UKC

climbing in and around manchester

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
rob sykes 16 Jun 2004
recently moved to didsbury from newcastle and am v keen to start getting out in the evenings. however i can't finish work until 5.30pm at the earliest and sitting in traffic for an hour on the m60 and m61 to get to lancs quarries such as wilton whilst burning up with frustration and road rage does not appeal. would much rather leg it over to the east side.

have heard hobson moor is worth a punt of an evening and even went to find the pump house in fallowfield (the risk of losing certain apendages whilst climbing the fence precluded me from going over but people seem v friendly around there - a couple of vicky pollards had left two half eaten doughnuts on my windscreen. v tasty they were too).

i know there's a few on the crag database but any recommendatins for decent evening crags would be great.

cheers

rob
OP chris tan 16 Jun 2004
In reply to rob sykes:

Anything in the Chew Valley!

Den lane, Running hill pits, Uppermill quarries - easy access

Dovestones, whimberry, robs rock - short-ish walk
 Tyler 16 Jun 2004
In reply to rob sykes:

If you work in didsbury then Cheedale is pretty accessible for an evenings cragging. Hobson Moor is pretty limited really.
Witkacy 16 Jun 2004
In reply to rob sykes:

When I worked in Manc I often went to HM straight from work, often alone - it has good traversing and a few easy solos.
PaulFitz 16 Jun 2004
In reply to rob sykes:
I live just down the road in Chorlton been in Manc for 6 yrs

Cant reccomend broughton wall enough very friendly crowd and it has secure parking, but since having fireworks in milk bottles thrown at me have gone off the pumphouse (it was always shit anyway)!

Hobby Moors Good for an evening pump and a few good routes (even better as I work at Tameside general!)

Frodsham great for steep sandstone bouldering, got there in 30 mins from chorlton the other night in my weak engined car, much the same for helsby (routes)

Chew valley great bouldering and routes and takes 30 - 40 mins via M60

Find in the evening snake pass much faster than A6 through stockport and roaches is just about do-able in an evening via macclesfield

Cheers Paul
 Ian Patterson 16 Jun 2004
In reply to Tyler:
> (In reply to rob sykes)
>
> Hobson Moor is pretty limited really.

How can you say such a thing about Manchester's premnier training venue Seriously Hobby Moor may not be the greatest location in the country but it has enough worthwhile routes for a couple of evenings plus excellent training traverses and enough variations and eliminates to keep you busy for a lot longer (there usually plenty of locals around).

A little bit further Pex Hill is pretty easy to reach in an evening (45 mins out, 30 mins back) and has excellent vertical bouldering (sometimes a bit highball). Access to Wilton isn't that bad either particularly after the school holidays start mid-July.
Ian Dunn 16 Jun 2004
In reply to rob sykes: If the weather is bad Climb Rochdale has loads of bouldering, bigger than The Berghaus Wall in Newcastle and 23 ropes of leading wall from grade 3 to 8a.
Tel 01706 524450 or www.climbukltd.com
black nick 16 Jun 2004
In reply to rob sykes:
An easy place to get to is New Mills Torrs. It's just off the A6 going south from Manchester. You can get a bus or train to New Mills and then it's a very short walk to the crag.
The crag's in the Kinder guide and also in the recent Western Grit Rockfax guide
In reply to rob sykes: I might be moving back to south manchester next year, what's the Pump House?
 JDDD 17 Jun 2004
In reply to rob sykes: Hi Rob, I live just up the road in Withington and am always looking to get out during the week. My favourite place at the mo is Hobbson Moor and despite what someone else said, there is loads to do there, especially in the VS / HVS range. Pex Hill is OK and attracts a certain type of climber in my mind with the climbing being bold to say the least. Frodgam is beautiful but for a chemical plant and the M56 but these shouldn't put you off.

Manchester is blessed with two world class traffic jams at Glossop and Stockport which block access to the Eastern Edges, but if you can bare to over come these then for the next few months, excellent climbing can be had in the Peak too!

Give us a mail.
OP Rich W 17 Jun 2004
In reply to rob sykes:

I'm moving from sheffield to didsbury at the end of July to start new job and am totally keen to be getting out in the evenings.

Should join forces to explore?
 JDDD 17 Jun 2004
In reply to Rich W: Blimey - about time. Since Helen R moved to the other side of the world there has been a distint lack of a climbing scene in South Manchester. Alison Bond is often around too!
Joe Mansfield 17 Jun 2004
In reply to rob sykes:

hello fellow mancunians,
Im recently home from university and also live in Didsbury will be around for the next two months and am keen to get climbing email me if you are short of climbing partners.

joe
 sutty 17 Jun 2004
In reply to Joe Mansfield:

It looks like Didsbury is the new Sheffield, all the climbers in the area.

Put the rangefinder for crags up and see which are close, then work out which you can get to in around an hour. Most peak ones are there in an hour and a quarter so leaving work at 5,30 means you are on the crag for around 6.30-7pm leaving a couple of hours climbing before the pub and chippy.
rob sykes 17 Jun 2004
In reply to sutty:

wow! thanks to all for a great and response - loads of ideas and potential climbing partners.

at the risk of incurring the wrath of the loclas, perhaps an informal evening meet up at hobsons moor would be good - perhaps one evening next week weather permitting?

if anyone's interested, can you let me know how we can exchange details without exposing numbers etc. on the site (not that i'm saying people on here aren't to be trusted)

cheers and here's to some evenings out!

rob
rob sykes 17 Jun 2004
In reply to sutty:

wow! thanks to all for a great and response - loads of ideas and potential climbing partners.

at the risk of incurring the wrath of the locals, perhaps an informal evening meet up at hobsons moor would be good - perhaps one evening next week weather permitting?

if anyone's interested, can you let me know how we can exchange details without exposing numbers etc. on the site (not that i'm saying people on here aren't to be trusted)

cheers and here's to some evenings out!

rob
OP chris tan 17 Jun 2004
In reply to rob sykes:

Sounds like a laugh!
OP anony 17 Jun 2004
In reply to chris tan: let us know what evening so i can be elsewhere. no offense intended, just like to avoid the crowds.
OP chris tan 17 Jun 2004
In reply to anony:

John Henry Quarry?
OP anony 17 Jun 2004
In reply to chris tan: there are limits
richard bradley @ work 17 Jun 2004
In reply to Jon Dittman:
Pex Hill is OK and attracts a certain type of climber in my mind with the climbing being bold to say the least.

I'm the biggest wimp in the world and I love Pex. A top rope helps on occation though! Great training venue though.
richard bradley @ work 17 Jun 2004
In reply to Ian Dunn: Are you running a bouldering comp over the summer? Keep us entertained on rainy days?
OP Iain 18 Jun 2004
In reply to sutty:
> (In reply to Joe Mansfield)
>
> It looks like Didsbury is the new Sheffield.....>

Sorry - Can't let you get away with that one!

Mark Tolver 18 Jun 2004
In reply to rob sykes:

I'm the other way round, moved out of Didsbury and over to Hathersage. Anybody else moving to Didsbury want to buy my house on School Lane?
Mark Tolver 18 Jun 2004
In reply to Jon Dittman:
>
> Manchester is blessed with two world class traffic jams at Glossop and Stockport which block access to the Eastern Edges

I could tell you the secret way between the peak and south manc that avoids the jams - do it every day and even in the middle of the rush hour you can do it in under an hour. It'd cost ya tho'!
 alex 18 Jun 2004
That sounds good...

How much will it cost??? Go on, spill those traffic beans!
 Stig 18 Jun 2004
In reply to Mark Tolver: What's that, something to do with Romiley or Charlesworth to get round Glossop?

Even with the quagmire around Glossop it's usually worth getting to the Eastern Edges in the evening at this time of year. Always frustrating getting to the Roaches though.

I'm a Didsbury-dweller as well - would be up for a get together at Hobby Moor sometime. Never heard of the Pumphouse though - WTF!?!
Jay218 18 Jun 2004
In reply to rob sykes:

I'm a didsbury climber also and would be up for a hobby moor meet.
Mark Tolver 18 Jun 2004
In reply to alex:

> How much will it cost???

Well, seeing how valuable I know this info is, I reckon you'd probably have to sell your soul for it. Then again, you work for the BMC - you must've sold it off cheap already. I'm open to offers tho'...

alex 18 Jun 2004
In reply to Mark Tolver:

My soul has been sold to the didsbury devil, you're right. But take pity on a poor wretch trapped in the south manchester wastelands and show me the escape route...
Mark Tolver 18 Jun 2004
In reply to alex:

Oh alright... s'pose I can lead you towards the light. You can just owe me a pint instead.

Ok, Go to Parrs Wood, then down Kingsway past John Lewis, at the roundabout just before Tesco/M&S, turn left towards Woodford. At the end of this road, turn right past the Esso station, down the dip past the Deanwater, at the roundabout just before the unicorn pub turn left towards Adlington/Macclesfield, down the windy road for a bit and at a sharp right turn, there's a road on the left for Adlington. Go down this 'til you get to the lights at the Legh Arms, go straight over towards Pott Shrigley. When you get to Pott Shrigley, just after the church, take the left turn for Whaley Bridge and the Old Brickworks (says Old Prickworks on the sign now). At the end of this you come to a T junction, turn left and go down the hill to Whaley Bridge, turn left at the lights at Whaley Bridge and it'll drop you off at the bottom of the Chapel Bypass and you're sorted. Hey presto, no traffic!
Mark Tolver 18 Jun 2004
In reply to alex:

You could probably shorten this by the way and get to Adlington by going Cheadle - Cheadle Hulme - Portwood roundabout, turn right, up to the fiveways, turn right and go through poynton, then through to Adlington and turn left at the Legh Arms.
 alex 18 Jun 2004
In reply to Mark Tolver:

Nice job! I shall investigate! Pint is owed, and hey, you'd better delete the post now - don't what too many people copying us now...!!
 Daz H 18 Jun 2004
In reply to Stig:

> Even with the quagmire around Glossop it's usually worth getting to the Eastern Edges in the evening at this time of year. Always frustrating getting to the Roaches though.

There's a quick way to the Roaches too. Get on the A34, turn off just before wilmslow (first roundabout after tesco) and head toward Macclesfield via Dean Row on the B5358 which gets you nicely to Macclesfield whilst missing the Stockport/Hazel Grove nightmare. Should take about an hour in rush hour, 45mins on a weekend.
 sutty 18 Jun 2004
In reply to Mark Tolver:

Now you have infomed everyone, yo, you have a convoy

richard bradley @ work 18 Jun 2004
In reply to Daz H: I have a theory that there is no quick way to the Roaches from anywhere. On the map of nowhere, the Roaches is in the middle.

Could just apply to my house though.
Joe Mansfield 19 Jun 2004
In reply to rob sykes:

id be interested in a hobson moor meet

joe

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...