UKC

Sunglasses for the Alps

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Andrew Compson 28 May 2004
Hi all

Has anyone a recommendation for suglasses suitable for Mont Blanc and a few other Alpine peaks, (though nothing too technical)?

Cheers

Andrew.
Removed User 28 May 2004
In reply to Andrew Compson:

Anything cheap thats curves round at the edges (but make sure that the lenses filter out the harmful UV rays)

If you buy expensive ones you just end up worrying about them all the time.

If I were you I'd wait til you get out there to get some.

Loads more choice.

Ive just got some bog standard, cheap ones which filter out UV, im just going to adapt them with some kind of material to make them into a crap version of glacier sun glasses which still work. seems to make sense to me
 vscott 28 May 2004
In reply to Andrew Compson: get ce cat 4 glasses- especially for easy routes where your surrounded by large snow fields all the time. As above, wait until your there, you can get pretty cheap ones (look dreadful but work) up to ridiculously expensive.

Have fun
OP Anonymous 28 May 2004
make sure there isn't a big gap under yours eyes as well. maybe i just have a funny shaped head but some leave a big gap. (my eyes have never hurt so much as the next day...)
m0nkeyboy minus cookies 28 May 2004
In reply to vscott:

Just one more point, don't drive in Glacier glasses, tis illegal, bastards will find you for anything
OP Anonymous 31 May 2004
In reply to Andrew Compson: hot tip: if you lose, break or otherwise knacker your sunnies in the mountains, covering your eyes with a clear plastic bag can help stop UV rays from damaging your retinas, and causing snow blindness.
hang 'em high 01 Jun 2004
I also heard if you lose your glasses you can protect your eyes from frostbite by putting your spare socks over them...or was that your hands?
 Airtime! 01 Jun 2004

Any cat 4 glasses that filter uv as already said.
Can buy them over there for pittance. Generally look
pretty sh1te but do the job. Enjoy your trip.
Matt Jones 01 Jun 2004
In reply to Andrew Compson: What you want is a big pair of old Oakley M-frames that reflect an image of the mountains well fo your mate to take a 'K2' style posing shot of you

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...