UKC

Climbing In Northern Germany

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Alex Purser 01 Apr 2004
I've already done the search thing for this (so no complaints about cluttering up rocktalk please)

However, this turned up hardly anything, that I could find anyway.

I digress.

Does anybody know of any climbing outdoors in Northern Germany, within 2 hours of Bremen?

Info, maps, links, etc all gratefully received.
Majtom. 01 Apr 2004
In reply to Alex Purser:

I think you will find his particularly useful,

Bad Segeberg

Im Kurout Bad Segeberg, zu erreichen uber die Al Hamburg. Lubeck, Ausfahrt Bargeheide, finden alljarhrlich die Karl-May-Festspiel statt. Kulisse der Freicllichtbuhne sind bis zu 20 meter hohe Gipsfelsen. Nach der festspielsaison und auberhalb sonstiger Spielzeiten, finden hier die Kletterer ihre Buhne. Etwa 30 Routen stehen ihnen zur Verfugung . Das weiche Gestein wird durch das rauhe Klima stark angegriffen, so dab man in den Routen, Schwierigkeitsgrad 2 bis 7, ofter auf brucharge Passagen trifft.

Yours
Tom
 Simon 01 Apr 2004
In reply to Alex Purser:

Hertz Mountains are good as there is some stuff there

the Frankenjura (not spulled correctly) is pretty well documented...

Si

Profanisaurus Rex 01 Apr 2004
In reply to Alex Purser:

Get there early otherwise before the beach towel get spread out at the base of all the routes.....

I'll get me coat now, shall I?
Alex Purser 01 Apr 2004
In reply to Majtom.:

Sounding good thus far.

What sort of climbing is it?

Is it predominantly trad, sport, bouldering?
Single or multi-pitch?

Any other business?
Alex Purser 01 Apr 2004
In reply to Simon:

So whereabouts are these Hertz mountains then?
AlanKolic 02 Apr 2004
In reply to Simon:

Isnt the Frankenjura in Southern Germany?
 Smitz 02 Apr 2004
In reply to AlanKolic:
> (In reply to Simon)
>
> Isnt the Frankenjura in Southern Germany?
Very Southern, as I recall

Smitz 02 Apr 2004
In reply to Alex Purser: Where in Nothern Germany are you going? Just out of interest...
Richard Ashcroft 02 Apr 2004
In reply to Alex Purser:

"As a climbing area, the Harz is probably more of a 'family-area'. This is not the meeting place of the climbing elite."

Sounds good to me.

http://home.tiscalinet.de/ockier/harz1.htm

OP nniff 02 Apr 2004
In reply to Alex Purser:

The closest is probably the Ith, roughly between Hameln and Hildesheim. Also sometimes called Holzen Ith. A series of outcrops on top of a ridge. very scenic, primarily bolted (big rings). Cross betwene limestone and sandstone. Nice. Bar/restaurant at the top, and campsite. also a small airfield on top of the ridge(useful if you are rich, or to help find it on the map)

As a rough guide

http://www.multimap.com/map/browse.cgi?X=1062500&Y=6775000&width=50...

About 3 hours away is Freyr in Belgium - top destination, near Namur, (Dinant, to be precise)
ianv 02 Apr 2004
In reply to Alex Purser:
Seem to remember Iith has aquite a lot of climbing
Dont bother with Freyr, its rubbish
Echternach on the German/Luxembourg boarder is good if quite small bolted sandstone in a great setting
OP nniff 02 Apr 2004
In reply to ianv:

Horses for courses - but where else are you going to go if you are resident on the coast, on the northern edge of the north German plain?

THe Ith does have 'quite a lot of climbing' - it does have its own guidebook, but it is just outcrops.

What did you take exception to at Freyr?

There is another crag on the Belgium/Germany border - near Vogelsang somewhere - conglomerate/puddingstone stuff - damned if I can remember what it's called though. Chalk free ethic, becuase once you know which pebbble has the incut behind it, the grades drops about three points.
OP nniff 02 Apr 2004
In reply to Alex Purser:

freyr - make your own mind up if it's worth a look

http://www.wspinek.fr.pl/html/galeria/freyr.htm
Alex Purser 02 Apr 2004
Thanks for all the help so far.

Any more?
 Carless 02 Apr 2004
In reply to ianv:

I'm impressed that you say Freyr is rubbish, and recommend Ith.
Ith is good, but Freyr is infinitely better.
I assume you only climbed the polished 4cs.

The crag is Luxembourg is called Berdorf. Superb - but now with an irritating permit system.
 Doug 02 Apr 2004
In reply to Alex Purser:

Can't remember off hand where Bremen is exactly, but theres some impressive chalk cliffs on the island of Rügen (NE coast) - ideal if you like 'Fowleresque' type adventures.

Bersdorf is a great little crag, but I've not been since the permit system came in
 Smitz 02 Apr 2004
In reply to Alex Purser: Hey Alex, my parents live up north in the Fatherland, near Hamburg, where I visit them quite a lot. Before coming to RT.com, I always thought it was flat zas the netherlands, let us know what you find and what you think of it?
Cheers
Alex Purser 03 Apr 2004
Thanks so far. Great suggestions.

I'm looking into them all.
(except the Frankenjura! Do you know the difference between north/south Simon?)

Any more that people can suggest?
Alex Purser 03 Apr 2004
In reply to Smitz:

I'll try to remember to let you know.
Waldmeister 05 Apr 2004
In reply to Alex Purser:
From Bremen the best and closest area is undoubtly the Ith

Look at the best website for all areas in the north of Germany www.kletternimnorden.de

In Bremen there is also a new nice climbing wall where you can get climbing partners, who will show you the real rocks

see http://www.der-bunker.net/
OP Alex Purser in Germany 07 Apr 2004
Right then.
I'm about to leave Bremen in search of rock.
The weather looks pretty bad. Thunder and lightning, storms. But with sun in between.

Hoping for at least SOME dry rock!

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...