UKC

repairing platypus reservoirs??

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Bought mine in spain so cant take it back and its leaking! In the bottom corner the 2 layers of plastic have come apart slightly, so water slowly leaks out.

Anyidea how i can repair it? Would coating the corner in super glue block the small leak? i.e stick the 2 layer back together.

Any suggestions
Juki 11 Jun 2004
In reply to OopzISlippedAgain:
I've got the same problem so any advices are more than welcome.
Michael Kann 11 Jun 2004
In reply to OopzISlippedAgain: could just use a water bottle insteaD - the thread fits lots of evian type bottles...
 Mal Grey 11 Jun 2004
In reply to OopzISlippedAgain: they do make repair patches ("Platypatch") but if the leaks in a seam or right in the corner it may be boogered.

Can't hurt to try sealing it, so long as glue is "food safe", i.e. you ain't gonna poison yourself!
Bill Ford-Smith 11 Jun 2004
In reply to OopzISlippedAgain: If the actual bladder bit is knackered, but the tube bit isn't, it's way cheaper to buy one of the Platy bottles as a replacement than a whole new Hoser.

BTW the new Outdoor Designs things seem worth a look; less vulnerable to leaks caused by repeated folding/flexing, although you need to rinse new ones through, to avoid a slightly bitter taste. Don't have any long-term feedback yet though...
 Bill 11 Jun 2004
In reply to OopzISlippedAgain: Thought they had a lifetime guarantee, so can't you send it back to the company?!
psd 11 Jun 2004

Company website is at http://www.platypushydration.com/index.asp

There are email forms there, so someone might be able to help you out. Hope it helps.

In reply to Bill:

Yeah i could do but im kinda goin away on sunday and need it with me - just looking for some quick fix solutions. thanks for the suggestion though!
SereN 11 Jun 2004
Try ducktaping it (for this sunday).
And then try contacting Platypus, they should replace it I think.
Removed User 11 Jun 2004
In reply to OopzISlippedAgain: Had same problem a few years ago, asked around in the 'quality' climbing retailers and response was same:- 'bout a 1 year lifetime if used hard (I pour boiling or very hot water in my hydration system, for drinking in Winter). I did try to glue it but failed (the bond and me). Cheap answer appears to be to try the Evian bottles, then try the replacement Platypus bladders (replacing when necessary), or switch to a different system. I switched to a Salomon Camelbak-style bladder in 2001 in Arolla (couldn't find a replacement Platypus bladder there), more of a rubber material, it's still going strong despite abuse. Bought an MSR system in 2002 for when the Salomon fails (pessimist) but it's still collecting dust.
Regards.
Cat Nelson 12 Jun 2004
Just got a replacement platypus by taking it back to a shop that I didn't buy it from - some places, especially independents, will send back any faulty gear.
 Martin Stevens 12 Jun 2004

Having had a platypus botle fail in the past due to seam delamination (not punctures) I've returned the faulty item to:

Mr. Lindsay Abbots
First Ascent
Unit 2/7 Limetree Business Park
Matlock
DE4 3EJ

with a covering letter and I've received a brand new platypus pretty much by return of post.
You could try emailing Lindsay@firstascent.co.uk beforehand which might be worthwhile in the event of a puncture, but I'm sure I recall that Platypus offer a 'lifetime warranty' against delamination. I think punctures are your own concern.

HTH, HAND etc.
Martin.

problem solved - managed to super glue the parting of the laminated seems back together, and my fingers at the same time.... no more leaks :-D and i managed to seperate my fingers without any major injuries aswell!!! thanks guys
 jam 13 Jun 2004

Hmm... I've used superglue to repair plastic parts before, and the fixes have been temporary. I don't think that superglue deals well with being repeatedly flexed, so just keep an eye out on your repair, I guess.

Oh, and nail polish remover is useful to unstick fingers.
grynneman 14 Jun 2004
In reply to jam:

Doesn't Superglue work by bonding the water molecules in whatever you are sticking together. Seem to remember when it first came out the only way of unsticking fingers was to leave them submerged in a bowl of water (or is my memory finally slipping).
If this is the case, then the superglue will dissolve in water. Probably a flexible epoxy type glue would fare better (if there is such a thing...)
grynneman 14 Jun 2004
In reply to grynneman:

this may be the stuff...

http://www.plumbworld.co.uk/204-1796
psdatwork 14 Jun 2004
In reply to grynneman:

I seem to remember advice to use the handle of a spoon to slowly pull the skin apart. Never worked out why a fork was a bad idea though. A knife I can understand...

Platypus reservoirs are polythene, basically. And cyanoacrylate adhesives (superglue) don't bond to polythene. You haven't fixed it, you've just plugged the gap. That's my guess.

This sounds like a seam delamination, in which case it should be covered by their warranty. Send it back and get a new one. Of the 57 Platypi I sold on here last year, one failed pretty much straight away, leaving Wingnut with wet shoes...
 jam 14 Jun 2004
In reply to grynneman:

> If this is the case, then the superglue will dissolve in water.

Uh, I think it's a matter of memory failure http://www.intek-uk.com/tx_props.htm
 James Edwards 14 Jun 2004
the 'life time garentee' is a crock of turd. I took anout 8 leaking plats back to tiso who sent them off for me (ive been keeping them instead of throwing them away over the years) and was told the old chestnit about 'the life time off the product' etc etc. This is really anoying as when you buy it the 'lifetime garentee' is a selling point. Otherwise i'd have bought a different stsyem. I now have as plats dont seem to lasy more than a month of daily use (i.e. a summer in the alps etc).
There are now much better materials out there from different manufacturers that have supperceeeded the plat plastic.
j
grynneman 14 Jun 2004
In reply to jam:

Obviously I'll have to use this to prevent memory slippage..

grynneman 14 Jun 2004
In reply to grynneman:
> (In reply to jam)
>
> Obviously I'll have to use this to prevent memory slippage..
>
>

But on saying that, see the following...
http://www.surlok.com/msds/1415.htm

This is for cyanoacrylate based products....
Lindsay Abbotts 14 Jun 2004
In reply to OopzISlippedAgain: Ok wee yin.- Your Platy has delaminated and is therefore covered in the UK even though you bought it abroad as all Platypus has a worldwide warranty. So just send it back to me for replacement to
First Ascent
Unit 2/7 Limetree Business Park
Matlock
Derbyshire DE4 3EJ
Lindsay
 James Edwards 14 Jun 2004
In reply to James Edwards: well, its easy to see on re-reading a post who is having a bad day at work!

I think that i may perhaps indeed have had what is deemed the lifetime of the product out of them...
Remember folks
"light, cheap, strong - you can choose 2 out of the 3, but you'll be lucky to get 3"
james
satori 14 Jun 2004
In reply to Lindsay Abbotts:

Hi Lindsay,

Very kind of you to reply on the thread.

The Weeman was despatched to the Alps for 10 days on Sunday and so he will not have seen this post.

Is he still covered for a replacement even though he has attempted a repair with superglue? (not sure how long that's going to last out on the hill, but he was getting pretty desparate for something to put his water in by saturday.)

If so, i'll make him aware of your post on his return.

Cheers.
Raymond 16 Jun 2004
In reply to OopzISlippedAgain: Ive had the same bad experiences with platy's as expressed above. Gave up on them & got a Camelbak Unbottle instead, much more sturdy that the platy & have also discovered that its great as a camping pillow when filled with water or air!
 Smelly Fox 17 Jun 2004
Just get a camelbak. Allot less stress is well worth the extra price. I see people havin problems with platypus systems all to often and Ive never had issues with my camelbak.
Lurking Dave's Boss 17 Jun 2004
In reply to satori:

Lindsay from First Ascent has emailed satori confirming that Weeman can exchange his platy even though he's bodged a repair so he can use it for his alps trip.

I think he'll be fairly chuffed with that on his return.

Looks like a reasonable service to me.

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...