UKC

Knot

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
tom (not the registered one :) 01 Jun 2004
hello,

i did a "climbing introducers course" a little while ago, when i learnt all the knots (figure of eight etc) i can still tie some of them. But heres my question-

please tell me which knot are needed to climb at a climbing wall- the one to tie the rope to the hareness, the lock knot and (maybye) the one that can be used like a belay.

thanx
OP andC@work 01 Jun 2004
In reply to tom (not the registered one :

1- figure 8 knot
2- munter hitch

Buy a belay device instead!
Alex Purser 01 Jun 2004

The double bowline is good for tieing in to the harness.
When a fig 8 has been loaded (ie a fall), it's dificult to undo.

The double bowline is much easier to undo, but harder to visually check that it's correct.

I would advise you to find out how to do a double bowline, but only use it if you're 100% confident you got it right.
If not, the use the fig 8, since it's much easier to check visually.

N.B. DOUBLE BOWLINE MUST BE BACKED UP WITH A STOPPER KNOT!!!
Alex Purser 01 Jun 2004

Leave the munter hitch alone until you are more experienced, and know where/when/how it is appropriate to be used, and of course, how to use it.

Pretty much any standard belay device (wild country variable controller, black diamond air traffic controller etc) seems suitable for your needs.
DonnalaB 01 Jun 2004

Always use a figure of 8 to tie onto your harness. They may well be hard to undo when they have been loaded but you can tell easily if they are done incorrectly.

Buy a belay plate!
Iain Ridgway 01 Jun 2004
In reply to tom (not the registered one : I use afig. of 8, ok they can tighten after a fall, but breaking the back has always undone it.
john H 01 Jun 2004

you could either get the Knots booklet from the BMC, have a look at any basic climbing book in your local library or search on WWW, ive found a few on askjeeves just now.

tom (its me agin) 01 Jun 2004

thanks guys! i (well the club that i go to) has belay devices, but i was just interested in the knot for ..erm.. interest.

thanx again!

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...