UKC

the best places to go climbing in an evening near manchester

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Anonymous 02 Jun 2004
that is the question. ive been to hobson moor but are there many other decent spots not too far to drive/walk to after worK?

TA
 Tyler 02 Jun 2004
In reply to Anonymous:

It depends which side of Manc you live or work. Cheedale is about 1 hrs drive from the south and I'd imagine its not too far to the Lancs quarries from some parts of Manc. Unfortunately there are no really local venus.
 Fiend 02 Jun 2004
In reply to Anonymous:

Chew Valley and Lancashire. Quite a few places between those two.
OP chris tan 02 Jun 2004
In reply to Anonymous:

Use the database http://www.ukclimbing.com/databases/crags/

Search for crags '30' miles from 'manchester'
Witkacy 02 Jun 2004
In reply to Anonymous:

When I lived in south Manchester I often went to Windgather, Catle Naze and Kinder. When I lived in east Manchester I often went to Hobson Moor or Chew Valley crags such as Wimberry. I also investigated a few other small crags about as far away as HM, but they were crap.
 Duncan Irving 02 Jun 2004
In reply to Anonymous:

Here's some collected experience on various afternoon/evening departures from work. All times are for rush hour from city centre. Knock off 25% for off-peak. It depends a lot on whether you are battling to get out of the city or whether you can get onto the M60 easily. These are the closest time-wise from the centre:
Hobson Moor quarry is 40 mins east above Broadbottom. Wiltons 1,2 & 3 45 mins north via Bolton. Pex Hill is 40 mins west along M56 and Helsby is about 10 mins further.

Off-peak ,if you live on the south side as I do, you can reach any of the Eastern Edges within an hour via the Snake Pass and the Staffordshire edges also take about an hour if you are crafty in getting to Macclesfield along the back roads. Add at least another 30 mins for rush hour particulary through Glossop and Stockport for the Peak. Oldham way, you can get to the Chew Valley in about 20 mins from the M60 (walk-ins are all very long) and 30 mins of driving will see you at the mighty Pule Hill. There's also the Longdendale Quarries 10 minutes further out from Broadbottom and New Mills Torrs if it looks like rain as you're heading out to the Peak from Stockport.
 cubanallstar 02 Jun 2004
In reply to Anonymous:

My recommendations would be:

Lancs:
Wilton (trad)
Anglezarch (sp) (trad)
Brownstones (bouldering)
Craig y longridge (bouldering) (current banned access)

Yorks:
Bridestones (bouldering)

Cheshire/Merseyside:
Pex (bouldering)
Frodsham (bouldering)
Helsby(trad)

Peak:
Chee Dale (sport / trad)

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...