is no danger of getting confused to what side to clip it on with

Daniel

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...