UKC

Base layer for summer alps

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
kurt_c 21 May 2004
Need to buy some base layers.

- What's the difference between Driflo and Powerstretch? Are Merino alternatives better?
- Also, which is the best gear shop in Cham? Snells? Cham 3S looks pretty stocked.
- I also need to rent boots, preferably Nepal Extremes, before I decide on buying a pair. Know a good place?
All advice appreciated. Thanks.
OP chris tan 21 May 2004
In reply to kurt_c:

If you just want to try out merino wool, some Aldi supermarkets still have them in XS, S, L & XL for £9.99
 gear boy 21 May 2004
In reply to chris tan:dont recommend merino in the heat of the midday sun, doesnt moisture draw like synthetics, good on warmth though, i use thin base i.e. dryflo type, then powerstretch on top, depends on how early you get up, as to shop in cham, i used to use Sanglard sports down towards the balmat statue
OP Graham B 21 May 2004
In reply to kurt_c:
I think you'll cook in PowerStretch in the Alps in Summer. Likewise all but the thinnest merino. I was cooked in a merino plus driclime (nowt else) in April. All depends exactly where you're going, what you're doing, own metabolism etc etc. Powerstretch is def OTT as a 'base layer' in all but truely baltic conditions. In my opinion.
OP Anonymous 21 May 2004
In reply to kurt_c:

The Summer Alps are hot!

For rock climbing there, I wear pretty well what I wear in Britain. I am not familiar with all current brand names but, for a "base-layer", all I have ever used is lightweight Lifa stuff.

For sure you do _not_ need full-on furry Winter gear!
 GrahamD 21 May 2004
In reply to kurt_c:

The main thing is that you get long sleeves and a light colour because, with luck, you will be in the full glare of the sun.
Jon Wickham 21 May 2004
In reply to kurt_c: You might want to look at Polartech _PowerDry_ rather than powerstretch. Also Aldi sell Coolmax t-shirts for a fiver!

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...